Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
aaroncaper

squier vintage modified custom tele or melody maker

debating on what to buy, thought i'd ask the wonderful community here on UG what their oppinions are.

melody maker les paul, 458$ canadian taxes in. played it, like the neck, good tone, light, comfortable. american made, and limited run! simple guitar at that

vintage modified tele (squier) 499$ on fender site (will be less than that at long and mcquade). could order it, humbucker, single coil in bridge, 3 way selection. so its
got a few things the melody maker doesnt. higher end squier (assuming?) and on a side note this style/model tele is sentimental to me

tl;dr what do you guys think? what will be the best quality and bang for the buck?

Compulsive gear buyer
aaroncaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
halfj06

Your sig says you have a tele and lp guitar.. what are you wanting that those can't do
?
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Robbgnarly

i have a soft spot for melody makers, so Thats my choice.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Bhaok
The evil old man

Melody Maker.

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Blompcube
Registered User Error

unless you really can't live without a neck pickup, i'd strongly recommend a melody maker over a squier VM tele.
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
sonic_777111
BJAA!!

With these it's personal taste. Neither one is bad. A lot of people immediately jump to the Gibson because "US-made" is a huge buzzword, but the Squiers at that price point are at least as nice. But if you like the Gibson, which it seems you do, I'd recommend that one.

Also, the guitars in your sig seem to overlap overwhelmingly with these - why a new one at all?
sonic_777111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Bhaok
The evil old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_777111
With these it's personal taste. Neither one is bad. A lot of people immediately jump to the Gibson because "US-made" is a huge buzzword, but the Squiers at that price point are at least as nice. But if you like the Gibson, which it seems you do, I'd recommend that one.

Also, the guitars in your sig seem to overlap overwhelmingly with these - why a new one at all?

I own a Melody Maker 58 re-issue and play it every day. I also happen to own 2 Squiers. A 51 and a Deluxe Mahogany Fat Strat. The MM's plays better and the tone absolutely smokes both Squiers. BTW made in the USA is not a buzz word. I would much rather spend my money putting the guy down the street to work then having it shipped over seas.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
ilikekfc

i would say the tele, the melody makers are alright for the price but than you are really limited with one pickup, and, my own taste, i think they look ugly. like someone else on here said "people jump too them because they are us made", these teles are made in Indonesia i believe, well my standard is, and they are well built guitars. personally i would go tele, more variation in sound and people wont look at you and laugh, than say, haha he couldnt afford a real gibson, trust me, i heard it said before.
ilikekfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Bhaok
The evil old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikekfc
i would say the tele, the melody makers are alright for the price but than you are really limited with one pickup, and, my own taste, i think they look ugly. like someone else on here said "people jump too them because they are us made", these teles are made in Indonesia i believe, well my standard is, and they are well built guitars. personally i would go tele, more variation in sound and people wont look at you and laugh, than say, haha he couldnt afford a real gibson, trust me, i heard it said before.

The Melody Maker is a real guitar. There is also a funny thing about guitars. If you can actually play it no one will give 2 hoots what name is on the head stock. Except other guitar players and we all know they are asshats.

Rate This Thread: