Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
HelpMeOut111

Turning chords into enjoyable music...?

UG,

One thing I struggle with is turning tabs on this site into music that is well, enjoyable. I can't stand just strumming chords or hearing chords... so how does one turn a tab like this

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/m...ll_rock_crd.htm

Into listenable music like this

I do not understand how you go from chords to what that guy is doing.... it makes no sense. Can someone please help to explain what is going on?

Thanks!
HelpMeOut111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
J_W

He's playing something completely different than the tabs you posted. For one, he's finger picking, and for two he's arranged the song so that he's playing the melody as well as the rhythm. You can either try to find tabs that are closer to what this guy is playing, or arrange it yourself to include the melody.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Fretboard Phil

Tabs like you posted are for background while someone sings. If you're like me and can't sing, you are sentenced to finding or making chord melody arrangements. (That's what the post above is referring to.) If you search Amazon for chord melody books of the kind of music you like, you may find something. That'll give you an idea of how to write your own. For example, I searched "chord melody guitar jazz" and got a really good book.
Fretboard Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: