Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Stormymonday

US Re-Fret or Replace the Heck??

On a old 86 Charvel Model Series 3 the frets are really worn down and need to be replaced. I live about a hour from anywhere, and GS and they tell me they want $400 for a refret..and throw in a setup for free.!!?? Gee..Bend Me Over!!! If I can get another heck for the guitar..will it still play the same..or is it best to do a refret on the origional heck?? I'm not that interested in buying a used 20 yr old neck off ebay,,one doesn't know until you have it in your hands! Pictures only tell so much. So..I need some opinions as which is best to do! Help! Thanks.
Stormymonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
amatas83
VA shred head

you'll need a setup with the new neck anyways. is it a bolt neck or a set neck on that? guessing bolt. Also I had a refret done at my shop for 300 on my Gibson Sonex to get bigger frets they had some great stainless fretwire and redid the neck was just what I was looking for so I guess it's a matter of what you think is best. getting a new neck you could end up in this same situation in a few months/years so maybe the refret is better in the long run.
or look into getting the wire and attempting a DIY job if you think you can handle it.
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
amatas83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
TunerAddict
UG Freak

I'm sure you can get a used neck off ebay for cheaper. Find out what fits.
TunerAddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
stonyman65
Unregistered User

If it is a neck that you really love, get it refretted. $400 is kind of crazy, but I've seen jobs $250 for an entire refret. Just having 2 or 3 frets redone isn't that big of a deal and shouldn't cost you anywhere near that kind of money. I'd look around a bit before taking it to your local shop and paying that kind of money. There are a lot of good shops that can do the work for a decent price if you are willing to send it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Are you intentionally typing "heck"?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
J_W

Warmoth, or Ebay.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

well if you can get a "heck" that's in good condition that's the quickest solution and it should feel as good as new if it is indeed in good condition. That's what i did with my RR3 that had severe fret wear. There is however something to be said for a refret though... I recently did my first refret on what was effectively a scrap guitar and it did make quite a difference in how the thing felt to play. Felt far smoother than stock (though bare in mind this was an el cheapo piece of crap i learnt to play on almost 20 years ago) so if a refret could be worth doing. Ultimately it's up to you but i think either option will be fine really.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: