View Poll Results: Would you bow to royalty
Yes 55 27.23%
No 147 72.77%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #61
Butt Rayge
UG Resident

Clicked yes by accident, damn it.

No I would not. There's no chance I'm ever going to encounter royalty and if I ever do I'm probably not going to give a shit.
Butt Rayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #62
AcousticMetal99
A walking oxymoron

I would.

I respect the British Royal Family. They do a lot of good work - events, charity work, supporting good causes, bringing in a great deal of revenue form tourism. Moreover, they add an air which so many countries are just lacking. I like having a Royal Family.
Look at Prince Charles - he does so much work, raises a lot of money himself, supports green energies and sustainability.
Sorry, but how many businessmen/women do you see who put in as much time and effort as these guys? Honestly, no one can accuse them of having easy, laid-back lives. They are constantly in the press, they always have to be careful of what they are saying and/or doing, they have so many events - if you have ever watched or heard anything about them, you would know - they sometimes have multiple events on a single day, and they attend those 300+ days of the year.
Also agree with Thrashtastic.

Now, to a little rebuttal. To those who claim is is "debasing" or shows you consider yourself a lesser human, I completely refuse that. I consider myself intellectually every bit as good as them. Nonetheless, I respect them, and the traditions (yes, I appreciate traditions), and the fact that is is simply the well-mannered thing to do. People these days seem to treat manners as something for stupid people or old-fashioned idiots. I dislike these sorts of people.

As to those who say "your ancestor enslaved mine, so now I'll bow down to you... not" - really? Are you that primitive and inane? Seriously? Please, grow up. I think you will find that the majority of royals (if you trace back the family trees) did not enslave others at all. Admittedly, they fought wars, but they were people on both sides. That's not slavery. That's how the world worked.
Furthermore, if you had bothered to look back at history, you would find that in many societies the tribal chieftains and leaders, who would later be known as Kings and Queens, were chosen either democratically, or because of their inherent leadership skills.

As a final point, I would add that the Royals generally have an air of ... "breeding"... which is clearly lacking in so many people. They are far more eloquent and polite and with better manners than so many people in the world. So, actually, perhaps if you don't want them to be above you (and you're just jealous and bitter because they are), so should try to make yourself a better person, rather than pulling down those who are.
AcousticMetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #63
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Because my wife and her family are English, yes I would show the proper respect to English royalty. Otherwise, no, because they aren't MY royalty, however I would still be very polite and use my honorifics.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #64
Tw1tch001

I would just bow out of respect. Like shaking someone's hand when meeting them.
Tw1tch001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #65
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Sure because idgaf

+1

Seriously, I don't care.

It's just a social custom in some places and it wouldn't hurt me. Big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
"Oh look, the ancestors of those people used to oppress our ancestors, let's respect them!"

Jesus Christ. You're so ****ing angsty

Last edited by WCPhils : 12-17-2012 at 06:07 PM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #66
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
Hell yeah I'm a loyal subject to her majesty.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #67
bradulator
through being cool

haha limeys
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #68
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Yes, but I'd look her in the eye while I do it, so she knows an ass-kicking is coming her way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMetal99
I would.

I respect the British Royal Family. They do a lot of good work - events, charity work, supporting good causes, bringing in a great deal of revenue form tourism. Moreover, they add an air which so many countries are just lacking. I like having a Royal Family.
Look at Prince Charles - he does so much work, raises a lot of money himself, supports green energies and sustainability.
Sorry, but how many businessmen/women do you see who put in as much time and effort as these guys? Honestly, no one can accuse them of having easy, laid-back lives. They are constantly in the press, they always have to be careful of what they are saying and/or doing, they have so many events - if you have ever watched or heard anything about them, you would know - they sometimes have multiple events on a single day, and they attend those 300+ days of the year.
Also agree with Thrashtastic.

Now, to a little rebuttal. To those who claim is is "debasing" or shows you consider yourself a lesser human, I completely refuse that. I consider myself intellectually every bit as good as them. Nonetheless, I respect them, and the traditions (yes, I appreciate traditions), and the fact that is is simply the well-mannered thing to do. People these days seem to treat manners as something for stupid people or old-fashioned idiots. I dislike these sorts of people.

As to those who say "your ancestor enslaved mine, so now I'll bow down to you... not" - really? Are you that primitive and inane? Seriously? Please, grow up. I think you will find that the majority of royals (if you trace back the family trees) did not enslave others at all. Admittedly, they fought wars, but they were people on both sides. That's not slavery. That's how the world worked.
Furthermore, if you had bothered to look back at history, you would find that in many societies the tribal chieftains and leaders, who would later be known as Kings and Queens, were chosen either democratically, or because of their inherent leadership skills.

As a final point, I would add that the Royals generally have an air of ... "breeding"... which is clearly lacking in so many people. They are far more eloquent and polite and with better manners than so many people in the world. So, actually, perhaps if you don't want them to be above you (and you're just jealous and bitter because they are), so should try to make yourself a better person, rather than pulling down those who are.

haha this pleb

Last edited by StewieSwan : 12-17-2012 at 06:16 PM.
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #69
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Yes, but I'd look her in the eye while I do it, so she knows an ass-kicking is coming her way.

kinky
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #70
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

To be honest if the situation actually arose I imagine I would do so out of embarrassment/not knowing what to do, but ideally no I think it's ridiculous.

Royals are ridiculous and I'm not accepting the superiority of someone over me who has done nothing but being born.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #71
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Probably just out of tradition. There's not really any point trying to be all contrarian to the Queen, it's not like she gives a ****.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #72
Grif22
Mmm Tlock Tlock Mm Boutou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugg334
Yeah, I would, because I don't care enough to rebel against it. Save the controversy for the important stuff.

This.
Plus if it's some sort of formal meeting, you'd look like a tool if you stay standing while everyone else is bowing.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #73
MakinLattes
fully retractable

I wouldn't know how to properly act so I'd probably just shake their hand and hope I wasn't reinforcing structural misogyny.
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #74
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Everything but the dip I would do, unless she dipped her head as well

wow, how insecure are you man. Who gives a fuck? Honestly.

dipping your head to the Queen is hardly conceding that you're an inadequate human being, in fact refusing too is probably a better indicator of that. I don't like the idea of royalty either but again, who really cares about a little bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
they create a persona for the UK that makes their tourism industry explode

this, plus a bit extra actually, kind of interesting

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12

Last edited by Diamond Dave : 12-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #75
Iced Earth9
Blindly following?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
Hell yeah I'm a loyal subject to her majesty.

Mother****ing conservative bitch, get out of my country.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #76
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Wolf
no because im a 15 year old pitmonkey and im hardcroe as fvck, im a nonconformistnist
and i wear anarchy bracelets from hottopic

You think like a child.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #77
Thrashtastic15
panthers season tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Earth9
Mother****ing conservative bitch, get out of my country.

Idiot incapable of comprehending sarcasm, off yourself and spare us of your stupidity.

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
9 - 8 - 2
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #78
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
+1

Seriously, I don't care.

It's just a social custom in some places and it wouldn't hurt me. Big deal

Jesus Christ. You're so ****ing angsty

Do explain where my logic is flawed.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #79
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
They're not my monarchs, so no.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #80
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
They're not my monarchs, so no.

One letter away from serfdom -> won't bow to the monarch.

Rate This Thread: