Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
swiftvision

Just Inherited Fender/Gibson Collection … Value?

Well, my talented uncle passed away recently and left me with quite the collection I believe.

I am currently just a newbie self teaching myself to play the acoustic guitar. While I have a few "non amplified" versions, these electric guitars, and Fenders in particular are completely foreign to me.

I hope it’s ok to post this, esp. for a newb but I could use some help with learning what these guitars are and ultimately what they need to be insured for.

I have done some research online and using the serial numbers tracked down some info:

#1 Fender Telecaster N3 932233 Corona Plant (Fender), USA 1993-1994.

#2 Fender Jazzmaster L35196, Fullerton Plant (Fender - Pre CBS Era), USA 1964

#3 Fender Jazzmaster T021355, Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan, 1994-1995.

#4 Fender Jazzmaster CN608579 White ?Fender custom shop or Korea factory?

#5 Fender Jaguar MZ8049457 Ensenada Plant (Fender), Mexico 2008-2009

#6 Gretsch Chet Atkins (No Serial Number)

#7 Gibson 01510398 Nashville Plant, TN, USA May 31st, 2000

#8 Gibson 81202537 Nashville Plant, TN, USA April 30th, 1982

Thanks for any help you guys can give!
swiftvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Well I cant give you too much help but, sorry about your loss, and two, damn. Im jealous of your new collection!

You got some money here for sure. The most expensive probably being the Pre CBS Jazzmaster.

The SG is around 1k.
Same for the Tele.
The Japanese Jazzmaster is probably around $450. That would be higher end.
The Mexican Jag you could probably get $400 high end. Maybe a little more. maybe less.
Id ask $1500 for the ES.
The Gretsch, and the Pre CBS Jazzmaster are the big bucks. Probably a couple grand at least for both.

High end is around $3500 for the Jazzmaster I believe. Probably can get 2k for the Gretsch.

These are all rough guesses though
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Jyrgen
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
Well I cant give you too much help but, sorry about your loss, and two, damn. Im jealous of your new collection!

You got some money here for sure. The most expensive probably being the Pre CBS Jazzmaster.

The SG is around 1k.
Same for the Tele.
The Japanese Jazzmaster is probably around $450. That would be higher end.
The Mexican Jag you could probably get $400 high end. Maybe a little more. maybe less.
Id ask $1500 for the ES.
The Gretsch, and the Pre CBS Jazzmaster are the big bucks. Probably a couple grand at least for both.

High end is around $3500 for the Jazzmaster I believe. Probably can get 2k for the Gretsch.

These are all rough guesses though

I agree

Really nice collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
swiftvision

Are the Bigsby additions factory installed?
swiftvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
BlackIce87

I'll give you 1k for that SG all day long. In reality, with the maestro, i'd say it's worth 2k or so. Depends on the model.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
BlackIce87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Yea I didnt think about the maestro. Definitely ups the value. Most standards dont have them.

As for the bigsbys, probably. The Gretsch, yea. The ES? Most likely, but its possible it is after market. You can contact gibson with the serial number and find out for sure
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

You can't get things like this valued accurately online. You simply can't. You can get a rough idea of the value of the 2000s, and an even rougher idea of the value of the 90s ones, online, but the 80s and 60s ones need to be taken to a proper dealer to evaluate, and they'll be able to give you an accurate estimation for the more modern ones at the same time, too. Not taking them to be properly evaluated is doing a disservice to them.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
dannyalcatraz

Sorry for your loss.

That is quite the collection, though- you must have been a favorite. Instead of venturing a guess, I'll just say this: I've been involved with collectibles for decades, and if you're interested in selling, a charitable donation or even just an approximate value for insurance purposes, ask around and find a reputable instrument appraiser. It will be worth the cost to find out exactly what your collection's value is.

There are books for that kind of thing, but unless you're already somewhat knowledgeable about the object being appraised, subtle differences in type and quality can mean the difference between trash and treasure trove.

Edit: ninja'd by a penguin handpuppet.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-19-2012 at 06:00 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: