Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Another kind of death metal (GP4)

So yeah, another song to critz. Main influences: Stuff, things, RedDeath
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 Another kind of death metal.gp4 (44.4 KB, 164 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

Dude I'm pretty flattered that you'd list me as an influence (especially among Stuff and Things, those are two great acts). Thanks man.

Alright, let's do this...

The first parts remind me very much of Gorod. If you haven't listened to them, I suggest you do. They're pretty great. Bar 23 especially reminds me of them. Bar 34 is a nice respite from the dissonance.

Holy crap, bar 47. Pretty sick, and that too sounds VERY much like something Gorod would do. The way the bass takes the lead, I like it.

Bar 70 onward certianly kept me guessing, and I love where it went. I personally would have done things a little differently, but it's all good. The switch to 5/8 really upped the intensity, that was very well done; however, I would have lengthened that part a little, maybe made it into more a of a build-up into the riff at 94 (which I enjoyed as well).

I notice that some of your stuff is a bit... unintentionally? dissonant. I'm not sure if it's actually unintentional, but I'd understand if you have trouble with more complex chord voicings and shit. I do as well. It's actually okay in this song, the only instance I noticed was bar 91 with the bass. That 8 on the D string doesn't sound right. Of course, if this was your intention, it's all good. There was an addition you had to the collab, though, that was sort of messy. I'm not sure I can give any advice but be a little more cautious with your voicings Overall, though, you've got awesome ideas, and I enjoy your music. I look forward to watching you improve

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
~Flounder~
Trance/Metal Synth player

Critting as I gooooooooooo

The Jazz guitar notes in the beginning are....weird? That part kinda just sticks out to me, don't really like it lol. The first 4 measures of silence would be a good spot to throw in some trippy/dissonant/weird synth pads (try fifth pad + bowed or glockenspiel for interesting stuffs). The whole verse was pretty solid overall (except for the random jazz guitar sounds lawl) and I liked how intricate it was. It seemed more like a solid monolith of pure metal riffage, as opposed to a simple riff that repeats 4 times or what have you for generic verses. 31-32 sounded very Dream-Theatery, I like it alot. However the ending at 33 was meh. I think a fun sweep or triplet run with harmonies would be more fitting. Also it would transition better into the chord part. I enjoy the chord section and think it could go on perhaps as much as twice as long (halfway through drop down a few steps and do a harmonized version or something), it seems the next verse comes too soon. The second verse seemed a little less cohesive than the first, 68-69 was blah. I think there's better was to transition. The clean guitar part that comes next is cool, however I think there should be spacing between this riff and the last, as opposed to a direct transition. Maybe fade out over a few measures or use the synths to hold a chord into the next riff?

The build up was perfect. But it didn't build up to anything You should copy 34-41 and paste them after the build up riff as sort of a reprise or (god forbid) a chorus/refrain. At least it gives the song some structure other than a mostly repeated verse. You could then at measure 42 do the same thing I mentioned earlier, play the riff "down" a few steps (if that makes any sense) for another 8 bars and then end the song. Maybe on a jazzy guitar chord with synths and drums doing sweet fills to a fade out. Very nice, I'd love to hear this recorded

c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...72#post30760772
Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Emperor's Child
Isn't It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDeath9
That 8 on the D string doesn't sound right. Of course, if this was your intention, it's all good.
Personally, I think it sounds better if you raise that G# to an A#.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Thanks so much guys, been waiting for some feedback on this forever basically I'm already in the process of recording this, got about 2/5ths of the guitar done and everything else is just programmed. Things I took into considaration though:

Now listening to moar Gorod, cuz I heard them once and forgot about them

The lead-bass bit was meant to be a little more complex on the guitar and drum side but I compared it to certain technical death metal bridges, like ones from Obscura and Cynic, and they reigned in the complexity for these moments but just let the bass fly. Kinda glad I kept it

The bridge at bar 70 was something I had hid away for a while, but never worked out properly with other songs. I think it works here, but it sounds much better in Pro Tools.

I've actually scrapped the mini-solo in the 5/8 section cuz it was very very difficult to record, did about 30 really shitty takes and it clogged up my CPU. Instead, moar synthz.

I guess I kind of have that trouble I'll have this epic chord and then find one that works perfectly next to it to achieve a good sound, but then everything that extends from that sort of falls flat and I end up with an uninteresting mess XD a lot of my music ends up like that.

I dont think I changed the bass note, it wasn't something that immidiately stood at as something that didn't work musically speaking. Might do though, to see if it keeps the flow right.

I kind of agree with bar 33, but thats only in tab form. When its finally recorded, the production and dynamic range change will really make bar 34 - 41 more weighty and jizz worthy. I didn't really want to extend 34-41 cuz it isn't my most favourite thing I've written, it was mostly as an experiment with 'suspended sounding' movements.

Bar 68-69 was something from composition lectures at uni, using diminished chords to build tension then release. It works (sort of) when I hear the low notes of the chords changing to the clean bit.

I think the version of the tab I uploaded in this is the unfinished one. Basically all I did to finish was add the half time from 58-63 then repeated the intro XD I'll add it again.

I should note that the clean guitar bit is actually just a place holder for a synth in Pro Tools using Xpand, I layered 4 different sounds together and it made this amazing wall of bubbly noises. Sort of did the same for the 'mcguffin' strings, but with a little less randomness, so the whole harmony is there.

I usually have a 4 bar blank spot infront of my tabs in case I want to record them and give myself breathing room with the metronome. In this case, I added an F# note two octaves down and gave it some cray motion synth with heavy automation that also makes an appearance in a lot of the song.

So yeah, would also like a crit when its finished XD
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 Another kind of death metal improved.gp4 (53.3 KB, 28 views)

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 12-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

Wow, it's been so long since I've posted on here. I've been busy with the magic of mathematics but I have a short break now. I heard this piece and thought it was one of the best things I've heard on here, however I do think I am capable of raising some reasonable points which you may or may not take into consideration.

Bars (34-41): To me, I think this section is begging for some arpeggios from the synths. Think Impressionist for that one. Debussy, Ravel etc, but darker. I currently use Xpand for my own recordings and I know exactly what you're talking about with the four layers and achieving massive soundscapes. It's so much fun discovering all the "colours".

Bars (70-85): It feels a little empty every second bar in here. It feels like there should be a few fills/solos from the bass here.

Bars (94-109): The same I said about Bars (34-41) apply here IMO.

The things I would like to see in your future pieces if you decide to post them is maintaining the constant abstract tonality, both dissonant and consonant that is present in this here, masterpiece of Tech-Death/Thrash. It's seriously better than 90% of Tech-Death I've ever heard, and I used to listen to a lot of Tech Death.

I may have a new piece posted on here sometime soon if I can (it will be the first I've posted here that includes keyboards). I'll let you know so I can get a crit from you.

One more thing, I am genuinely interested in hearing more from you, either GP5 or actual recordings. Please let me know via PM or something and I'll listen when I can.

Last edited by HaydenHohns : 12-20-2012 at 05:11 AM.
HaydenHohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHohns
Wow, it's been so long since I've posted on here. I've been busy with the magic of mathematics but I have a short break now. I heard this piece and thought it was one of the best things I've heard on here, however I do think I am capable of raising some reasonable points which you may or may not take into consideration.

Bars (34-41): To me, I think this section is begging for some arpeggios from the synths. Think Impressionist for that one. Debussy, Ravel etc, but darker. I currently use Xpand for my own recordings and I know exactly what you're talking about with the four layers and achieving massive soundscapes. It's so much fun discovering all the "colours".

Bars (70-85): It feels a little empty every second bar in here. It feels like there should be a few fills/solos from the bass here.

Bars (94-109): The same I said about Bars (34-41) apply here IMO.

The things I would like to see in your future pieces if you decide to post them is maintaining the constant abstract tonality, both dissonant and consonant that is present in this here, masterpiece of Tech-Death/Thrash. It's seriously better than 90% of Tech-Death I've ever heard, and I used to listen to a lot of Tech Death.

I may have a new piece posted on here sometime soon if I can (it will be the first I've posted here that includes keyboards). I'll let you know so I can get a crit from you.

One more thing, I am genuinely interested in hearing more from you, either GP5 or actual recordings. Please let me know via PM or something and I'll listen when I can.

I shall do, and many thanks for the crit never had so much praise before

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Rossielle

wow, interesting . a kind of progressive death metal?))) or some tech influences?)) i enjoye a lot the clean parts. with real instruments it will sound awesome.your riffs are really groovy man )) ad some eerie parts with the synth and you will have a kinda of epic prog death ahahaha)

p.s. the bass guitar it is very good greetings!

p.p.s also the drums )))
Rossielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Actually I did record it Rosielle want to re-do it cuz the mix and guitar tone's a bit naff, but still, here https://soundcloud.com/joe-bloggz-quigs/due-process

Quote:
Eip pls

Rate This Thread: