Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
nessicus

'66 Epiphone G-400 vs '66 Epiphone G-400 Pro

I'm interested in potentially acquiring a '66 Epiphone G-400 in the silverburst finish. there are two versions of the '66 G-400, the Standard and the Pro. it seems that the Pro is the official guitar in Epiphone's line-up now, but a bunch of sites still carry the Standard for the same price, except the silverburst finish for the Standard is about $50 more. I am not sure why that is--if there's any difference in the finish process or if the stock is just low, or what. hopefully someone here might know.

the only other differences between the two models I'm aware of are:
  • the Standard has chrome Grover tuners, whereas the Pro has Wilkinson tuners
  • the Pro has slightly different pick-ups, and
  • the Pro contains push-pull coil-splitting in the control knobs
I have to say I certainly prefer the looks and durability of the chrome tuners, but they presumably add heft to an already hefty neck; I am unsure how much of a difference this would ultimately make. I don't think it's a big priority for me.

I also don't think it's a particularly big priority for me to have coil-splitting, although it would be a nice bonus, but I'm mostly concerned about the $50 difference in price, any difference in the finish (it would appear from photos that the Standard has a darker look, but this may just be lighting), and what the difference in tone is between the pick-ups (in humbucking mode, of course.)

if anyone knows anything about these guitars, I would appreciate any info. here are some more links:

thanks.
nessicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessicus
I'm interested in potentially acquiring a '66 Epiphone G-400 in the silverburst finish. there are two versions of the '66 G-400, the Standard and the Pro. it seems that the Pro is the official guitar in Epiphone's line-up now, but a bunch of sites still carry the Standard for the same price, except the silverburst finish for the Standard is about $50 more. I am not sure why that is--if there's any difference in the finish process or if the stock is just low, or what. hopefully someone here might know.

sometimes 'premium' finishes cost more for different reasons. for example
-solid finishes may be easier to implement than a 'burst' finish
-solid finishes hide wood defects that clear finishes would display, this may result in the manufacturer having to use a higher quality of wood for clear finishes
-some premium finishes come with different woods. like my strat uses ash instead of alder for the finish i got.

there are other reasons, but they usually fall in this ballpark.

the only other differences between the two models I'm aware of are:
  • the Standard has chrome Grover tuners, whereas the Pro has Wilkinson tuners
  • the Pro has slightly different pick-ups, and
  • the Pro contains push-pull coil-splitting in the control knobs
I have to say I certainly prefer the looks and durability of the chrome tuners, but they presumably add heft to an already hefty neck; I am unsure how much of a difference this would ultimately make. I don't think it's a big priority for me.[/quote]

any difference in weight between the tuner should be very small, small enough where i wouldn't worry about it. if you prefer chrome tuners for looks, then that would be more pertinent. you can always upgrade to chrome tuners aftermarket as well, though both of those tuners are usually pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessicus
I also don't think it's a particularly big priority for me to have coil-splitting, although it would be a nice bonus, but I'm mostly concerned about the $50 difference in price, any difference in the finish (it would appear from photos that the Standard has a darker look, but this may just be lighting), and what the difference in tone is between the pick-ups (in humbucking mode, of course.)

i actually really like coil tapping. i find it a great tool for customizing my tone, but i have no idea how much you would like it.

i use my coil taps to help 'tame' certain tones. for example, if i am playing some chords and the low end is dominating then i'll coil tap the neck pup. if i am playing and the tone is too bright i'll coil tap the bridge. if i want to sound 'weaker' in the mix and not be so present i'll coil tap both the pups.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

I would go definitely go for the Pro, coil splits are pretty useful and it's even cheaper for some reason. And I like the look of those tuners on an SG.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

No two burst finishes are truly the same because of how they're painted, so don't compare the pictures you find, because each guitar is slightly different.

My Epi LP has Grovers, and they're a GREAT tuner. I've never heard of Wilkinson, but Gumbi said they're good.

Coil taps can be useful, but honestly, I've never really used them much in the LTD I have that has them. That's a personal thing, though.

Really it's going to come down to your preference.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Not every humbucker provides a single coil tone when split. Some just yield a lower volume. Presumably a factory coil with splitting would give a SC sound. But you should give it a test drive at the local store.

I have both a G-400 and a Dot. The neck is really nice on both. IMO Epiphone makes some really good low end guitars. Especially when it's a hardtail.

Rate This Thread: