Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
psyco_drew

Where to start when teaching yourself the guitar?

So I've been playing the guitar for maybe 6-7 years now, but I haven't actually learned much. I know the techniques, such as trills, pull-offs, hammer-ons, slides, tremolo picking, sweep picking, etc, yet I don't quite know the theory, or the building blocks of creation and improvisation. I've just been "teaching" myself how to replicate other players and cover my favourite songs. I mainly play metal and I can play most songs by Bullet For My Valentine, All That Remains, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and some Zakk Wylde.
However, I don't know how to make my own music. I know some basic scales, the major/minor and pentatonic scales, but that's about it. I've reached grade 3 in music theory but didn't progress any further, and I don't really know why. I've never had a teacher and I'd like to actually learn how to really play the guitar. I'm tired of noodling and I want to progress. Only, I don't know where to start. Getting a teacher is out of the question, as I live pretty far from the city and I can't drive, and my parents work late. I have Troy Stetina's book on Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar and although it's been helpful, it's not enough. I've been learning everything through tabs and guitar pro.

So I'm asking if anyone knows where I can start, or where I can find a syllabus to follow, or anything else that can help. It would be great if I could be provided with links, and if it were all online, as books are hard to find in my area, and shipping them here (through websites) is difficult.

Thank you, and happy holidays!

Last edited by psyco_drew : 12-27-2012 at 11:25 AM.
psyco_drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Kapoc

http://www.musictheory.net/
is quite a nice site for some basic music theory

however, there are tons of people who dont know theory and still make their own music
i think i can recall an interview with michael schenker where i said he didn't know any music theory at all

EDIT:
Also this Guys Youtube Chanel is quite good
here are two vids i grabbed at random:
Songwriting
Improvisation

Last edited by Kapoc : 12-27-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Kapoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: