Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
TMIsaacC

Post Fender Prodigy and Questions

I've played acoustic Guitar for about a year now and know the basics - chords, classical finger picking, some scales, etc. Though now I want to move on into Electric.
- I learned this with some private lessons and I take a guitar class at school.

Before that, I have played piano for 11 years or so, so I have an understanding of musical theory.

I read somewhere that Electric is better for beginners simply because it's easier on the fingers so one can practice more. Though, I wanted to get a good feel for an acoustic first so that when I wanted to move on into electric it would, hopefully, be even easier and I would already have the basics.

I really like 90s music; Blind Melon, Nirvana, The Melvins, Mudhoney, The Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, all that. Though, I noticed that practicing that kind of stuff will not get me past power-chords. So I understand that I need to practice all kinds of music in order to be a versatile guitarist. - That shouldn't be an issue, I like all kinds of music.

Knowing I have to practice all kinds of music, I chose the Fender Prodigy as my first model. It's a White 91 model, used. - I will post pictures when I am allowed to play it; not until Christmas. My first amp is a Fender Mustang II for its versatility.

Anyway, here are my questions:

Is there anything I should specifically practice? - Any essentials for Electric guitar?

Is my setup good for a first-time player, or should I have gone another route?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to some tips and advice.

Last edited by TMIsaacC : 12-14-2012 at 11:09 AM.
TMIsaacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
ekomouse

Acoustic is better to start with. Higher action, thicker neck, focus on chords; all translate into an easier transition to electric guitar. You should focus on what you want to get better at. Obviously power chords are easily mastered, but you can try transposing power chord songs into chorded songs (with full bar chords). Another thing you can focus on is songs that involves alternate picking and power chords while still being doable, like My Name is Jonas.

Your gear is much better than mine way when I started haha.
ekomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
TMIsaacC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekomouse
Acoustic is better to start with. Higher action, thicker neck, focus on chords; all translate into an easier transition to electric guitar. You should focus on what you want to get better at. Obviously power chords are easily mastered, but you can try transposing power chord songs into chorded songs (with full bar chords). Another thing you can focus on is songs that involves alternate picking and power chords while still being doable, like My Name is Jonas.

Your gear is much better than mine way when I started haha.

I actually already learned My Name is Jonas. - It was the first one by Weezer that I did because the finger-picking was appealing because I only had an acoustic.

But yea, I want to be a very versatile player, so I guess that means.. "Practice everything!"
TMIsaacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
johnyere

www.justinguitar.com

also, if you can, try to get a GOOD guitar teacher.
johnyere is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: