Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
bigfyt
guitar?

effects sounds suggestions

hey guys

so am after abit of distortion and perhaps some other effects, nothing huge but just more than ive got going on now. i like playing all types of genres, the heaviest i go is metallica pantera and that is not the tone im after more a muck around.

i've got a epiphone les paul standard running through a vox ac15c1

so far if i want to play clean i have the amp volume up and the guitar pickups down when it comes to the distorted/ dirty parts i crank the guitar up and it gets abit heavier.

i am after either some more tricks/ settings i can use on this amp/guitar or perhaps a pedal.

also are those digital stomp boxes any good? seems fun to have endless effects however i turned away from those types of amps because they sounded rubbish so i am thinking these pedals might be the same?

cheers in advance
bigfyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

If you don't want digital stuff with all the patches & presets that go with them, try a Boss ME70. It's a multi-fx unit, so it has more than enough different things for you to play with, but it's designed to work as all separate pedals.

I had it's predecessor (ME50) for several years & was always happy with it. Some of the distortions weren't brilliant, but there are enough to keep most people happy & everything else is pretty good.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

I would recommend an overdrive pedal (Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez Tubescreamer, Digitech Hardwire CM2, etc.) and a delay pedal to start with.

Unless you want a multi-fx unit which I don't know much about.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
bigfyt
guitar?

read some reviews is overdrive really what i am after for my amp? is technically single channel yes? and doesnt have gain, reviews seem to say it is just a boost/reducer for you already gained amp.

am i right here or completly wrong.

id say the dirty i am after is pobably 90's grunge and some old school zepplin, doors, hendrix stuff
Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
DoubleBassCrash

There's some really cool digital stuff out there, some people can hear the difference, others can't, bottom line - it's really what you end up doing with it. I'd love a moog MF-104M delay, but my Boss DD gets the job done.

Have a try at a Boss ODB-3, as noted in a previous post the Ibanez Tube Screamer is a great option, & if you can find one to test, try an Ibanez TK999 OD. Have a look at the T-rex tonebug overdrive & the Fulltone GT-500, too.
DoubleBassCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
bigfyt
guitar?

ill keep an eye out, any decent music store is a fair drive for me so id like to get some things crossed off the list before i go try some

so it is overdrive im looking for then
Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

If you want an Overdrive, you might also think about getting an EQ pedal.
Most EQ pedals also have a gain slider, so you can get your OD from that (if money is a big issue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings.

My friends call me Rob.
CodeMonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
bigfyt
guitar?

i think im in mid range of price to low if it is value for money.

is a boss bd2 something to look at?

so far i am keen to try the bad monkey seeing alot of good reviews and hearing what it does on youtube.

i wouldnt mind playing around with fuzz and wah but am not to concerned about that yet
Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

what is your budget? that matters the most when recommending pedals. you can get pretty much any 'type' of pedal or $20 for a cheap one and $300+ on the higher end stuff.

so how much are you wanting to spend on pedals now? do you want quantity over quality or quality over quantity.

for the money as far as OD's go, the bad monkey is pretty good, i had one for a while.

if you are just getting into effects, maybe it would be better to pick up a multieffects pedal (line 6, boss, digitech), it would have a lot of different effects you can save in a bank and recall with the twitch of a foot.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #10
bigfyt
guitar?

i don't mind spending $100-$200 on a individual pedal, although the multi's seem to start abit higher so perhaps the budget might need to expand.

either way it isn't stopping me from playing now i just want to get the best one for my needs

i don't want crap just because its cheap, if i have to spend more ill spend more. but in saying that i am no hendrix so i won't be pushing pedals to their limits or needing top of the line.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfyt
i don't mind spending $100-$200 on a individual pedal, although the multi's seem to start abit higher so perhaps the budget might need to expand.

either way it isn't stopping me from playing now i just want to get the best one for my needs

i don't want crap just because its cheap, if i have to spend more ill spend more. but in saying that i am no hendrix so i won't be pushing pedals to their limits or needing top of the line.

hell to be honest, i bought a korg ax1500g multieffects processor probably eight years ago for like ~$100 (it was a scratch and dent), but i sold it for ~$75 probably four years ago. i ironically was given one, (a bunch of other gear) from a coworker of my mothers. same unit, didn't sound too bad. i am sure you could find one for $50. it has everything on it, not top sounding like the HD pods, but if you want to have some fun and mess around, i would highly recommend that. its still enjoyable. you could sell it after you have more of an idea of what you use, want, and don't need.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: