Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
HammerParty

G12M (Greenback) 1x12 Cabinet

Ok given the ht-5R thread, i've had the chance to test out of these, but I used the vox night train 12" cab. Are there any other 1x12 g12m (greenback) cabinets for $300 and under? Thanks
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Um I think you can get an Avatar 1x12 with a Greenback for $280

What was wrong with the Greenback in the Night Train cab?

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
HammerParty

Nothing wrong with it really, just heard the material it's made of isn't worth the money they charge for it.

Avatar = $40 shipping, too much.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
HammerParty

Also forgot to mention, it's not a real greenback, but a custom voiced one.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

Vox Night Train 112 is a crappy cab. It is made of a soft material, it is too small to produce a big sound, and the speaker is not a real Greenback. Avoid it.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Robbgnarly

Get a 1x12 cab from Seismic Audio ($150) they also ship for free. and look into the Eminence GB128 ($75), Eminence Private Jack ($99) or the WGS Green Beret ($69) all 3 of these speakers are greenback clones.

You can also check out Weber, Scumback and Tone Tubbies if you wanna spend more money.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrgyoftheRats
Nothing wrong with it really, just heard the material it's made of isn't worth the money they charge for it.

Avatar = $40 shipping, too much.

Check out TRM Speaker Cabs : http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/
They have an unloaded 1x12 cab made from pine for $130 shipped. Buy a Greenback for $120 and you will be at around $250 total.

If you don't want to do it yourself, you will just have to find something used.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

the egnater 112 tweaker cab has a G12H.

it's a greenback/v30 hybrid speaker.

$225 on sweetwater.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
HammerParty

How does it compare to the g12m if you know? Also this is a start!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
ikey_

if you need a good clone, i second WGS. GREAT speakers, probably the best on the market for the money.

it will cut the cost of a celestion in half and give similar tone.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
ikey_

you know what cdr salamander.....

very few things piss me off in here, but i checked out http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/Finished_cabs.html

and now im pissed cause i didint know about this before! are you kidding me? these cabs are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

i love my avatar, but i would love to have a great cab in finished wood like that. you just cant find that stuff anywhere. jesus. and the prices are reasonable too.

i think its great you can get a well constructed un-finished cab for that cheap, and yet pay for a finished one at a very competitive market price.

this is great. i may have to sell my avatar.....
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

Quote:

i've had both the greenback and the g12h.

both are great speakers, you won't go wrong with either.

egnater cabs are pine, no mdf, so they are decent cabs for the coin. sweetwater will price match anyone or just give you a straight up deal. very happy with their service, ask for Josh.
guitar center or musicians friend stock them as well and should also give you a good deal. whoever you like.

plus, if you decide you want to try different speakers later it's easy to swap them out.

you can't go wrong imo.

Last edited by gregs1020 : 12-24-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ i think the egnater cabs are plywood? Either way, though, that's what you want.

Quote:

a fair bit different, IMO. Personally, I wouldn't get one if i knew i wanted a greenback. (Though it does depend somewhat on what you're running through it- my 18 watt clone sounded really good through either, but more modern amps will only really sound "vintage" with a gb, in my (limited) experience. I also don't want to argue with greg because he's spot-on all the time, it might be me who's wrong ).

It's normally described as being halfway between a greenback and a v30. that's sorta true in terms of the vibe (it's more modern-sounding than a greenback, less so than a v30), but in terms of the overall tonality of the thing, not so much. It has fewer mids than either a greenback or a v30 (which both have fairly strident mids). it also has quite a thinnish/hard edge to the tone (that may well go when it's broken-in, though) that the greenback doesn't really have, and which the v30 doesn't really have either.

I don't know about US prices, but I know that in europe the cheapest way to get a 1x12 with a gb-style speaker is probably to get a vht 1x12 cab (~80 on thomann) and then buy an eminence gb128 (50 or so) separately.

In the US, WGS might be (marginally) cheaper, and there might be other cheap cabinets available. Main thing is you want it to be plywood. Open- or closed-back is a matter of preference.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-24-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
1 ^ i think the egnater cabs are plywood? Either way, though, that's what you want.

2 a fair bit different, IMO. Personally, I wouldn't get one if i knew i wanted a greenback.

3 I also don't want to argue with greg because he's spot-on all the time, it might be me who's wrong ).

1 my bad - the site says "Made from heavy-duty void-free birch ply". not sure where i got pine from. i meant to say birch.

2 see that's where it's preference too. i like both the g12m and the g12h but don't dig on a single V30 at all. it's one of those things where i plugged into it and went, boo-yah this sounds great. but in all fairness i don't hear the subtle difference as much as other people, my hearing isn't the best.

3 lol see #1.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
gumbilicious
beginner

i don't personally dig on the G12H-30's. i know it's all personal preference, but what i am getting at is that it will be hard for us to determine what you'll like. all we can give advice on is what we like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
1 my bad - the site says "Made from heavy-duty void-free birch ply". not sure where i got pine from. i meant to say birch.

unacceptable. now grab your ankles, this will be over in a second

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020

2 see that's where it's preference too. i like both the g12m and the g12h but don't dig on a single V30 at all. it's one of those things where i plugged into it and went, boo-yah this sounds great. but in all fairness i don't hear the subtle difference as much as other people, my hearing isn't the best.

3 lol see #1.

1: haha no worries

2: i don't think my hearing's amazing any more either. ever since i've had those ear/nose/throat problems i think my hearing's not as good as it was, plus i have a bit of (mild) tinnitus from a stupid concert i went to that doesn't help either

but yeah it's definitely preference (and also very dependent on what amp/guitar combo you're using alongside the speaker).

3: wouldn't be the first time I got something wrong either

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
HammerParty

Well personally I want a g12m, as it's low wattage and apparently will be easy to get a great tone out of my ht-5 at lower volumes from what I gather, I was recommended it in another thread, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find a 1x12 cabinet with one for even under $300. Even Avatar speakers would cost $420 due to the shipping price, which is ridiculous being that an orange v30 with 18mm ply costs $380 with free shipping.

The genres I mostly play vary from indie cleans to death metal, which is why I chose the ht-5, but I want a speaker capable of handling these tones at low volume levels.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

"Well personally I want a g12m, as it's low wattage and apparently will be easy to get a great tone out of my ht-5 at lower volumes from what I gather, "

i'm not sure it works like that.

i'm also not sure i'd want a greenback as an all-rounder which is capable of death metal.

er....

Quote:
Old 12-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
HammerParty

If it can do death metal (which id rarely) through pedals and so on, it's fine. Right now I'm using a terrible 1x10 vox night train cab. hmmm
Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #20
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

again, though, that's not really how it works. it's that a vintage-style speaker like that isn't really tight enough for modern metal. that's the problem. it's not the amount of gain, it's the voicing.

er....

Quote:

Rate This Thread: