Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
microburst

Trigger Finger - Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Problem

Figured out with the doctor what's wrong with my finger. I have trigger finger and the tendon is slipping on my knuckle every time I move my fretting hand fingers, particularly the middle finger. To complicate matters, I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome - Type III, so surgery would not be worth it due to that.

This is keeping me from playing fluidly. I have started playing a wider stringed guitar and that helps, but my fingers are still locking up all the time. I have tried searching the forums and even Googling to see if others have tips on this and am having trouble getting info.

What should I do about the situation? Switch instruments to something other than a guitar? I hate to not play guitar, but this is causing problems and the doctor isn't able to do anything about it.

Thanks.

Last edited by microburst : 12-13-2012 at 10:43 PM.
microburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
wiggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by microburst
Figured out with the doctor what's wrong with my finger. I have trigger finger and the tendon is slipping on my knuckle every time I move my fretting hand fingers, particularly the middle finger. To complicate matters, I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome - Type III, so surgery would not be worth it due to that.

This is keeping me from playing fluidly. I have started playing a wider stringed guitar and that helps, but my fingers are still locking up all the time. I have tried searching the forums and even Googling to see if others have tips on this and am having trouble getting info.

What should I do about the situation? Switch instruments to something other than a guitar? I hate to not play guitar, but this is causing problems and the doctor isn't able to do anything about it.

Thanks.

Could you play in these, and would they help...?

"If you suffer from Trigger Thumb or Trigger Finger, these gloves"... bla blah

https://www.therapygloves.com/store...php?productid=2
wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary

Play some sort of weird unique guitar style that you've invented, something that you are able to play comfortably. You'll probably get famous for it.

Or play bass?
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
sk8board3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
megaluisdeth

If it's only one finger then there is no problem. Look at Christian Muenzner from Obscura. He frets now only with 3 fingers and is a ****ing shredder.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by microburst

I hope this doesn't come off as patronizing, but have you talked to your doctor about how your injury relates to playing guitar? We're an internet forum, so anything we can offer will be dubious at best compared to a doctor's professional opinion.

If your doctor can't himself off advice, he might be able to point you to someone who specializes in physical therapy for that kind of injury. I don't know anything about your syndrome in particular, but if it's enough that you're already seeing a doctor for it, you might as slip a few questions about resources to improve how your injury relates to your guitar playing.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
microburst

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late reply. I went ahead and placed an order for the gloves. They should arrive within the next 1-2 weeks. Someone above mentioned bass. I have an interest in learning bass as well as guitar. I've seen some bass covers and some songs are played just as fast as songs on the regular guitar. There are some bass solos that are amazing, so I am not so sure that playing bass would solve the problem. Thankfully, it is only in one finger, but it's painful after playing. I talked to the doctor and he also suggested the gloves that I purchased. I plan on sticking with regular electric guitar because that is what I have the most passion for. I am planning on getting a guitar teacher, so maybe that will help with tips and tricks.

But, back to the bass thing, am I missing something in that people with trigger finger have an easier time playing bass over electric guitar? Thanks.
microburst is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: