Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
ArtistLion

Can't do full bends on the 6th string

The 4th and 5th string go fine up till the 8th fret. I wasn't so sure about the 6th string. So I re-tuned my guitar. And now it seems I can't bend that bastard a full tone. It sucks hard.
It seems that I need to shift it's position to the place of the 4th string (which I find weird cause that one and the 5th string only need to shift two strings upwards). I try to do that wrist flip movement that is seen in justinguitar video, alas my fingers come to a stand still when it gets to the place of the 4th string. It's like they hit a wall and can't go beyond any further.
Are there alternate ways to get better at bending? Out of anger I just wasted an entire hour on it >_>.
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
xonty

It's basically just practice but try lifting your wrist up a bit?
xonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
omidmash

It's funny how I never ever actually practiced bending yet they are probably the only thing I can do pretty good on a guitar. Let your wrist loose, and try to apply a little pressure with your thumb from the bottom of the neck, where the first two strings are. (I think that's a bit unclear, but with bottom I mean the place where you usually don't put your thumb at. Normally the thumb is on the middle of the neck or above it for the baseball bat grip.)
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Mike Quall

maybe you just have a shitty guitar
Mike Quall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Showiddlydiddly
Djangified

Use 8 gauge strings.

If you still have a problem, I'd just give up paying the guitar.
Showiddlydiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
ArtistLion

I just inspected my guitar and noticed that the 4th-6th strings are rather black. Furthermore they make my room smell oily. I haven't changed strings since the day I bought my guitar (which I think is like 3 years ago). Could this be a factor that the 6th string full bend is so awkwardly placed?
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
lilke

3 years? Whoa, dude. Sounds like you need some new strings. I wouldn't be surprised if you had difficulty even getting the guitar in tune.
lilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Showiddlydiddly
Djangified

You're basically a criminal now.

Change them at once.
Showiddlydiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

You should definitely replace your strings after 3 years, however I find it unlikely that that is the cause of this particular problem. String bending is probably the most physically demanding part of guitar, and it's something you just have to work at. Ensure you have the correct bending technique (as a general rule you'll want to use the side of your index as a pivot on the underside of the neck etc., there's plenty of guides on this including justinguitar) and just keep practising (unless it hurts, in which case stop for a while at least).

If you practise it every day, even if it's just 10 minutes, you'll eventually start to see results as the muscles required build up and your technique/coordination improve. Don't expect results straight away, bending and vibrato is just one of those things that always needs work.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: