Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
shotclock

staying in time while soloing

So I have a couple jam tracks I like to noodle to and make it sound like a solo. I pretty much stay withing the pentatonic scale shapes. Pretty much beginner stuff.

I am working on rhytym a a whole but when you try to do lead stuff, how do you keep in time.

This question might be a bit vague but Im sure you guys are smart enough to know what I mean. Any videos or links would be great.
thanks
shotclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
gibson925

Practice, man. Start slow, doing simple runs up and down the scale. If you can do that in time you can pick up speed and start to make more interesting runs. Try tapping your foot while you play, that helps me. Other than that I can't help you, for me it's just something I feel.

Check out my solo:

Last edited by gibson925 : 12-13-2012 at 11:52 AM.
gibson925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
shotclock

Thanks buddy, I'll see what goes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotclock
So I have a couple jam tracks I like to noodle to and make it sound like a solo. I pretty much stay withing the pentatonic scale shapes. Pretty much beginner stuff.

I am working on rhytym a a whole but when you try to do lead stuff, how do you keep in time.

This question might be a bit vague but Im sure you guys are smart enough to know what I mean. Any videos or links would be great.
thanks

Instead of playing, just listen to them and hum some melodies over the backing tracks. Try to figure out where you want each solo to go. The key to improvising isn't playing. It's listening. You need to be able to make a melody that relates to the backing track and you can only do that by listening to the backing track and hearing what you want to play first.

As for staying in time, it's again a matter of hearing and applying. Play to a metronome and play to backing tracks. Get used to fitting notes neatly inside of beats. The secret to playing in time is internalizing the pulse of whatever you're playing to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson925
Check out my solo:

That was pretty sloppy. You're fast bits were really out of time and the bends weren't in tune. Slow down some and practice.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
gibson925

Gee, thanks, I really needed that. I wasn't asking for your approval. That was random improvisation with no beforehand thought. I'm not that great a guitarist.

Last edited by gibson925 : 12-13-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Geldin

That wasn't meant as assholish criticism or anything. If you post a video to a thread asking for help with technique, I'm gonna critique it. That's what the forum's for.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
gibson925

Man, you could've just said that.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
shotclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
Instead of playing, just listen to them and hum some melodies over the backing tracks. Try to figure out where you want each solo to go. The key to improvising isn't playing. It's listening. You need to be able to make a melody that relates to the backing track and you can only do that by listening to the backing track and hearing what you want to play first.

As for staying in time, it's again a matter of hearing and applying. Play to a metronome and play to backing tracks. Get used to fitting notes neatly inside of beats. The secret to playing in time is internalizing the pulse of whatever you're playing to.

That was pretty sloppy. You're fast bits were really out of time and the bends weren't in tune. Slow down some and practice.

Geldin, that makes sense. It just occurred to me after reading your post, I've been listening to the guitar on the backing track. I should be listening to the drum beat and put the licks in time with it.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #9
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotclock
Geldin, that makes sense. It just occurred to me after reading your post, I've been listening to the guitar on the backing track. I should be listening to the drum beat and put the licks in time with it.

Al di Meola has a great lesson about playing between beats that I think I've watched about a dozen times. Here's the URL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson925
Man, you could've just said that.

I assumed that in a forum where people regularly post videos asking for technique advice, that was what you were looking for. To be entirely honest, I didn't even look at the username; I didn't realize that it wasn't TS until I went to put the right name in for the quote attribute..

A lot of the regs in here tend to come off as pretty harsh because we see a lot of the same technical issues that we (or at least I do) have canned responses that get used when those common mistakes come up. I actually have a whole mini-essay that I post when anchoring threads come up.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
helltothee
Idiot

Play rhythmically at first, it may seem mechanic but it's good to get a sense of the time.

It should get to a point when you just 'feel' the rhythm so then you can go with the flow. Good luck man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryingNemo
I saw Satan one day
He looked kinda gay
The bible hates gays
So Satan I shall slay
Amen.
helltothee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

tap your foot to 1/4 notes. try 1/2 notes and 1/8 too, or move in time, can be kinda tricky with odd phrases though. I play drums too and this helps.
Tempoe is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: