Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
D..W..

Music Theory- Where should I start?

So I want to improve my music theory knowledge. The trouble is I've found endless amounts of great information here and elsewhere, and I'm not sure where I should start. I understand a handful of basic things (intervals, scales, chord formation, chord progressions, keys etc), but know I need to learn a lot more and that there may be things I've missed. Say, if you were going back and learning it all over again, what would you learn first? Is there anything you would learn sooner then you did, or something you would learn later (so it made sense, rather then trying to jump in at the deep end)? So, how did you do it, would you do anything differently?
D..W.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

www.justinguitar.com and www.musictheory.net. Both sites have a ton of helpful info on them and it's laid out fairly well. Makes it pretty easy to understand. Plus, if you ever need clarification on a specific subject, there's the columns and lessons sections here on UG.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
metal4all
Always tripping

I screwed up by "learning" too much all the while incapable of applying any of it. Don't get in over your head. You need a good foundation. Know the fretboard. Really learn the major scale and the tons of chords you can play.

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
deluxity
...leading to death

Make sure you know every note in the fretboard

Learn voicings and arpeggios
Old 12-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Matt.Guitar

My opinion:
Buy the ab guide to music theory book 1 and start at the beginning
Once u understand everything in that book u will have a good foundation to build on.
With this foundation u will be able to make better choices as to which further topics are relevant to you continued studies
Matt.Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
guitarmodes

I agree with learning all scales, modes, how to construct chords firstly. This gives a foundation for all other lessons. Each song you learn will have relevance to the basics.

Do you know, that when you play a chord, you can start improvising from any note of that chord. This is one of the important outcomes of knowing the modes and knowing how to apply them.

Ross, Guitarmodes
guitarmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmodes
I agree with learning all scales, modes, how to construct chords firstly. This gives a foundation for all other lessons. Each song you learn will have relevance to the basics.

Do you know, that when you play a chord, you can start improvising from any note of that chord. This is one of the important outcomes of knowing the modes and knowing how to apply them.

Ross, Guitarmodes

I'm sure all here would echo this advice.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: