Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Would you bow to royalty
Yes 55 27.23%
No 147 72.77%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 12-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #41
Eastwinn
pulling empty hall alarms
 
Eastwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Just for fun and as a sign of respect. I assume it would be rude for me not to in the scenario that I'm before royalty. I wouldn't mean anything by it, but it'd be fun to play along.


this. there are more important things to rebel against.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #42
Thrashtastic15
Season Ticket Holder
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Club Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
I understand you're point, but i have to disagree.
It's the same as when black people had to refer to whites during segregation as "Sir" and "Ma'am" even if they were children and the blacks fully grown (Racial Ediquette).

Well at least we've found a positive aspect of racism. That's very polite.

Are you saying you would never refer to someone as "sir" or "ma'am" because that puts you unjustly below them? How ridiculous. Do you refuse to apologize to people as well because you concede some sort of power or authority to them by admitting wrongdoing? That you would never say "sorry" even if you didn't necessarily believe that what you did was wrong? There are these things called "manners" and conducting yourself as a considerate and civil human. We have customs and ways in which we put each other at ease and communicate a certain level of respect and compassion for each other.

I don't really understand why some people seem to put such emphasis and distinction on royal bashing. As far as I'm aware they haven't done anything particularly heinous in their lives and have actually done quite a bit of good through charity and helping to generate money for the state. Considering leftists so often put incredible emphasis on judgement of individuals solely through their own actions (and rightly so I might add), I find it quite strange how when it comes to the royal family the opposite seems to occur. Because of past perceived injustices, the current existing royal family gets a pretty shitty rep considering what their actions have been in their lives with what they have been blessed with.

When it comes down to it, realistically observing their customs to the best of your ability is nothing more than a sign of respect in our modern society. I see no reason to communicate disrespect. Maybe I'm odd for showing respect towards people until they give reason to conduct myself otherwise towards them. I'm happy being odd in that case.
__________________
Huberdeau Barkov Ekblad
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #43
Bair
UG Fanatic
 
Bair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London Ontario
What do the british monarchy DO again?
__________________
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #44
ESPLTDV401DX
Registered User
 
ESPLTDV401DX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Island of the Misfit Boy
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Just for fun and as a sign of respect. I assume it would be rude for me not to in the scenario that I'm before royalty. I wouldn't mean anything by it, but it'd be fun to play along.

And this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
Are you saying you would never refer to someone as "sir" or "ma'am" because that puts you unjustly below them? How ridiculous. Do you refuse to apologize to people as well because you concede some sort of power or authority to them by admitting wrongdoing? That you would never say "sorry" even if you didn't necessarily believe that what you did was wrong? There are these things called "manners" and conducting yourself as a considerate and civil human. We have customs and ways in which we put each other at ease and communicate a certain level of respect and compassion for each other.

I don't really understand why some people seem to put such emphasis and distinction on royal bashing. As far as I'm aware they haven't done anything particularly heinous in their lives and have actually done quite a bit of good through charity and helping to generate money for the state. Considering leftists so often put incredible emphasis on judgement of individuals solely through their own actions (and rightly so I might add), I find it quite strange how when it comes to the royal family the opposite seems to occur. Because of past perceived injustices, the current existing royal family gets a pretty shitty rep considering what their actions have been in their lives with what they have been blessed with.

When it comes down to it, realistically observing their customs to the best of your ability is nothing more than a sign of respect in our modern society. I see no reason to communicate disrespect. Maybe I'm odd for showing respect towards people until they give reason to conduct myself otherwise towards them. I'm happy being odd in that case.
ESPLTDV401DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #45
Tsar66
untitled
 
Tsar66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bair
What do the british monarchy DO again?


nothing really
__________________
tumblr.
Last.fm
Tsar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #46
Eastwinn
pulling empty hall alarms
 
Eastwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bair
What do the british monarchy DO again?


they create a persona for the UK that makes their tourism industry explode
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #47
accadacca97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
There's a fair bit of straw man fallacies here. If anyone hasn't heard of it I'd suggest looking into it, interesting if nothin else
accadacca97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #48
zgr0826
UG's Cowardly Bassist
 
zgr0826's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Land of Milk and Honeys
Quote:
Originally Posted by accadacca97
There's a fair bit of straw man fallacies here. If anyone hasn't heard of it I'd suggest looking into it, interesting if nothin else


Oh man, you're too smart for the rest of us unenlightened individuals who are still stuck in a Pre-Socratic time.
__________________
I Like St. Anger, So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDayHappy
I love my gays man, but a child could be buying that whopper. It just makes for a very awkward situation in the mini van when the father is talking to his son.

ayy lmao
zgr0826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #49
Nameless742
UG Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
I'm Scottish. What do you think?
__________________
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Nameless742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #50
Aralingh
Intelligent person
 
Aralingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
"Oh look, the ancestors of those people used to oppress our ancestors, let's respect them!"
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #51
Alpha_Wolf
HR
 
Alpha_Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
no because im a 15 year old pitmonkey and im hardcroe as fvck, im a nonconformistnist
and i wear anarchy bracelets from hottopic
__________________


In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Alpha_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #52
Jackal58
Pit Daddy
 
Jackal58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: If I was up your ass you'd know it.
No.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Jackal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #53
accadacca97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgr0826
Oh man, you're too smart for the rest of us unenlightened individuals who are still stuck in a Pre-Socratic time.

Jesus, calm down, just thought people would find it interesting
accadacca97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #54
captainsnazz
#coldcum
 
captainsnazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: yorkshire
Nah, I've got pretty bad backache right now.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #55
Zox
Dwarf Shortage
 
Zox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sweden
No.
__________________
|(_o)/
Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #56
stonyman65
Unregistered User
 
stonyman65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jacksonville FL.
No way in hell.

What gives them the right to rule over anyone else? Because they where born to a specific family?

I can understand if they where elected by their peers, but then they wouldn't be royalty, they'd be elected officials.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #57
Fat Lard
XxTeatotaleRxX
 
Fat Lard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fl
If it was the Dalai Lama or someone sure. I'm sure as shit not bowing to redcoats though.
__________________
.
Fat Lard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #58
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian
 
TheChaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
No, cuz I'm an American.

Nah, but really I probably wouldn't even think of it if the situation came up. If I met one of them I'd probably just treat them like anyone else.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #59
Stugg334
Bristolian
 
Stugg334's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bristol, UK
Yeah, I would, because I don't care enough to rebel against it. Save the controversy for the important stuff.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Stugg334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #60
cornmancer
Thou mayest
 
cornmancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO
Given the choice between bowing and dungeon, I choose bow.
__________________
Goin' 90 I ain't scary
Long as I got the Virgin Mary
Assurin' me
That I won't go to hell.
cornmancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.