Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Remnest

DiMarzio Twang Kings issue....i think....

So i decided to learn how to install pick ups on a guitar myself and since i got a set of these of a mere 70 bucks and have a cheap Tele copy i can play with.

I followed the instructions to the T and everything works just fine, my issue now is that regardless of whether its the bridge, neck or both pick ups, they sounds exactly the same.

Ive taken the whole thing apart again and rechecked the wiring and all seems well to me, ive adjusted the pick up heights as well, and it all sounds the same. Doesn't bother me since the tone is quite an improvement over the stock no-name pick ups it had, its just weird that both of them sound identical.

Any ideas if this is normal for that set or if there's something inherently wrong?
Remnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnest
Any ideas if this is normal for that set or if there's something inherently wrong?

it's not normal, and you only really have two options:

1) the guitar is wired incorrectly/a component is working right or...
2) you aren't a good critical listener

it can't really be anything other than that.

the position of a pup along the length of the body heavily influences harmonic content, there is no way around that.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
steven seagull
not really a seagull

tap on the pickups with an allen key, that's a surefire way of telling whether or not that pickup is outputting when it's supposed to, or conversely not supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Remnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
tap on the pickups with an allen key, that's a surefire way of telling whether or not that pickup is outputting when it's supposed to, or conversely not supposed to.

I did perform this test and they both output when they are supposed to so at least i know they work. Worst case scenario i can redo the entire process again.

@gumbilicious,

Im very confident of my listening skills since ive been involved with musical arts from a young age, but even if i was a terrible listener my other guitar-playing friends say the same thing so i guess there is something wrong for sure.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnest
I did perform this test and they both output when they are supposed to so at least i know they work. Worst case scenario i can redo the entire process again.

@gumbilicious,

Im very confident of my listening skills since ive been involved with musical arts from a young age, but even if i was a terrible listener my other guitar-playing friends say the same thing so i guess there is something wrong for sure.

well, if you're confident in what you're hearing then it looks like we know where the problem is. luckily steven is more helpful than me and gave you a fail safe testing method to see if the wiring is really changing anything.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I haven't been awake for long enough to deal with this. The pickups are being switched on and off correctly but they sound the same? What the .... ? My brain can't process that yet. How can such things be?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

What amp do you have?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
Remnest

I own a Carvin V3MC, also put them through a JCA 20.

Ill admit that i am a total noob for this kind of work which is why i bought the cheap pick ups and used a cheap guitar so i can get my hands wet. But at this point im all sorts of confused since both pick ups output when they are meant to do so.......but the tone is literally identical....

I am absolutely baffled, truth be told i have no issues redoing the soldering from scratch but ive looked at everything i could think of and its wired the way it should....

Ive tried reading more on it and the only thing i can think of at this point is reversing the wiring for one of the pick ups and see if that could be the issue.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
Roc8995

You've checked that they only output when they're supposed to, right? As in, you've checked that the neck works when it's selected, but have you checked that the bridge doesn't? That's the only think I can think of.

I have to say, tele pickups more than any other type of set are probably the most likely to sound very similar between positions.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
Remnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
You've checked that they only output when they're supposed to, right? As in, you've checked that the neck works when it's selected, but have you checked that the bridge doesn't? That's the only think I can think of.

I have to say, tele pickups more than any other type of set are probably the most likely to sound very similar between positions.

That is correct, I made sure to select each individual one and test them as well as both together and tapped each one w an allen wrench. They basically did as they are supposed to do.

I love the tone they make as is, its a vast improvement over the stock pups. I simply dont expect them to sound the same lol. I'd like to say im not tone deaf, my whole family has been in and out of music schools since we were young. But even if i was absolutely deaf i cant say the same for my other 2 friends who basically feel the same way i do.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Roc8995

There's not exactly a lot going on electronically in a guitar, and I doubt there's anything you could do with standard wiring to make the pickups sound the same. Try adjusting the pickup heights, I guess. Sounds like there's nothing wrong with the wiring.

Rate This Thread: