Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong

Tuner heads? Nut?

Hey, GB&C!

Currently, I'm looking to upgrade my Epiphone Pro-1 a bit, because it deserves some quality parts. As its tuning stability is quite lacking I was thinking about buying new tuners and a nut.

Now I've found some tuners on the Dutch version of ebay. The guy says they're new, and I think he's quite right. They are Grover 305's, Black Chrome. Would this be an upgrade? And he wants to sell them for 36 including shipping, is that the right price or would I be better off buying other/better ones new from a store/webshop?

Secondly I am looking into a TUSQ nut. They go for around 7,50 at Thomann. Worth it? My current nut is the standard Epiphone one, made from plastic I think.

Any other thoughts on any upgrade for tuning stability? The guitar has a floating bridge, but it sucks, so I blocked it with a piece of wood. Not sure what I else I can do, without replacing it or doing anything major.

Thanks in advance!

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
The actual correct answer

Last edited by TuningGamer : 12-14-2012 at 08:28 AM.
TuningGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Roc8995

Epis have decent hardware. Those would be upgrades (especially the nut) but tuning stability is rarely an issue with the machine heads. I'd save your money unless they seem loose or are slipping.

The nut is a good place to start. Tusq is good. Keep in mind that it's going to take some work to remove the old nut and re-glue and cut the new one. If you haven't done it before it's probably best to take it to a tech. Most of them will have nuts on hand, so you shouldn't really have to buy one to bring to them for installation.

While your there, get a setup on your guitar, with particular attention to that bridge. A decent guitar like your Epi shouldn't have serious tuning issues if it's set up properly.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Epis have decent hardware. Those would be upgrades (especially the nut) but tuning stability is rarely an issue with the machine heads. I'd save your money unless they seem loose or are slipping.

The nut is a good place to start. Tusq is good. Keep in mind that it's going to take some work to remove the old nut and re-glue and cut the new one. If you haven't done it before it's probably best to take it to a tech. Most of them will have nuts on hand, so you shouldn't really have to buy one to bring to them for installation.

While your there, get a setup on your guitar, with particular attention to that bridge. A decent guitar like your Epi shouldn't have serious tuning issues if it's set up properly.

Thanks for your reply!

Although the hardware is not bad I just have a feeling it could be better and it could definitely make it a more appreciated guitar in my small collection. It really feels like it needs some taking care of, it feels a bit worn, but in a bad way.

I think I'll jump on those tuners and get a TUSQ nut when I can. Then I'll wait until I know what pickups I want in it and replace all of it (including all electronics, that stuff is kinda cracking in the bad way). I don't think the problem is with the bridge, but I'll check the bridge out as best as I can while upgrading. I'll try to mount/block it even better, but it's still a weird, irregular bridge with little to no knowledge on it where ever I look.

As for the nut replacing. There's always a first time, and I'm pretty handy. I'll post something up here when it's time so I can get some more info on nut replacing (I've already read in on it, but you can never be too sure).

Guitar setups are nice, but I'll look at it myself and I'll try and get it checked out by a friend of mine (who works at a local guitar store). I always try to learn stuff like that myself, instead of paying someone to do it every time.

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details