Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I felt my name was mentioned.

The Mark III is sweet. The XXX is sweet. The 6505+ is also sweet. My point here, is that there isn't an amp that isn't awesome for something.

I think you just don't really know what you want right now dude. I would definitely go play that Mark IV, see if that sort of sound would be worth it to you. I think that you would be happy with the 6505+ as well, even with my Mark III and VHT, no matter what new amp I get I still love the 6505+ tone. Just get out there and play dude.

Thanks man. I stopped in for some strings yesterday. I saw they still had the mark iv and they have the 6505+. when I have more time im gonna go up there and try them out. the mark is really intimidating with all the knobs and eq and stuff. but im sure the 3 is more simple id think. only other thing ive been looking at for a while is the krank jr combos. wish I could try out one of those as well as the xxx combo. It might be hard to me to spend for the mark as this is just a hobby for me. not sure how cool my wife will be with me spending that much lol. I mean I could but finding a cheaper solution would also be pretty awesome. thanks again.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #42
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Yeah, I feel bad because I know you had asked for some Krank clips and I haven't done them

I think that the Krank is a very awesome little combo, but its an acquired taste for sure. It has this great middy growl that just sounds vicious, but I would definitely make sure you liked that tone, definitely one to play first if possible.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #43
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Yeah, I feel bad because I know you had asked for some Krank clips and I haven't done them

I think that the Krank is a very awesome little combo, but its an acquired taste for sure. It has this great middy growl that just sounds vicious, but I would definitely make sure you liked that tone, definitely one to play first if possible.

its cool man. ive heard some people dont like it. hopefully ones will pop up at guitar center sometime. one great thing about buying from them is you can return it. you would lose money on shipping of course though.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
Old 12-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #44
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I have not tried a jr krank.

The Rev is very different than the Krankenstein "plus". It would be interesting to see how the small versions compare to their big brothers.

Dementiacaptian nailed when he he said all of those amps are good. Just make sure to play first so it fits your style.

And the knobs are the mark series... Yeah there are a bunch but don't let that intimidate you. Just find some time to sit and play. Only way you will know. And you have a few month to figure it out.

Thanks for dropping in Dementiacaptain.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #45
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I retune onstage at every gig. While our vocalist is announcing the next song, our other guitarist and myself will retune between Drop Db and Eb Standard. It takes no more time than switching guitars does.

Like I said, if you're talking open tunings, or drastically different tunings that require multiple strings to be re-tuned, that's different. However, if it came down to "new guitar and decent budget amp" or "Epic as shit amp that is perfect for me" I'm picking option two every day of the week.

Also, I only use one guitar onstage, but I have a backup in it's case within 10 steps of me at every gig, and then I've got a bunch of cheapo guitars at home that "I'm gonna upgrade eventually"
I use standard, drop D and open G. Even going between standard and drop D on a Floyd equipped guitar is a pita in the middle of a gig. Open G I'm playing on a fixed bridge but still, forget about it. It stays in open G at all times.
Plus of course there's string breakage. It's always good to have a spare, even if you do have to give it a quick retune. There's more to it than simple laziness.

However, I did say to spend all his money on the amp and think about another guitar later.
Multiple guitars are convenient and I always want more than one on stage with me but not if that means compromising on my amp.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 12-15-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #46
DarthV

Wooo huge thread incoming! If you want the mark tone, get the mark. Nothing else will satisfy. Well other than an AxeFXII or Kemper KPA :P
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #47
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Thanks for dropping in Dementiacaptain.

Always excited to actually give input on something I know about

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #48
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I think the bottom line here is - buy a Mark. Whether you go for a 3 or a 4 it probably won't matter a lot, any of them will make you smile. If that means you have to wait until you can afford another guitar, so be it. Priorities, man. If you can afford a Mark 4, buy one but if a nice Mk3 pops up for the right price, buy that instead. It's that simple really.
And if a Mk2C+ pops up within budget, grab it immediately and run away laughing maniacally before he realises what he's done.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #49
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020

that was silly6string

ahhhhhhh. my apologies romeozdistress

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Klone
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #50
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

to contribute, i would print the mesa mkiv manual out before going to demo it. may sound stupid, but it teaches you how the tone stack works, for example, the gain increases with more treble for. some wizardry in there. it will give you a better demo.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%204.pdf

i paid $875 for the older MKIV head. in great shape and brand new tubes. they sound great, but i didn't discover my tone on it for a few weeks. i love it now. if you turn the channel masters down, and the global master down on the 22 watt, you can get good sound. i play it at 3am and don't disturb my wife.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Klone
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
and a few guitars
Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #51
romeozdistress

thanks guys.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #52
romeozdistress

I've seen a few dual rec tremoverbs for around $900 too. anybody play those?
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #53
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

Quote:
or maybe he wants that big check every year, some people can't save so they do that.

I can't save money at all!

I was actually reading up on it. The whole paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle can stick with people for a long time, even when you really don't need to live like that.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #54
romeozdistress

im also a home owner. lol. so some of that money has to go into the house of course. I can have 1k for myself. thats about it. but hell i wouldnt mind keeping it under that lol. might wanna see how much I will actually be getting back before I set a def budget.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1

Last edited by romeozdistress : 12-16-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #55
gregs1020
Hi mom!

you should try a 5150 III 50 watt and see what you think.

isn't sweetwater near you?

can't you head over there and try some amps?

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #56
romeozdistress

Quote:
you should try a 5150 III 50 watt and see what you think.

isn't sweetwater near you?

can't you head over there and try some amps?

its in fort wayne which is about 90 minutes away I think.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #57
gregs1020
Hi mom!

it's worth the drive then.

if for nothing but to try some amps to rule in or out.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #58
romeozdistress

Quote:
it's worth the drive then.

if for nothing but to try some amps to rule in or out.

yeah, ive always wanted to go check it out anyways.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #59
romeozdistress

I ended up trying pit the marv iv and god that thing was amazing. still at $1200 though. I dont think I can justify spending that much at this point in my guitar playing hobby. the 6505 112 was pretty damn awesome too. If only I could find a peavey ultra or xxx combo to compare it too. i think im pretty much down to those 3 6505, xxx, or ultra combo. just waiting on w2s now.

i know I can afford one of those for sure. The mesa route is just alot more than I'd like to spend right now. I like the idea of the ultra and xx because they have decent cleans ive read. I'd be about to dabble into blues and lower gain stuff if i wanted to... Should also be fun to experiment with some pedals. I have never even tried that due to the fact i've always had a vypyr. Of course another tube 60 is an option. But Im leaning toward something non digital.

Thanks for being patient with me everyone. In a couple weeks itll all be over for now LOL.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #60
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress
I ended up trying pit the marv iv and god that thing was amazing. still at $1200 though. I dont think I can justify spending that much at this point in my guitar playing hobby. the 6505 112 was pretty damn awesome too. If only I could find a peavey ultra or xxx combo to compare it too. i think im pretty much down to those 3 6505, xxx, or ultra combo. just waiting on w2s now.

i know I can afford one of those for sure. The mesa route is just alot more than I'd like to spend right now. I like the idea of the ultra and xx because they have decent cleans ive read. I'd be about to dabble into blues and lower gain stuff if i wanted to... Should also be fun to experiment with some pedals. I have never even tried that due to the fact i've always had a vypyr. Of course another tube 60 is an option. But Im leaning toward something non digital.

Thanks for being patient with me everyone. In a couple weeks itll all be over for now LOL.

look around a little more, here there are mkiv heads and combos for <$1000. i paid $875 for the long head. its in great shape and the tubes were only a few months old (verified by receipt).

i can tell you if you don't get what you want you will sell/trade/ lose more money than doing it up front.

look here:

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm it doesn't pop up right so in the search bar "mesa mkiv" and there is a combo for $950. ask a LOT of questions.

however i just my first bad deal ever with GC use, and am out two shipping charges $60, but have a great guitar headed my way. but shit happens. the person on the phone was just down right deceptive, and i got screwed. but they are fixing it other than the shipping. i have had over 100 purchases in the last so eight years and that was the first, so i am not going to complain.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Klone
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
and a few guitars

Rate This Thread: