Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
bytomorrow

Joe Satriani - Flying In A Blue Dream

hey! i really need help with this song (Flying In A Blue Dream by Joe Satriani)

1. how do i get the feedback as accurate as joe does?
2. what are his settings on the amp? (bass, middle, treble, sustain etc.)
3. what effects does he use? including his gear...
4. without spending too much more, what can i incorporate using my equipment to get the closest possible sound? (i have a Gibson Les Paul, a Line 6 Spider IV 75W, an original Crybaby and a Line 6 FBV MkII pedal)

Thanks for all your help !
bytomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
DarthV

Good luck trying to get Joe's tone with a spider. Do a google search and should be able to find pics or vids of his live rig. He uses a ton of different gear.

Feedback is a function of how much gain and sheer volume. He also usually uses both a short delay (longish reverb) and long delay, which helps with feedback. Probably using some wah and phaser to have those feedback frequencies jump out.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
samuraigoomba

I remember hearing he used a tube screamer, but I can't recall if that's correct. I'm only a casual fan ("made of tears" is the best.)

I don't know how many effects your amp has, but you might be better served with one of the quality Peavey digital amps. You might experiment with wah and tubescreamer.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
bytomorrow

that is true...i mean i cheaped out with my amp but as of right now i have to prepare for a competition thats in march and what would you guys suggest that i use to mimic the effects for this day (the concert is held in a small room with a couple judges and no people are allowed inside the hall except the performer)
bytomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
DarthV

For quite a few years, Joe used his Satchurator distortion pedal instead of the gain from his preamp in his JSX for live use. Maybe try one of them?
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Jyrgen
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV
For quite a few years, Joe used his Satchurator distortion pedal instead of the gain from his preamp in his JSX for live use. Maybe try one of them?

Won't sound too great in front of the Spider, and this was about the recorded tone anyway I think.

There's definitely not many effects going on in the song (besides distortion). If you find it hard to do the feedback thing with the Spider, which I think you will, maybe try some other Satriani song that doesn't involve it. E.g. Always With Me Always With You is another ballady song and it's not too hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: