Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Snotfish
whacktacular

I have a very strange request

I've been doing a lot of songwriting lately and I am trying to put names to the chords I am using. I only know the open chords A-G and some barre chords.

Is there a website where you can enter in the finger positions and it will give you the name of the chord you are using? Or does anyone have any tricks for labeling a completely random chord structure?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
amonamarthmetal

All-Guitar-chords.com
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
Wampler Ego Compressor
ISP Decimator G-string
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Also....

http://www.jguitar.com

Use the Chord Namer.

Regarding tricks naming chords using "random structure." Learn the notes on the neck of your guitar and then learn the major scale. Using the major scale on the 5th or 6th string, it's possible to identify the intervalic values of the notes you're playing and determine the name of the chord. Of course, you'll also need to be familiar with chord formulas. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck!

Last edited by KG6_Steven : 12-16-2012 at 07:00 PM.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Aays
Lurking as usual

Knowing how intervals work and how they relate to chord naming is always a good way to work out a chord's name.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
macashmack
Maskcashmack

The path that you are taking to learn guitar is not a sufficient one.
Learn the notes on the neck, learn how to construct chords (and why they are constructed that way), learn to recognize intervals by ear, learn about major and minor keys, study functional harmony, and learn to read sheet music. Learn all these to the point were you know them as thoroughly as you know the alphabet. It may seem difficult at first, but if you put one leg in front of the other and just stay at it every day, you'll be there in no time.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Snotfish
whacktacular

Cool thank you for the links, help, and advice everyone. Nice community going on here.

and I definitely would like to learn musical theory mac, I've been playing for 5 years now and I am very comfortable in the physical aspect of guitar, just having motivational issues to learn the more theoretical side.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Yea theory can seem a pretty daunting, but if you take it in small steps you'll be able to swallow it. What do you currently know in the theory department?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
asmileyfish

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

But try to learn the notes on your 2 thickest strings E and A. make a little exersize as a warm up perhaps by starting to name the notes on frets with the dots and then when your used to it a bit the ones without dots. Do that for a month and youl have them rememberd realy well.

Then after that if you know if a barr chord shape is eather major or minor your away because you can move them around (think E Major with a barred finger or A minor with a barred finger... Those 2 chords dont need and cant be barred at the first fret because they are open and theres no more room anyway).

Then id sugest learning a major scale pattern (just one octave at first) and what triads are so you can easily work out what chords fit in what key. One step at a time tho and each step leads to another.

Remember there is no dead ends with this stuff so take it steady and in small bites or youl choke.

Last edited by asmileyfish : 12-16-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: thought of somthing else.
asmileyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Snotfish
whacktacular

Great advice smiley fish, thank you for that. So far I know the names of major chords, and I know the pentatonic scale. While this seems very amateurish I still know a ton of blues/funk/jazz/rock chords and can rip out a freestyled solo because I generally know what notes to hit if I'm trying to stay in a chord. I would call myself quite a decent player with an exceptional knack for songwriting considering my experience. I feel like theory would help me quite a lot
Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
asmileyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotfish
Great advice smiley fish, thank you for that. So far I know the names of major chords, and I know the pentatonic scale. While this seems very amateurish I still know a ton of blues/funk/jazz/rock chords and can rip out a freestyled solo because I generally know what notes to hit if I'm trying to stay in a chord. I would call myself quite a decent player with an exceptional knack for songwriting considering my experience. I feel like theory would help me quite a lot

Awsome. Youd probably benafit from a music teacher for this stuff and it doesnt necerserily have to be a guitar teacher.. if sumone knows music theory they should be able to guide you anyway especialy if you can put your own groove onto things you learn. Maby phone some up in your area and see what there offering. Good teachers will teach you what you ask them for if they can.

The internet is great but it can easily be a minefeild. You should benafit from learning even a little theory and itl help with both rythym and lead.
asmileyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Snotfish
whacktacular

Thanks for words of encouragement my friend. I might try to find a theory class in my college, or maybe even check craigslist for a private instructor
Old 12-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Check out the link in my sig for a good intro to music theory.
Those plug-and-chug websites are more of a hindrance than anything else if you want to understand what you're playing because context is everything and context isn't something you can tell those websites.
We have a Name That Chord thread on this forum by the way. Asking people who know what they are talking about will always be better than a website. And you can be sure the first thing they will ask is "What is the context?" or "What progression is it in?"

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #13
Snotfish
whacktacular

this website is looking awesome, thank you for that. also, good to know about that name a chord thread. I appreciate the help man
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
food1010
Bassist

Do you know the notes on the fretboard? If so, learning the basics of diatonic scales/harmony will come pretty easy.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Hi, thought I'd stick a semi related question in this thread

Played around with this Chord Namer on those sites (I generally don't know what I'm playing nor much theory )
It will name most of the strange chords I've encountered

But something like... 456xxx - this is of course something that generally doesn't sound nice and is rarely used, so I guess if it's not a chord by definition; what is it?

Last edited by fanapathy : 12-17-2012 at 05:15 PM.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

It's a dyad. Specifically, it's a tritone with the root doubled. It's not a chord because it contains only two notes, Ab and D.

EDIT: Whoops, fix'd the mistake.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort

Last edited by rockingamer2 : 12-17-2012 at 11:06 PM.
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
It's a dyad. Specifically, it's a tritone with the root doubled. It's not a chord because it contains only two notes, Ab and D.
Fixed. But correct otherwise.

It could be part of a larger chord, such as Abdim(7), Ddim(7), E7, Bb7, Amaj7(#11) or potentially any other chords that contain a tritone.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #18
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
Do you know the notes on the fretboard?

+1 Great advice. How did you do it? TS could learn from your experience.
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #19
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
+1 Great advice. How did you do it? TS could learn from your experience.
Well I started out a sax player so I already was familiar with the musical alphabet and basic scale construction. All it took for me was just putting the pieces together. Learning barre chords helped me a lot. Once you know the root notes in the lower positions, you can just use cheats to figure out the notes on the rest of the neck (e.g. down 5 frets and up a string is the same note, up two strings and two frets is an octave, etc.).

Rate This Thread: