Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
JimmyCraig
Dazed and Confounded

How far can the improvisation go?

I am in a band, we play gigs and there are solos in there that are largely improvised....but I want more fun, more of an adventure. I've been thinking of maybe taking one or 2 of our songs and change them up, make it an acoustic, change tempo and when the instruments come in. I want to remove the setlist so we decide which song next right there after the last song, one of us leads the rest in. Just something to change it up...what do you think? if you were to watch a band who did this would it detract from your enjoyment? Maybe other suggestions to mix it up?
JimmyCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Be very aware of your limitations as improvisors. Most people don't have the skills or experience needed to jam out and keep an audiences attention. Ask yourselves "How long can we jam before we start sounded repetitive (at least for non-musicians)?" Also, try to keep the stuff you are improvising over relatively simple.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCraig
I am in a band, we play gigs and there are solos in there that are largely improvised....but I want more fun, more of an adventure. I've been thinking of maybe taking one or 2 of our songs and change them up, make it an acoustic, change tempo and when the instruments come in. I want to remove the setlist so we decide which song next right there after the last song, one of us leads the rest in. Just something to change it up...what do you think? if you were to watch a band who did this would it detract from your enjoyment? Maybe other suggestions to mix it up?

If I didn't know the band and the music it wouldn't matter. If I did know the band and music then it might be annoying, depending on what kind of music it was.

I like metal and I like folk. I could happily listen to a folk band vary things in the ways you've suggested. Metal songs, however, I like to hear them as I know them.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
jrenkert

#GratefulDead

They were the masters of jamming
Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
HotspurJr

What Rockingamer said:

Large-scale improvisations are much more fun to perform than they are to listen to. There's a reason jazz - the musical genre where that's a regular occurence - is a niche music.

Phish are another good example. They not sometimes completely abandon the structure of the song that they're jamming - change chord progressions, keys, you name it, on the fly. Sometimes their improvisation is entirely within a very narrow structure ... but sometimes it's not.

But not everyone can do this. In fact, most people can't. Phish works at it, hard. They actively rehearse listening to each other (you can find some interviews with Trey where he explains in). Their ears and musical knowledge are so well developed that they can pick up sophisticated concepts quickly when another band member starts to play them. They know each other extremely well based on having played together for a very long time (and had been playing together for a long time before they "broke through").

And yet lots of people listen to them and find them totally uninteresting. With the Dead, a lot more people know "Uncle John's Band" than "Dark Star." People listen to "Melissa" or "Blue Sky" far more than they do to "Mountain Jam."

It can be done. But you have to be willing to put in a ton of work, and even if you do, your audience may not be that into it.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: