Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid

Any websites or videos to help learn guitar positions (for sight reading)?

I tried searching but couldn't find anything good. I'm looking for some good website or videos to help me learn sightreading in keys other than C.

I am working in a classical book right now that doesn't explain it too well. Basically I want to know how to change the keys or play in different keys (pretty much play anything written).
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

You play the notes that you read. Can you read sheet music? Have you memorized all the notes on the guitar?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
You play the notes that you read. Can you read sheet music? Have you memorized all the notes on the guitar?

No I haven't memorized all the notes on the guitar, I can fairly quickly figure It out from knowing the notes on E and A.

I can read sheet music but currently only the key of C and G. I know(or have heard) that there are certain positions that can make things a bit easier for figuring it out and I just want an introduction. In the past I knew where most of the notes were but I don't know a good approach to memorizing them.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

You should learn to read music in all the keys fluently. And you should memorize all the notes cold.
As for tricks, I do not know. The guitar is very strangely put together and in truth you just need to figure out the best way to play a song by playing it and figuring it out. Sometimes it takes hours. It sucks but that's just the way it is
Old 12-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Kromeo

I can relate to the problem that your having. I too have tried to look up websites to improve my sightreading. I came across a sightreading book for guitar called Reading Studies for Guitar. It covers all keys in all the positions.

I find that it is easier to sightread on piano (I have been playing for 3 months), than guitar (which I have been sightreading for 3 years). The guitar is a very odd instrument in terms of reading proper notation.

I would suggest that you learn ALL the notes on the fretboard. You can do this by using flashcards, diagrams, patterns, whatever is best for you. This will take time, so do not get discouraged. As for playing in different keys, I suggest that you do what my percussion teachers told me to do "just do it". Find a piece online which is in an unfamiliar key, (eg. A major), then physically tell yourself that F C and G are sharp and the rest are natural.

This might seem quite useless, but there is no easy way (and if there is, please share it with me
Kromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromeo
This might seem quite useless, but there is no easy way (and if there is, please share it with me

Haha, no it makes sense. If there is a way I'll find out with my instructor tonight. I am wondering though, would it be considered "cheating" or would you not learn as much if you just played in a different key by using major and minor scale shapes?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneMasterDelux
I can read sheet music but currently only the key of C and G. I know(or have heard) that there are certain positions that can make things a bit easier for figuring it out and I just want an introduction. In the past I knew where most of the notes were but I don't know a good approach to memorizing them.

I know exactly what you mean. I started learning classical guitar back in February/March this year and they go by positions (1st position being open strings through 4th fret, 2nd position is 2nd fret through 5th fret, and so forth). I suggest a copy of Frederick Noad's solo guitar playing vol 1. It's the book I've been going by (though not the only thing I've been learning classical from. I have a teacher and he's brought etudes and songs that aren't in the book, for me to study, but still, the book helped me out a lot), and it really goes step by step. Starting out simple, then gets trickier and teaches all the positions.

I tried to teach sight-reading to myself, but it felt like it was taking forever to get good at it, now with my teacher and this book it made sense very quickly.

Last edited by CryogenicHusk : 12-17-2012 at 06:13 PM.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid

Thanks for the hints Cryo! Basically what my teacher told me is just to use major and minor scales for the positions and that also helps to learn the fretboard, its slow though (like all good learning topics)

Rate This Thread: