Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
bbgamer884

How Many Guitars Is Too Many?

I have 6 guitars and my parents want me to sell 5. They dont understand that each guitar has a purpose and one person cant have just 1. How many would be enough?
My guitars are used for:
Standard electric
Half step Electric
Standard Acoustic
Half Step Acoustic
4 String Bass
7 String Guitar
bbgamer884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Are they all of high quality?

One good guitar is always better than lots of crap ones.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0

-Rooster-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

I have 15 and it is not enough...
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Also to answer your question, if its gets to a point where the number of guitars or your outlay on musical gear starts to affect how much cash you have to spend on living, so stuff like food or rent.

Then its probably time to consider selling a few.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Stillhouse
Archduke of Everywhere

Sometimes downsizing is inevitable. At one time I had 5, had to sell 'em all(food and shelter), and now I'm back to having 2. Figure out which one(s) mean the most to you or are the most versatile and start from there.

But from a purely philosophical view, unless you own every guitar on Earth, you can never have too many.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

"Enough" is subjective. Electric and acoustic is a good distinction. Having a bass isn't that unusual.

While I wouldn't bother keeping separate guitars for just a half-step tuning difference, I would- and do- keep separate guitars for more radical tuning differences.

For instance, my main 2 tunings are Standard (EADGBE) and New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG), and have at least one acoustic, one solidbody electric and one hollowbody electric tuned to each. I've yet to buy a semihollow or solidbody w/trem for NST. My electrics also have different pickup configurations, so deliver different sounds. Over time, I'll fill in gaps. And add 12 strings along the way.

Also over time, I'll delve into DADGAD and Open G tuning as well...but I probably won't add another bass, or go for much in the way of 7 or 8+ string guitars.

All that said, though, beyond making a good, articulate case for yourself, their house, their rules. Explain to them that making frequent tuning adjustments can lead to excessive wear & tear, and unless you know how to do all the right adjustments, might demand more frequent trips to the guitar tech or repairman- multiple guitars dedicated to different tunings is, in that sense, not just convenient, but also economical.

Why do they want you to cull your collection?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Heideck

I think that if I had 50 guitars, I could have enough. More would be for fun or collection

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Dayn

Whatever is necessary plus one.

Then you define what is necessary. Personally, I would never have a six-string guitar in standard ever again, and I would never have a seven-string in standard if it had a fixed bridge. That would be unnecessary; that's already taken care of by my eight-string. I wouldn't have two guitars separated by only a semitone in tuning, honestly...
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0

agreed- unless you need several for different tunings, different tones or to have a spare for gigging. and even then, I'd say that only applies if the quality if up to at least "good". Like, if you have a good reason for needing more than one guitar, then 3 good guitars might be more useful than one great one, but I wouldn't take 3 crap guitars over one good one.

and yeah, if it's starting to impact on your normal living standards then maybe it's a problem. if it's not though, the question is phrased incorrectly . it's not "how many is too many?", it's "How many guitars are enough?", to which the answer is "Just one more"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I don't own more than I constantly play. I've got my two G&L's, my Taylor, my Deering, my Washburn, and my Fender. Two electrics, one acoustic, one banjo, one mandolin, and one electric bass.

I don't really think I'd want to add any more. Trade, however, now that's a different story.

-Rooster-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker

Got three, getting two + a body more tomorrow. Probably gonna get rid of a few after christmas. Maybe trade for a bass.
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
AtaBorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
DarthV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
it's not "how many is too many?", it's "How many guitars are enough?", to which the answer is "Just one more"

^^

Up to #8 myself. Love to track down an Ibanez S5470bw still. That's probably the only one that would interest me at this point. Or one of those 7 strings with the evertune bridge. Uhh oh!
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
jjfeu662
Celestia

Have 1 with a floyd that you keep in a certain tuning, 1 with a hardtail and regular gauge strings that you can tune into anything, a bass and an acoustic. That's 4 and that's my max.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
monwobobbo

OP i'll bet your mother has more than one pair of shoes. try that as an analogy and see if that helps. i have 3 electrics, 1 acoustic and a bass. do i need more probably not but if a great deal comes my way i doubt i'll say no because i have to many.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
redandwhite12
red and also white

how many guitars is really a subjective question. It depends what you like to do and the styles of music you play. As long as your guitars aren't interfering with her why should she care?

I would be totally be able to get by with maybe like a Les Paul a Marshall, Fender, and a solid acoustic. That doesn't mean I won't want other arrows in my quiver however. Its good to take a minimalist perspective sometimes but its also fun to have a bunch of shit. Depend on the person I guess.

My Youtubez

http://www.youtube.com/user/redandwhite12?feature=mhee
redandwhite12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #17
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayn
Whatever is necessary plus one.

Then you define what is necessary. Personally, I would never have a six-string guitar in standard ever again, and I would never have a seven-string in standard if it had a fixed bridge. That would be unnecessary; that's already taken care of by my eight-string. I wouldn't have two guitars separated by only a semitone in tuning, honestly...

Well that's not entirely true. I'm assuming your 8 string has a baritone neck and humbuckers, which means a tele or strat - heck, even a les paul - would sound very different.

Not to mention that in my experience, sometimes songs just sound nicer and warmer when played on a normal scale, and to be perfectly honest, I still would like to have a 7-string for the sole reason that it's a different feeling and gives me different ideas when writing. I mean, I don't NEED one, because I can always just take of the low F# string on the 8, but it'd not be completely redundant to have one.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

I have a:
Tele
Roads
Charvel Strat
Acoustic

Theres more I'd like to get too. I like having all my bases covered, which I more or less do. I keep The Tele in Eb/Drop D, Rhoads in C#G#C#F#A#D#/CGCFAD, and the Charvel in Standard. I still wouldn't mind a 7 or 8 though. There's nothing wrong with more than a few guitars. Hell I would love to have 30 guitars just for fun.

Enough is when I can't afford to pay rent and bills.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

There is no such thing as too many guitars.

(΄・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #20
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
There is no such thing as too many guitars.

I currently have 5, which ok i know isn't a lot but i'm considering another shortly. Only problem is since i got my horizon back in the summer i've been a little spoilt. Other things outside of the price bracket of that thing don't feel like they compare so meh, maybe i should wait a while till i can blow another big chunk on a guitar of similar quality.

Buy yeah the short version is I agree, there is no such thing as too many.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: