Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

As for the software look into a POD studio to plug into a computer, i had one and i loved it
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #22
keks_

This is neither here nor there, but this video and guitar and player blow my mind:

[youtube]32GZ3suxRn4[/youtube]

I love 0:00 to 0:50 when he's just tooling around

One of my favorites. McIntosh is an absolute master too.
keks_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #23
keks_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addonexus408
As for the software look into a POD studio to plug into a computer, i had one and i loved it
Looks like the entry level ones cost $100 or so.

Shopping list so far:
- used guitar from a local store (I don't trust craigslist because I am not qualified to tell if a guitar is good, and won't be able to return it)
- new strings
- POD studio USB interface
- strap and stand

1. Anything else I need to buy?
2. Can I learn online or do I have to take lessons in person?

I have to admit that I am also going to buy Rocksmith just to play My Chemical Romance songs on it.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #24
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

If you're going to buy Rocksmith, the chord it comes with also connects to your computer.
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Hey man believe it or not I got other things in life to do aside from trolling assburger kids yaknow?

No you don't

lol
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #25
thebestjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by keks_

1. Anything else I need to buy?
2. Can I learn online or do I have to take lessons in person?

A tuner and Metronome(Optional for now) will help a ton. Korg makes a nuclear holocaust-proof tuner/metronome for around $30 IIRC.
Learning online is sufficient as long as you get everything. I started that way, and after a few months, got a teacher.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #26
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Looks like the entry level ones cost $100 or so.

Shopping list so far:
- used guitar from a local store (I don't trust craigslist because I am not qualified to tell if a guitar is good, and won't be able to return it)

Not a bad idea, sometimes people to try to unload junk on CL!
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #27
keks_

Just bought a new epi les paul 100. Decent or did I dun goofed?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #28
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Goofed. Return it asap.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
samuraigoomba

Cheap epiphones are not good. Same for Squier, in my opinion. Go used and cruise craigslist/ebay, you can find something better. I mean, c'mon, if you like SGs the SG400 sells for about $200 used. If you like Les Pauls, Agile has LPs in your price range.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
whyze250f
UG's OCD resident.

i agree with going used... out of the 6 guitars ive owned only one has been new and it was a crappy peavey starter pack guitar. it just kinda sucks because as a beginner you don't really know what to look for in a used guitar to make sure its alright, but if you buy it used from a shop most offer some sort of 30 day warranty.
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300

Last edited by whyze250f : 12-16-2012 at 03:50 PM.
whyze250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #31
Alucard817

Yeah. Stay away from cheapy Epiphones. My friends old LP special II fell apart in a matter of months (Too many cheap plastic bits) Squiers on the other hand tend to be much better quality in that price range. Return the Epi, and play EVERYTHING on the wall in your price range.

You won't end up with a golden ticket, but if you're lucky you will hopefully get a work horse of a guitar.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #32
attilathehun

Quote:
Beginner here, as you can tell form the guitar selection. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I have a burning desire to start playing. If I get hooked I'll spend a few thousand on my next guitar but for now this will just be something to play around with.

Which would you buy and why:

Squier Standard Stratocaster Left-Handed Electric Guitar Antique Burst ($225)

or

Epiphone Les Paul Special II Left-Handed Electric Guitar Heritage Cherry Sunburst ($185)

or what else would you recommend?

Music I love, and will try to learn: My Chemical Romance, John Mayer, Boys Like Girls, Oasis, Metallica.

Also, what is the best software to connect the guitar to a computer and play around with effects? Is it possible to get close to the John Mayer sound using software?

Thanks for helping a lefty. I am not looking to buy an amp, I just want to plug into a computer and listen through headphones or record.
don't buy either one. Get a Jayturser for starting out because the hardware is better. Bolt-on or set neck
attilathehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #33
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

Quote:
Just bought a new epi les paul 100. Decent or did I dun goofed?

better than the special II, but barely, still not great. My advice is to return it and get a Yamaha Pacifica instead, it's better than anything in its price range (speaking from experience).
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #34
Broole

Quote:
Thank you I really appreciate your honest feedback. I'm still thinking and researching, considering getting a decent USED guitar, which I could always sell and get a better one later.

Do not let anyone convince you to play right handed if you are not comfortable playing right handed. Play left handed if that is more natural for you. I ran into the same mindset back in the 80's before internet stores, ebay, etc. made it much easier to find left handed guitars. Worrying about not having as large of selection of guitars in the future is silly. If three of the most defining bands in history like the Beatles, Black Sabbath and Nirvana can "deal with the difficulty" of a lefty guitarist, you can too. You'll be fine.
Broole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #35
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broole
Do not let anyone convince you to play right handed if you are not comfortable playing right handed. Play left handed if that is more natural for you. I ran into the same mindset back in the 80's before internet stores, ebay, etc. made it much easier to find left handed guitars. Worrying about not having as large of selection of guitars in the future is silly. If three of the most defining bands in history like the Beatles, Black Sabbath and Nirvana can "deal with the difficulty" of a lefty guitarist, you can too. You'll be fine.

Why severely restrict the guitars you can buy in the future? That doesn't make any sense. Is playing left-handed going to be more comfortable for him if he has never picked up a guitar before? Nope. No more comfortable than if he tries to play right-handed.

You might think it sounds silly to play right handed, but when 99% of guitars are right-handed, it's enough of a reason to play right-handed over left. It's not going to be any more comfortable to him to play one way or the other if he's never pickup up a guitar before, and even if he has, he'll get used to it.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-18-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

That's more complicated than you think. I have an acquaintance who is a lefty but tried to learn on a right-handed guitar. He tried hard, but the nature made "boundaries" to his playing. I mean, it went well at first, but in the long run he just couldn't make his hands play more technically complex things. I think it has something to do with the fact he is a lefty.

So if you are going to play simple rock music, playing a regular guitar is fine, but if you really want to achieve great results and play something more difficult in the future, buy a left-handed guitar.

And you mentioned that you would spend a thousand dollars on your next guitar if you enjoy playing. That means you have an extra option of a custom guitar.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #37
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleguitar
That's more complicated than you think. I have an acquaintance who is a lefty but tried to learn on a right-handed guitar. He tried hard, but the nature made "boundaries" to his playing. I mean, it went well at first, but in the long run he just couldn't make his hands play more technically complex things. I think it has something to do with the fact he is a lefty.

Perhaps he just needed more practice?

(・ω・`)
Old 12-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #38
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Perhaps he just needed more practice?

You can achieve any level if you practice a lot. Just saying it would be much easier if he played a guitar that was intended for lefties.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #39
keks_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broole

Yeah man even the people at the store tried to convince me to play righty which is absurd, I AM LEFT-HANDED. It applies to guitar and everything else, even if I've never done it before. I tried a right-handed guitar before and it felt so awkward. The left one felt natural. So right off the bat before I even learn I can tell you that the left-handed guitar felt right.

About the Les Paul 100: It's really a great beginner guitar. I do not regret buying it, and do not want to trade it in right now. It has a great sound, warm and gritty, I love it. I saw videos of other cheap guitars under $500 produce much better sound, but I'm still sticking to this because I am still an absolute beginner.

Instead of going for an immediate upgrade I want to wait one year, at which time I'll be reasonably good, then buy a new one.

Questions:
- What should my next guitar be? I'm eyeing the Fender Johm Mayer, costs like $2700 I think but sounds amazing.

What do you recommend?

Also, is there a site where I can learn the basics of guitar? I'm making good progress because of Rocksmith, I'm able to strum, fret, tremolo, do slides, sustains, chords, harmonics, mutes, hammerons and pulloffs. and play along to one song so far. I can't do them perfectly but it's not bad for 4 days of practice. My goal is to be able to play "Welcome to the Black Parade" within 2-3 weeks.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #40
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

Quote:
Yeah man even the people at the store tried to convince me to play righty which is absurd, I AM LEFT-HANDED. It applies to guitar and everything else, even if I've never done it before. I tried a right-handed guitar before and it felt so awkward. The left one felt natural. So right off the bat before I even learn I can tell you that the left-handed guitar felt right.

About the Les Paul 100: It's really a great beginner guitar. I do not regret buying it, and do not want to trade it in right now. It has a great sound, warm and gritty, I love it. I saw videos of other cheap guitars under $500 produce much better sound, but I'm still sticking to this because I am still an absolute beginner.

Instead of going for an immediate upgrade I want to wait one year, at which time I'll be reasonably good, then buy a new one.

Questions:
- What should my next guitar be? I'm eyeing the Fender Johm Mayer, costs like $2700 I think but sounds amazing.

What do you recommend?

Also, is there a site where I can learn the basics of guitar? I'm making good progress because of Rocksmith, I'm able to strum, fret, tremolo, do slides, sustains, chords, harmonics, mutes, hammerons and pulloffs. and play along to one song so far. I can't do them perfectly but it's not bad for 4 days of practice. My goal is to be able to play "Welcome to the Black Parade" within 2-3 weeks.

I'm left handed and I play right handed. How can something that you've never done feel natural at all to you any how?

Anyhow as long as you are enjoying it and don't really care about the limited selection and the fact that you won't be able to pick up and play some one else's guitar or just pick up an extra axe to jam with like 100 percent of the time it's all good.

Rate This Thread: