Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
RajjaJroach

Arrow Minimalist Guitar music??

Hello

I want to learn a minimalist guitar piece for a recital coming up, And I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or pieces they could recommend to me. Anything, and by any composers would be great!
I really like Electric counterpoint by Reich, but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions people had

Thank you

Last edited by RajjaJroach : 12-18-2012 at 03:45 PM.
RajjaJroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
JimmyCraig
Dazed and Confounded

What genre?
JimmyCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
RajjaJroach

Well Minimalism, so I guess anything thing by composers such as Steve Reich, Philip Glass, Terry Riley etc
Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
RajjaJroach

Like the 'New York Hypnotic School' that sort of stuff, as in the movement in music..
Old 12-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Maybe something by Rhys Chatham?

CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
RajjaJroach

Thanks, but I don't think that's really Minimalist as such, I mean like, minimalist music, as in the movement in 'classical' music during the 80s
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Have you thought about transcriptions of piano music?
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajjaJroach
Thanks, but I don't think that's really Minimalist as such, I mean like, minimalist music, as in the movement in 'classical' music during the 80s

He's a minimalist and "avant-garde" composer, and that's not his only piece. Maybe not the type of minimalism you're looking for, but that one song is not necessarily representative of all of his work. Was just a sample (which happens to be my favorite by him, so far... maybe I haven't explored his music enough). Just thought of his name because he's a known minimalist composer and conveniently uses the guitar a lot.

If you liked it somewhat, check more of his stuff out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhys_Chatham
His Crimson Grail concert is really good (imo, anyway), too. Maybe something else fits the type of minimalism you're looking for?

edit: if it doesn't work for you, do what jrf suggested. Maybe look first if there's already a transcription for guitar of the piece in question, though.

Last edited by CryogenicHusk : 12-18-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
RajjaJroach

Yes, perhaps, I do play piano as well, but I wanted to have a guitar part of the recital also, and do something like Electric counterpoint. Looking to keep my options open really.

Also it would be tricky to transcribe as piano is written on too staves, my brain would ache a little
Old 12-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
RajjaJroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
He's a minimalist and "avant-garde" composer, and that's not his only piece. Maybe not the type of minimalism you're looking for, but that one song is not necessarily representative of all of his work. Was just a sample (which happens to be my favorite by him, so far... maybe I haven't explored his music enough). Just thought of his name because he's a known minimalist composer and conveniently uses the guitar a lot.

If you liked it somewhat, check more of his stuff out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhys_Chatham
His Crimson Grail concert is really good (imo, anyway), too. Maybe something else fits the type of minimalism you're looking for?

If not, then go ahead disregard all of his music. Doesn't affect me

Thanks, I will check it out Well that's just based on what you posted, because I don't think that particular piece is minimalist, at least not in a strict sense of the word, But I shall look into his work
Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Thanks, I will check it out Well that's just based on what you posted, because I don't think that particular piece is minimalist, at least not in a strict sense of the word, But I shall look into his work

Yeah I edited my post because I realized maybe you're looking for a specific sound he doesn't have (again, maybe he does... I haven't listened to ALL of his works to tell you for sure, and I don't want to pretend I have). Max Richter and John Cage are other possible names that come to mind. You can look into their work too.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
RajjaJroach

Yeah I think I will, do you have any suggestions on where to look, in terms of web sites? As I've never really had to search for guitar sheet music before, only piano
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
Banjocal
moosick

So glad others know about Chatham. One of the only drone composers I can find that utilizes a classical influence. Sunn O)))'s Agartha is very minimal, and for something lighter Asva do some. Ore do drone on tubas, so there's that option.

edit; oh, classical. you wont find much minimal classical. chathams CG is about as close as it gets unless you go into the memory banks of experts

Last edited by Banjocal : 12-18-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Yeah I think I will, do you have any suggestions on where to look, in terms of web sites? As I've never really had to search for guitar sheet music before, only piano

Can't say I've found a reliable source, sorry. If it's not in one of my books, I try to look it up online and there's usually blogs that post sheet music for classical and popular works. If that fails, I'm on the same boat... I'm thinking about subscribing to one of the paid sites, but not sure which one has the widest selection of both classical and popular (ranging from old nursery rhymes and xmas carols and regional folk to bebop and swing, etc). Hopefully somebody has a suggestion.

edit: Forgot to mention Moondog , especially his early work. Click on the link for a video of someone playing one of his songs on guitar.

Last edited by CryogenicHusk : 12-18-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
RajjaJroach

Okay thanks guys, and yeah, I'll see if there's anything that anyones posted, maybe off youtube??
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Okay thanks guys, and yeah, I'll see if there's anything that anyones posted, maybe off youtube??

Forgot to mention Moondog. Click on the name for a youtube video of someone playing one of his songs on guitar. Hopefully that helps.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
91RG350

Minimalist. The Ramones. Blitzkreig Bop.

Hey ho. lets go!
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: