User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
I honestly think that mental illness along with the insane amount of media coverage given to people who do things like this is a bigger problem than gun control. Especially the media coverage and people's obsession with big stories like this.

You mean that there's people who do these kind of things partly because they wanna be the focal point of one of these stories? Or am I understanding you correctly?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #22
Eastwinn
the body electric

Quote:
I honestly think that mental illness along with the insane amount of media coverage given to people who do things like this is a bigger problem than gun control. Especially the media coverage and people's obsession with big stories like this.

maybe, but that's only a teeny weeny fraction of gun violence here. we need to look at poverty and its relationship with drugs and gangs.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
It's definitely mental health.

It's definitely culture of violence.

Sensationalism in the media is a problem (not that big of one, but one nonetheless).

It's just like, violence will be here guns or not. If this guy didn't have a gun, he would have used a knife or a bat or something.

I'm all for making guns tougher to obtain, but it's not going to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
maybe, but that's only a teeny weeny fraction of gun violence here. we need to look at poverty and its relationship with drugs and gangs.
Absolutely.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache Wachter

Yeah, just like 1955 - 1975 was not the time to talk about the Vietnam war.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #25
Geldin

Quote:

If this guy hadn't had a gun, there's no way in hell he would have killed 26 people. It was a gun that enabled him to kill that many people. Considering that information about him is extremely limited, I won't say anything about the shooter's mental state. What I can say is that if he didn't own a gun, killing that many people would have been a damn sight more difficult.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Sensationalism in the media is a problem (not that big of one, but one nonetheless).

No, there was a link in the Aurora shooting thread about how publicizing the assailant increases the likelihood and speed of the next incident. Sensationalism is huge.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #27
Johnny_Ibanez
ʎuuɥoſ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
My distrust for the government is too high to ever be in favor of ridding all guns.

So what, when the government comes knocking you're going to shoot them? You're going to shoot the government? The government that spends $600bn a year on the military? You're going to "take them down" with your gun?
Johnny_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #28
Carnivean
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
If this guy hadn't had a gun, there's no way in hell he would have killed 26 people. It was a gun that enabled him to kill that many people. Considering that information about him is extremely limited, I won't say anything about the shooter's mental state. What I can say is that if he didn't own a gun, killing that many people would have been a damn sight more difficult.

You can still get a gun if guns are illegal.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:
It's definitely mental health.

It's definitely culture of violence.

It's just like, violence will be here guns or not. If this guy didn't have a gun, he would have used a knife or a bat or something.

I'm all for making guns tougher to obtain, but it's not going to fix it.Absolutely.

It's much easier to go on a killing rampage with a gun than with a baseball bat.

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #30
metaldud536
Similar to a pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan666666
I was taught to respect guns. I haven't killed anyone. when kids are taught by shitty parents that guns are for killing people that owe you money, or to use if your hoe doesn't listen to you, they're probably going to use them for evil.

Quote:
Even if guns are banned, there's over one billion rounds of ammunition in the U.S.A.

Right and there would be no guns to fire those rounds
Quote:
If a criminal can find one round of ammunition, they can build a gun in an hour and kill a defenseless person.

If a criminal was that well off in weapons manufacturing, he probably wouldn't be a criminal
Quote:
If someone really really wants to kill someone, but they don't have a gun, they can stab/beat/run over/burn the person. Murder wasn't invented the same day the gun was.

Those are all easier to defend against and have a better chance of surviving all that shit.
Quote:
America is filled with guns. It would be worth it if the educational system would teach kids to respect firearms. Instead, they are taught that they are terrible things.

They were made to kill and/or injure living things....what is so positive about that?
Quote:
I hate saying this, but what if the Jews had firearms in Germany in the 30's and 40's. Things would have been a bit different. This applies to any genocide throughout history.

The Jews were citizens of a corrupt country at the time. I'm pretty sure non-Jew German citizens also didn't have weapons.
Quote:

There are already so many guns here, that if you took them away, the criminals would still have theirs, thus making it worse for the everyday citizens. This is just my opinion. I feel terrible that this happened. Trust me, not everyone that is pro gun is a psychopath.

The same law taking away guns from people would apply to criminals. Criminals mostly get caught. Few get away. Start slowly and you will see how violence will be better taken care of in this country. Statistics do show how gun control reduces homicides.

If we started a program where you can turn in firearms for a good amount of cash along with banning firearms for good, I'm sure it would reduce the incentive for poor criminals to go out and rob people.

My Deviant Art Page
Manchester United
metaldud536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #31
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
No, there was a link in the Aurora shooting thread about how publicizing the assailant increases the likelihood and speed of the next incident. Sensationalism is huge.
Can you find that link?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #32
blake1221
‭‭

Gimme a sec.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #33
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean

Yes, but it's a lot harder for the average Joe. The people who are responsible for these massacres are rarely people that are deep down into criminality and rough neighbourhoods.

These people would have a much harder time aquiring a gun if they wanted to carry out the murders.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #34
Robfreitag

Where I live you can't own a gun, unless you're on a or keep it at a gun range or something, but mostly, you can't own one. consequently we have less deadly violence than countries that allow guns.
Society is built on rules and regulations which are supposed to be for the good of the community. I feel that even though I would like to have a gun, I'm very happy living in a country that has ruled against gun ownership for the good of society.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #35
Carnivean
UG Board King

I think we can all establish that GUNS are not the sole reason these killings have been happening. There's something else to it.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #36
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Can you find that link?

ur all shit posted it so it wasn't just some random ass dumb person fwiw [i think].
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #37
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
It's much easier to go on a killing rampage with a gun than with a baseball bat.
Easier, yes.

Impossible, no.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #38
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
ur all shit posted it so it wasn't just some random ass dumb person fwiw [i think].
I wasn't doubting it. I wanted to read it out of interest.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #39
bradulator
through being cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGenzale
You mean that there's people who do these kind of things partly because they wanna be the focal point of one of these stories? Or am I understanding you correctly?

I think so yes. and stories like these are gold for media. and people like to follow stories like this no matter how horrible they are. and people like to know all of the information and like to find facebook pages of the culprit and yada yada. Here's a quote from Roger Ebert speaking about what he sees as media's role in shit like this:

Quote:
Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. “Wouldn’t you say,” she asked, “that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?” No, I said, I wouldn’t say that. “But what about ‘Basketball Diaries’?” she asked. “Doesn’t that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?” The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it’s unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. “Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn’t have messed with me. I’ll go out in a blaze of glory.”

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of “explaining” them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #40
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean

Of course you can. But it's more expensive and more difficult. I'm not going to conjecture about this guy specifically, but if a weapon is twice as difficult to obtain and twice as expensive, then logically, fewer people will have that weapon.

Look at the numbers. Countries with strict gun control laws have seen a dramatic reduction of firearm related fatalities. Would that have necessarily stopped this guy? There's no way of knowing. Will gun control laws stop potential shooters? The numbers say yes.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: