Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Looking for a new Amp for Thrash.

Hi there, not been satisfied with the tones coming from my Boss ME-25 or my VOX VT-30 (Good amp, but I'm a metal player!)
I play a lot of Thrash Metal in the style of Megadeth, Metallica, Municipal Waste, Anthrax and Testament. I would like a new amp. I'm on a tight budget and at most I could probably scrape 200 but that's maximum. I don't mind if it's a head or a combo.
Anyone got any recommendations?
I'd preferably buy it new and online and it needs to be gigging material. Ideally 30/50 watts.
I am a rhythm player and I like the style of Dave Mustaine, Eric Peterson and Scott Ian.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website

Last edited by Boonnoo666 : 12-13-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Wow. With that budget go used.

Free bump. I am un the US so I don't know your prices. Something Marshall might be cheap there. A used JCM800 combo? Jet City 50w?
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Wow. With that budget go used.

Free bump. I am un the US so I don't know your prices. Something Marshall might be cheap there. A used JCM800 combo? Jet City 50w?

200 is $322.08
Marshall JCM800s, even used at that price are out of the question

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Old 12-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
waldorphPRS41
quixotic

That's only about $320~ here in the US so I don't know much of what you could get for that cheap. Like he said above, maybe something like a Marshall JCM800 but I don't know if you'd be able to get one that cheap.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldorphPRS41
That's only about $320~ here in the US so I don't know much of what you could get for that cheap. Like he said above, maybe something like a Marshall JCM800 but I don't know if you'd be able to get one that cheap.

As I said, even used, JCM800 at this budget is out of the question.
Even a high end pedal will be good for me, I just want a better tone >.<

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website

Last edited by Boonnoo666 : 12-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Wow. With that budget go used rob a bank.

seriously, though, obviously don't go and rob a bank.

Jet city maybe?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_a...ation_112rc.htm

the 22 watt combo would be better, but they seem to be out of stock of it. From what I can remember, it wasn't much dearer, and it has an extra, higher gain channel (which is what you want). But that'd be better than nothing if thomann doesn't get any more in (they seem to be winding down their dealership of the jet city stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

seriously, though, obviously don't go and rob a bank.

Jet city maybe?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_a...ation_112rc.htm

the 22 watt combo would be better, but they seem to be out of stock of it. From what I can remember, it wasn't much dearer, and it has an extra, higher gain channel (which is what you want). But that'd be better than nothing if thomann doesn't get any more in (they seem to be winding down their dealership of the jet city stuff).

Thanks, but I'm not really a fan of the tone :/
I may consider getting a Metal Muff pedal.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Perverockstar69

Jet City > Metal Muff everyday.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
Jet City > Metal Muff everyday.

Not really in my opinion to be honest.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

One thing you didn't mention was if this budget needed to include a cab or not. I'm assuming not with all of my prices. I'm also going off of used prices, as you aren't going to find anything worthwhile new on your budget. No offense, I'm poor too, just a reality.

You could look for a Peavey Windsor. They're basically JCM800's. In fact, with a few small mods, you can make them the exact curcuit as a JCM800.

The Jet Cities would be a good option

You could also look into a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It's a modeller with a 6505 power section, meaning it's not all-tube, but it's a modeller, what more do you want.

Another option that usually goes for cheaper than the 800's is a JCM900. The best one to go with is the SL-X, although the MKIII is good too. Avoid the Dual Reverb unless you want to mod the shit out of it. If you're fine with that, Cathbard could give you some help with it. The issue is that the DR gets almost all of it's gain from Solid State parts, and the MKIII gets a little push from some SS stuff. The SL-X is all-tube, though.

If you aren't too bothered by hybrids, the Blackstar HT amps would be good to look into. They'll do Thrash no problem. I would avoid the HT-1 and HT-5 if you ever plan on gigging. If you only ever want to jam in your bedroom, then those would be about perfect.

An Egnater Rebel 20 could probably hit Thrash territory with a boost. The rebel 30 would work, too, but it might be out of your budget.

A Peavey Ultra would work fine for what you want.

That's about all I've got. If you could save up a litte more money, then we could get you some really good options, or even get you the exact rig that most of the Thrash scene was started on. With the Windsor or anything JCM800 related, you would need a boost for sure to get that true Thrash sound, in case you weren't aware.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
Not really in my opinion to be honest.

yeah it is. obviously tone is subjective. but your opinion is wrong. sorry.

Quote:

Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
One thing you didn't mention was if this budget needed to include a cab or not. I'm assuming not with all of my prices. I'm also going off of used prices, as you aren't going to find anything worthwhile new on your budget. No offense, I'm poor too, just a reality.

You could look for a Peavey Windsor. They're basically JCM800's. In fact, with a few small mods, you can make them the exact curcuit as a JCM800.

The Jet Cities would be a good option

You could also look into a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It's a modeller with a 6505 power section, meaning it's not all-tube, but it's a modeller, what more do you want.

Another option that usually goes for cheaper than the 800's is a JCM900. The best one to go with is the SL-X, although the MKIII is good too. Avoid the Dual Reverb unless you want to mod the shit out of it. If you're fine with that, Cathbard could give you some help with it. The issue is that the DR gets almost all of it's gain from Solid State parts, and the MKIII gets a little push from some SS stuff. The SL-X is all-tube, though.

If you aren't too bothered by hybrids, the Blackstar HT amps would be good to look into. They'll do Thrash no problem. I would avoid the HT-1 and HT-5 if you ever plan on gigging. If you only ever want to jam in your bedroom, then those would be about perfect.

An Egnater Rebel 20 could probably hit Thrash territory with a boost. The rebel 30 would work, too, but it might be out of your budget.

A Peavey Ultra would work fine for what you want.

That's about all I've got. If you could save up a litte more money, then we could get you some really good options, or even get you the exact rig that most of the Thrash scene was started on. With the Windsor or anything JCM800 related, you would need a boost for sure to get that true Thrash sound, in case you weren't aware.

Thanks for all these suggestions, I would try to get something from a higher price range, but I'm crap at saving and I don't have a job. I could potentially sell my Vox or Boss but that'll involve a lot of thinking and still I'd have to save loads more.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website

Last edited by Boonnoo666 : 12-13-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

if you're willing to go used, sometimes laney vc50s come up for not much more than your budget. they'd be worth considering. might do the thrash thing a bit better than jet city, too, since they're pretty much hot rodded marshalls (with a clean channel). they're the (discontinued) combo version of the vh100r (which is the 2-channel version of the GH), so if you could find any of those to try in a shop it might give you some idea of what it's like.

Quote:

Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
if you're willing to go used, sometimes laney vc50s come up for not much more than your budget. they'd be worth considering. might do the thrash thing a bit better than jet city, too, since they're pretty much hot rodded marshalls (with a clean channel). they're the (discontinued) combo version of the vh100r (which is the 2-channel version of the GH), so if you could find any of those to try in a shop it might give you some idea of what it's like.

I tried to find it, nothing :/
To be honest, it's gonna be a long time until I can afford any new amps, so I'll probably get a Metal Muff.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website

Last edited by Boonnoo666 : 12-13-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:

I can +1 that, cause I absolutely love my VH100R.

However, TS, you should really just try saving up more and take every opportunity you get. You must have some sort of income, just tighten the belt. I was a student when I got my LP Studio. And unemployed when I got my Laney, but I had been saving for a year for this amp. Same goes for the guitar. The way I saved for these, well, I stopped buying pretty much anything else than what you need to live, which means food.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Last edited by Sakke : 12-13-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
romeozdistress

peavey vypyr tube 60
Digitech Bad Monkey
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakke
I can +1 that, cause I absolutely love my VH100R.

However, TS, you should really just try saving up more and take every opportunity you get. You must have some sort of income, just tighten the belt. I was a student when I got my LP Studio. And unemployed when I got my Laney, but I had been saving for a year for this amp. Same goes for the guitar. The way I saved for these, well, I stopped buying pretty much anything else than what you need to live, which means food.

Umm.. 5 pocket money a week :L
If I could save much, I could get up to 500. But that is pretty crazy for me. Never saved over 130...

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website

Last edited by Boonnoo666 : 12-14-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, it looks like this could be two good things for you:

1.) You can learn how to save your money better. It's one of the most essential skills to have. It's something I'm still working on, because I impulse buy all of the time, but I can honestly say that I haven't ipulse bought anything in probably 5 months now.

2.) At the end of this, you can get a new amp that will be legions ahead of what you're current budget will allow.

It just comes down to patience, discipline, determination, and, in this case, remembering what the end result will be.

Sure, you could grab a soda, OR you could save that and instead of a Soda, get a kickass amp that has the potential to make you even more money.

You could buy that Metal Muff now, OR you could save that money and put it toward an epic amp.

The key is to set a goal and hold yourself to it.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Well, it looks like this could be two good things for you:

1.) You can learn how to save your money better. It's one of the most essential skills to have. It's something I'm still working on, because I impulse buy all of the time, but I can honestly say that I haven't ipulse bought anything in probably 5 months now.

2.) At the end of this, you can get a new amp that will be legions ahead of what you're current budget will allow.

It just comes down to patience, discipline, determination, and, in this case, remembering what the end result will be.

Sure, you could grab a soda, OR you could save that and instead of a Soda, get a kickass amp that has the potential to make you even more money.

You could buy that Metal Muff now, OR you could save that money and put it toward an epic amp.

The key is to set a goal and hold yourself to it.

Yeah, thing is I don't buy stuff all the time like a drink or sweets etc. I see something I need EG: A case (Which I still need) or a tuner or a CD and I'm suddenly set back. But yeah, I'll try. My trouble is it'll take ages to get a JCM800, but I'll try to discipline myself. Thanks
Edit: Mind you, I'll need to save for like 5 years...

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website

Last edited by Boonnoo666 : 12-14-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #20
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
Yeah, thing is I don't buy stuff all the time like a drink or sweets etc. I see something I need EG: A case (Which I still need) or a tuner or a CD and I'm suddenly set back. But yeah, I'll try. My trouble is it'll take ages to get a JCM800, but I'll try to discipline myself. Thanks
Edit: Mind you, I'll need to save for like 5 years...

You won't be on pocket money for 5 years... That sounds quite horrifying.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: