Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
WCPhils
Banned

Gun control (serious discussion only)

So with all of the horrible mass shooting happening throughout the US in the last year I've been thinking about the issue of gun control a lot.

I used to be on the fence leaning towards the right to own guns, but not as much anymore.

I really see no reason why we as a country should have such easy access to guns. Especially high grade automatic weapons.

I'm not really for an all out ban. I just think laws should be much stricter and like I said, I see no reason to own automatic weapons.

Where do you stand on the issue?

And please people, for the sake of discussion, keep it at least sort of civil.

Last edited by WCPhils : 12-14-2012 at 04:30 PM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

More guns = higher potential risk of shootings.

Availability + people going mental (as happens) = not a good combination.

And the criminals will get weapons either way, I'm more scared of the "random dude on the street" having a gun to protect himself than the through-and-through criminals. Becuase the latter are atleast being criminal and rational about it. The random dude with a gun is absolutely impossible to get a grip on and what he/she is capable of.

I'm as much against it as you can be.

You see, I'm liberal but to a degree I want everybody to be free
But if you think I'd let Barry Goldwater move in next door and marry my daughter you must think I'm crazy.

Last edited by JohnnyGenzale : 12-14-2012 at 04:23 PM.
JohnnyGenzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Johnny_Ibanez
ʎuuɥoſ

There's already a thread for this on the first page lol.

But naw.

According to this 270,000 Americans have been killed by guns since 9/11. Why don't you get it?
Johnny_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
metaldud536
Similar to a pony

NO GUNZ equals NO FUN

My Deviant Art Page
Manchester United
metaldud536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Our culture of violence is really the biggest issue.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Section 5
How YOU doin'?

There is the argument that the state controlling what one can and cannot own is a slippery slope. But when it's to do with such dangerous and lethal objects, I really think there should be a lot, lot more control over who can own guns.

^270,000 killed since 9/11. That says it all really, shocking statistic.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
jonathan666666
UG's Boyscout

Copy and pasted from the other thread
The U.K. is an Island. It is easier to regulate what's coming and going.
Many people protect themselves with firearms, the media just chooses not to discuss it.
I was taught to respect guns. I haven't killed anyone. when kids are taught by shitty parents that guns are for killing people that owe you money, or to use if your hoe doesn't listen to you, they're probably going to use them for evil.
Even if guns are banned, there's over one billion rounds of ammunition in the U.S.A. If a criminal can find one round of ammunition, they can build a gun in an hour and kill a defenseless person.
The stories about how evil guns are are much more interesting news than how good they are. School shootings will get a news channel way more attention than "Jonathan666666 goes hunting and brings home a turkey for Thanksgiving." Stories about responsible gun use do not make money.
If someone really really wants to kill someone, but they don't have a gun, they can stab/beat/run over/burn the person. Murder wasn't invented the same day the gun was.
America is filled with guns. It would be worth it if the educational system would teach kids to respect firearms. Instead, they are taught that they are terrible things.
I hate saying this, but what if the Jews had firearms in Germany in the 30's and 40's. Things would have been a bit different. This applies to any genocide throughout history.
There are already so many guns here, that if you took them away, the criminals would still have theirs, thus making it worse for the everyday citizens. This is just my opinion. I feel terrible that this happened. Trust me, not everyone that is pro gun is a psychopath.
+
you can't go by statistics. How many deaths are suicides? Not all deaths are murdered.
And I can't stress this enough. IF YOU EDUCATE PEOPLE TO BE RESPONSIBLE WITH GUNS, THEY ARE MORE LIKELY TO ACTUALLY BE RESPONSIBLE!
+
I didn't want to get into this story, but here it goes.
A friend and I stop at a deli on the way to his house. We buy our shit and leave. On our way out two urban youth lift their shirts and show a handgun that each of them had tucked in their wasteband. This isn't a ****ing joke. I'm not making this shit up to prove
a point. The kids tell us to empty our pockets. while this is happening, a paddy wagon drives by and my friend screams out for assistance. kids get startled, we run to my car. police don't hear us. we reported it. nothing happened. even after that, my friend and I both believe that U.S. citizens should be permitted to have guns. Think of that situation like this:
Guns illegal, bad guys have guns, good guys don't
Guns legal, we have an equal chance.
That's another point. Firearms make everybody equal. They make a 300lb man and a 5 year old girl equal. No one would ever have an advantage over you if you were both armed. it keeps us all the same.
I am open for mature debate.

Last edited by jonathan666666 : 12-14-2012 at 04:32 PM.
jonathan666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
soundgarden1986
sairento hiru

I wouldn't mind stricter control at all, but I don't want an all out ban. You see, I'm quite interested in starting a handgun collection once I'm 21. We don't really need to be selling ridiculous shit like the high grade automatic stuff though.
soundgarden1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan666666
Copy and pasted from the other thread
The U.K. is an Island. It is easier to regulate what's coming and going.
Many people protect themselves with firearms, the media just chooses not to discuss it.
I was taught to respect guns. I haven't killed anyone. when kids are taught by shitty parents that guns are for killing people that owe you money, or to use if your hoe doesn't listen to you, they're probably going to use them for evil.
Even if guns are banned, there's over one billion rounds of ammunition in the U.S.A. If a criminal can find one round of ammunition, they can build a gun in an hour and kill a defenseless person.
The stories about how evil guns are are much more interesting news than how good they are. School shootings will get a news channel way more attention than "Jonathan666666 goes hunting and brings home a turkey for Thanksgiving." Stories about responsible gun use do not make money.
If someone really really wants to kill someone, but they don't have a gun, they can stab/beat/run over/burn the person. Murder wasn't invented the same day the gun was.
America is filled with guns. It would be worth it if the educational system would teach kids to respect firearms. Instead, they are taught that they are terrible things.
I hate saying this, but what if the Jews had firearms in Germany in the 30's and 40's. Things would have been a bit different. This applies to any genocide throughout history.
There are already so many guns here, that if you took them away, the criminals would still have theirs, thus making it worse for the everyday citizens. This is just my opinion. I feel terrible that this happened. Trust me, not everyone that is pro gun is a psychopath.
+
you can't go by statistics. How many deaths are suicides? Not all deaths are murdered.
And I can't stress this enough. IF YOU EDUCATE PEOPLE TO BE RESPONSIBLE WITH GUNS, THEY ARE MORE LIKELY TO ACTUALLY BE RESPONSIBLE!

People will still lose their shit from time to time. And with guns around it doesn't realy matter how well you've educated people. Drunk/high/extremely desperate/scared individuals are not going to act rationally or logically. And in such a situation a gun is rather tempting.

But the entire problem really starts with the general mental health of people and the idea of murdering your fellow human beings. And once that thought has grown on you little if nothing will really stop you. We can't really protect us from these kind of situations anyway.

Last edited by JohnnyGenzale : 12-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.
JohnnyGenzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Depends on the weapon in question. A rifle can have legitimate uses in hunting or sports shooting (although why you need a proper rifle for that and can't simply use a pellet gun (which takes a lot more skill to be accurate with) is beyond me). Pistols, however, don't really have any use beyond killing other humans (and sports shooting, but again you don't need a bullet pistol for that). Automatic weaponry is the same.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
ErikLensherr
Bram Sockmann

Much stricter gun control at the least. These NRA dickheads lobby to eliminate even cursory waiting periods. They have entirely too much power over policy.

I guess I'd be for outright banning assault weapons too. Because I can't think of any legitimate compelling reason a civilian needs an assault rifle.
When yer ready to take the leap with yer mouth-probe and direct it under her robe, ya ALWAYS gotta give the round brown mound a bit of them sweet tongue pounds cause I tell ya, her moans will be the only sound BOO-YA

Last edited by ErikLensherr : 12-14-2012 at 04:26 PM.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
bradulator
through being cool

My initial gut reaction after this story is in favor of gun control after being on the fence and mostly indifferent but leaning more towards right to own.

I'm not going to say that i'm in favor of gun control though until this episode has passed because it's easy to say **** guns ban it who cares out of pure emotion after something like this.

Last edited by bradulator : 12-14-2012 at 04:26 PM.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan666666

Firearms have been confiscated from victims of genocide before. In Germany especially, the Jews were such a minority it wouldn't have made any difference.
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
Eastwinn
UG ex-Addict

gun control is not the root of the problem by any means.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
Drache Wachter
UG's Bass Bone

Drache Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
blake1221
‭‭

My distrust for the government is too high to ever be in favor of ridding all guns.

Plus this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn

And this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache Wachter
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
WCPhils
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
My initial gut reaction after this story is in favor of gun control after being on the fence, mostly indifferent, but leaning more towards right to own.

I'm not going to say that i'm in favor of gun control though until this episode has passed because it's easy to say **** guns ban it who cares out of pure emotion after something like this.

I understand that

It isn't just because of this story though. I've been thinking about it for a few months now ever since one of my classes had a big discussion on it at the end of my semester last year. I was pretty neutral there, but some of their arguments have swung to be more in favor of gun control.

Last edited by WCPhils : 12-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
bradulator
through being cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn

I honestly think that mental illness along with the insane amount of media coverage given to people who do things like this is a bigger problem than gun control. Especially the media coverage and people's obsession with big stories like this.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
bradulator
through being cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
My distrust for the government is too high to ever be in favor of ridding all guns.

I also agree with you.

Stricter regulation or restrictions or whatever is probably as far as I envision myself going.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
Carnivean
UG Board King

Make guns illegal? People would still get a hold of guns.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: