Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
romeozdistress

Tax Time=New Amp Time Finally.

MY previous thread is nowhere to be found.

Tax time is coming around and I will finally be able to get another Amp after tight money times.

I've pretty much decided bewteen peavey 6505 112 and Peavey xxx 112.

I was wondering if you guys could give some pros and cons for both. Will be playing metal alot of the time. If there are any other suggestions thats cool too. Id like to keep Budget under 500. I have a month or two to decide. xxx ive seen 300-500 different wattages of course. and the 6505 ive seen for as low as $300. Ive heard the 6505 has a shitty speaker. But other than that I dont know much. Thanks in advance.
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

What type of metal?

Have you had the chance to play either?
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
thebestjoe

I can't really vouch for the 6505, played the head once in a store for around 5 minutes. IMO, it just seem to lack something when I played it.

I own the XXX head. I use it for anything with gain, mainly Thrash, prog metal, and djent. Way too much gain for my needs, I never go past 12 o clock on either gain channel. They didn't take a TS at all either, and it can get pretty noisy.

I'd say that if you're going to be doing more modern metal, go 6505 (it's the standard for it), if it's just general metal, I think the XXX would be a better suit.

Edit:
The Vyper has models after both of them, use those for a base as to which you think would be better for yourself, and then try the real thing that you prefer.
Schecter Omen-7 with X2N and D-Thing
Douglas Scope 727

Last edited by thebestjoe : 12-13-2012 at 11:01 PM.
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, the XXX will have better cleans, and the 6505 has that modern grind you hear in Metalcore-style music. It basically comes down to personal taste, and, as we aren't you, we can really decide for you. If you've got it between two amps, you basically need to go try them both and decide which one you like more. We can't tell you that. The two are very close, and it basically comes down to flavor differences. Idk if the XXX has an effects loop or not, but there have been a lot of stories of people having issues with the 6505 effects loop (inthe 112 version only). It has something to do with the way they split one preamp tube to do two drastically different jobs. Ususally a better tube in that slot will fix it, but you should factor in a tube swap with either amp anyway, seeing as how they're used AND budget amps.

With either one, if you have the $70 to spare, WGS makes some great speakers. They make two V30 clones that you could use in either amp. The Retro 30 and Veteran 30. With those amps, you're probably better off with the Veteran 30, but it's really up to you. They also make a G12T-100 clone, if that's more your style.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
romeozdistress

the bands Im into vary. I play alot in the style of lamb of god and metallica. also metalcore, deathcore, hardcore, folk, black, symphonic, thrash.. basically i love all the sub genres of metal too.

Thanks for the info. Helps out alot. I have no way of trying either guys. My guitar centers selection of amps is my style. Most tube amps known for blues and stuff like that. another thing that comes to mind is a krank rev jr head. just trying to keep things around 500ish. my only way of doing things is gonna be youtube and wirrten reviews.
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, the XXX can be pretty treble-y and bright. The 6505 isn't as bright. Both have PLENTY of gain on tap. Basically, if you want good cleans, get the XXX, and if you don't care, it doesn't really matter much. If you need an Effects Loop that is hassle-free, get the XXX, if you don't plan to ever use it, then it's up to you.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Haven't we had this discussion before?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Well, the XXX can be pretty treble-y and bright. The 6505 isn't as bright. Both have PLENTY of gain on tap. Basically, if you want good cleans, get the XXX, and if you don't care, it doesn't really matter much. If you need an Effects Loop that is hassle-free, get the XXX, if you don't plan to ever use it, then it's up to you.

not a big effect guy. sounds like the xxx is the best option. thanks alot man, you've been alot of help. I always have mesa in the back of my mind. but the price just drives me away. im sure somebody can understand that.
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Haven't we had this discussion before?

not exactly. but the thread before was lost.
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
Old 12-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The XXX will be more versatile. Chances are that it will need new tubes though. Run the wrong tubes in them and they sound like shit, even moreso than the 6505. Load up the preamp with JJ's and they are a fantastic amp.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
The XXX will be more versatile. Chances are that it will need new tubes though. Run the wrong tubes in them and they sound like shit, even moreso than the 6505. Load up the preamp with JJ's and they are a fantastic amp.

that would be my first move man.
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
gregs1020
Hi mom!

every considered a vypyr tube?
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
every considered a vypyr tube?

LOL. sure they are going for about $200 nowadays.
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #14
romeozdistress

my local GC has a mark IV combo for $1350. being a LOG fanboy, very hard to ignore. might as well at least go try it. its been there for months.
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
gregs1020
Hi mom!

do we have a budget?
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #16
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Probably because it has problems and GC refuses to lower the price

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #17
romeozdistress

not really. I usually get about 5 k back. but i was hoping to get another guitar for seperate tuning and a new amp. was hoping to be about 1 k for both. maybe a little give here or there. nothing set in concrete. open to suggestions. I only get gear once a year. so yeah pretty open.
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #18
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Epic Amp > Second guitar for laziness

just saying

Now, obviously if you're talking from E Standard to C standard or Drop B, that's a different story, but also pretty pointless. What band is going to use such radically different tunings? The idea is to establish a sound, which is best done with one tuning. Personally, I use Reaper to pitch-shift all of my songs I play along to into Eb Standard or Drop Db, which is my preferred tuning.

I mean, personally, I would rather have that Mark IV than a XXX and second guitar. If you're really a LOG fanboy, you would be going for a Mark V or Royal Atlantic, though.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #19
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Epic Amp > Second guitar for laziness

just saying

Now, obviously if you're talking from E Standard to C standard or Drop B, that's a different story, but also pretty pointless. What band is going to use such radically different tunings? The idea is to establish a sound, which is best done with one tuning. Personally, I use Reaper to pitch-shift all of my songs I play along to into Eb Standard or Drop Db, which is my preferred tuning.

I mean, personally, I would rather have that Mark IV than a XXX and second guitar. If you're really a LOG fanboy, you would be going for a Mark V or Royal Atlantic, though.

ohh okay. i like one guitar e standard/drop d and id like to have one d standrd/drop c. i really didnt think there would be a huge difference between mark iv and v. shows what i know. scratch that idea i guess. just ideas man.
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #20
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Having a second guitar isn't just about laziness. I normally have three on stage. You can't be retuning between songs, you just grab the next guitar and play.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Rate This Thread: