Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
JJlespaul
Banned

Why I'm returning my new Gibson les Paul studio

I got a brand new Gibson LP studio 50 tribute humbucker from Thomann and I'm about to send it back. Severely disappointed at gibsons workmanship as this is my first Gibson, and I'll neer buy one again. The guitar was made this year in June, so it's not old, and was also not a display model.

Firstly, and the main problem, the fret buzz. Almost every note on the 3rd 4th 5th and 6th buzzes crazily. I've tried changing the strings, and I can't spend even more money on it being set up, yet I doubt this will fix the problem as the only guitar shop in my country is utter unreliable crap. Plus I can't get a refund if it's been set up.

The fret work is shoddy also. Very ruff edges which I have actually cut myself on.

The 3rd and 4th string REFUSE to stay in tune. Literally I tried playing at band practice and halfway through every song I had to pause and retune, like I said I'm appalled at this.. My epiphone plays better.

Lastly, the paintwork is badly done. It's a goldtop, and where the edges of the paint meet the rest of the guitar (ie the body joint) its very sloppily done. This is purely cosmetic yet for 550 it should not be there.

Simply put, terrible. Gibson, I dont know how this horrendous piece of wood slipped through your quality control line but it's certainly the last time I wasted hard earned money on your expensive paperweights.
JJlespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

that sucks

fwiw buzz can be caused by an incorrectly-set trussrod (though i agree with you, if attempting to change that or letting someone else change it will void your warranty, then DON'T DO IT ). But the rest of the problems sound not too great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
that sucks

fwiw buzz can be caused by an incorrectly-set trussrod (though i agree with you, if attempting to change that or letting someone else change it will void your warranty, then DON'T DO IT ). But the rest of the problems sound not too great.

It really sucks man, I mean I spend a lot of money on products and they end up being horrible, like I bought a new cab last year and it had horrible rattle and I wasn't allowed to return it, so 400 wasted

And that's exactly the problem, I can get it set up professionally (which frankly I shouldn't have to pay for with the outrageous price of gibsons) yet the problem could still be there and I'm left with a useless guitar that I can send back. Seriously made me consider giving up guitar
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah don't give up guitar (unless you want to and it's unrelated to this run of bad luck, of course)- sometimes you get some bad luck. I've had a run of bad luck with stuff being faulty recently too, and it's annoying, but i wouldn't let it make you give up.

that sucks about the cab too, why weren't you allowed to return it?

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
ah don't give up guitar (unless you want to and it's unrelated to this run of bad luck, of course)- sometimes you get some bad luck. I've had a run of bad luck with stuff being faulty recently too, and it's annoying, but i wouldn't let it make you give up.

that sucks about the cab too, why weren't you allowed to return it?

I would prefer just to stop playing because it's extremely costly, I'm the type of person that will literally not stop until they have amazing gear/sound and I'll have wasted so much money on it. If I sold all my gear I would have a lot of money too, I could buy a new car which is really need.

I couldn't return it because apparently it was classed as "used" as soon as I plugged my guitar into at home (I have to order all equipment online because there's no good music stores in my country). It seems like companies are just out to scam people. Which I guess all companies essentially are, but with some you get what you pay for, unlike my experience with gibson
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Matt.Guitar

That sucks dude.
I've never played a les paul that I've liked but that's probably my issue and not Gibsons because most people seem to love them!

I bought a musicman online that had a faulty pickup selector and a below average maple top (looks-wise)
That's the risk when buying online - the dealer can send you a bit of a lemon....
Matt.Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Honestly, i wouldn't say to never buy another Gibson again. You can't just pass off a whole guitar company as being shit just because of 1 guitar.

Are you sure you actually played the guitar before you bought it? I'm not trying to sound like an asshole or anything, but guitars are not consistently made as is the nature of guitars themselves. If you didn't try it before buying it, then you know what to do next time.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-17-2012 at 06:11 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJlespaul
I would prefer just to stop playing because it's extremely costly, I'm the type of person that will literally not stop until they have amazing gear/sound and I'll have wasted so much money on it. If I sold all my gear I would have a lot of money too, I could buy a new car which is really need.

I couldn't return it because apparently it was classed as "used" as soon as I plugged my guitar into at home (I have to order all equipment online because there's no good music stores in my country). It seems like companies are just out to scam people. Which I guess all companies essentially are, but with some you get what you pay for, unlike my experience with gibson

ah yeah i can appreciate that, it can get costly for sure.

if the thing was actually faulty the shop should have taken it back. I don't know what country you're in, but certainly within the EU, that's the law. You have certain rights as a consumer.

Quote:

Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

What Dave said. Don't give up mate.

I mean I have put an Unreasobable amount of money into gear as I am sure most of this forum will hear witness to, in the search for the perfect tone. It's just easier to find something acceptable. It sounds like you need to try and find enjoyment in what your playing and not necessarily the tone coming from your gear.

Regarding the Gibson QC, if you liked the spec of the guitar ask for an exchange, make note of the serial number though, and get it replaced. They are solid guitars when you get a good one. Also there is no way Thomann would ever know if you have a guitar setup independently before you return it. I mean, how could they tell? They will have never even handled your guitar outside of its shipping container.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Sucks to hear that, honestly.

I haven't had one single problem with my LP Studio and I love it (maybe even to death).
But I didn't buy it online, which might be a factor here. I know thomann handles they're stuff well (it's very recommended and really reliable), but I'd never buy a guitar online. Never. As Matt.Guitar stated, they can send lemons.

With a Gibson at that price point, I'm horrified to even think about that the guitar might have never been touched after the delivery from Gibson to Thomann and that might cause some trouble that isn't really Gibson's fault, aside from the paintwork. I know, it is expensive from a customer's point of view, but looking at all the Gibson guitars that they offer, even only Les Paul models, you're on the budget line. But I have to believe that the guitar was well-set at the factory, because the store near me has a similar price range Gibson (the gold top with P90s) and it's an excellent guitar.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Also there is no way Thomann would ever know if you have a guitar setup independently before you return it. I mean, how could they tell? They will have never even handled your guitar outside of its shipping container.

This ^

As for the finish issues though, there is no excuse. Especially from a company that prices their instruments as if they were made of gold....
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

To be fair the Studio Tributes are not "expensive" guitars so its slightly more excusable.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
JJlespaul
Banned

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Firstly, I couldn't try before I buy. I bought it from a German company and I live in northern Ireland. There are no good guitar shops at all in my country, there's 1 that stocks good guitars but it's outrageously priced, and I once left a guitar in there to be set up and they failed miserably. I really have no other option than buying online, unless I buy a used guitar, which opens up a whole load of other possible problems

I get what you guys mean about getting it set up, but the only shop within driving distance (still takes like 3 hours) is the aforementioned expensive shop that can't even set up a guitar, so I would never do business with them again on a morale and practical basis.

I really do enjoy what I play, I still get goosebumps playing some songs but things like this happening just really destroy my will and passion to even pick up my guitar. It's like I just really give up. Nothing seems to ever go right, I've had faulty gear loads of times which I haven't been able to return, but hopefully thomann will refund me for the guitar as its all got original packaging etc.

Like I've tried raising the bridge changing strings etc. everything short of a truss rod adjustment, which to be fair shouldn't be required on a 6 month old guitar that has been safely tucked away in its case. Basically what I'm saying is its unnecessary hassle which I should not have to do, considering the money I've spent (albeit on an "entry" Gibson) but its made in the Nashville plant and hence the standard of quality should be the same between it and a 3000 reissue.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
To be fair the Studio Tributes are not "expensive" guitars so its slightly more excusable.

They are supposed to be cheaper because of the stripped down nature, not because of shoddy workmanship....

As for the "expensive" Gibsons, 50% of the price is just that logo on the headstock anyways.....
Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Firstly, I couldn't try before I buy.

There's your problem. I know that trying guitars before buying them isn't possible in your case, but it's always better to do so whenever possible.
Quote:
I get what you guys mean about getting it set up, but the only shop within driving distance (still takes like 3 hours) is the aforementioned expensive shop that can't even set up a guitar, so I would never do business with them again on a morale and practical basis.

Learn how to set guitars up yourself. It makes no sense to give money to someone to set up a guitar for you in a way you don't even like (because everyone likes their guitars set up differently) when you can easily do it yourself for free.
Quote:
Like I've tried raising the bridge changing strings etc. everything short of a truss rod adjustment, which to be fair shouldn't be required on a 6 month old guitar that has been safely tucked away in its case.

It doesn't work like that. Guitars periodically need to be adjusted, especially at the truss rod, no matter how well they're kept. Adjusting the truss rod is likely to resolve your fret buzz issues, especially as you're saying that the problems are occurring at the first 5 frets. That immediately indicates that your truss rod it too tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culler Amps
They are supposed to be cheaper because of the stripped down nature, not because of shoddy workmanship....

As for the "expensive" Gibsons, 50% of the price is just that logo on the headstock anyways.....

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-17-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
but its made in the Nashville plant and hence the standard of quality should be the same between it and a 3000 reissue.

After watching several videos of the Gibson factory, you should know that this is really not true. While you'd really want that and I would too, I have to admit that the standard quality of Studio line compared to Standard line isn't the same. Though, all the LP Studios that I've played have been great. Although they're the "real" LP Studios, that run for around 1200 euros here in Finland brand new. The inexpensive Gibson guitars are meant to be built and shipped far much quicker than the expensive, but great re-issues and the kind. If I ever get to try a Custom, let alone buy one, I am sure I can tell the difference with that and a Standard with anything from acoustic sound to the feel of the guitar without plugging it in.

To note, I am not a Gibson fanboy. I just use one because the neck of the Gibson LP Studio fits my hand far much better than anything else I've tried. I've gone through Mayones, Schecter, Jackson, ESP, ESP-LTD, Ibanez, Dean, Hamer and Fender (not that I've owned all of them, just tried for a very long time, maybe even upsetting the store clerks around Finland). Though I have to admit, Mayones would be the very close second. They're excellent custom guitars and they're very inexpensive compared to what you get. Just stating that here.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Last edited by Sakke : 12-17-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
There's your problem. I know that trying guitars before buying them isn't possible in your case, but it's always better to do so whenever possible.

Learn how to set guitars up yourself. It makes no sense to give money to someone to set up a guitar for you in a way you don't even like (because everyone likes their guitars set up differently) when you can easily do it yourself for free.

It doesn't work like that. Guitars periodically need to be adjusted, especially at the truss rod, no matter how well they're kept. Adjusting the truss rod is likely to resolve your fret buzz issues, especially as you're saying that the problems are occurring at the first 5 frets. That immediately indicates that your truss rod it too tight.

Im afraid to give the neck some relief incase I somehow mess up, (I'm very accident prone) and I can't send the guitar back for a refund, if adjusting the truss rod doesn't work
Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
JJlespaul
Banned

I would also just like to note that the buzz happens all over the neck, excluding the 1st and 2nd string. For example, there will be as much buzz from playing an e power chord at the 12th fret as there will be playing an f on the first.

Also the problem is just as severe when playing single notes, incase I made you think otherwise with my example. I think I'll give the truss rod adjustment a go tomorrow, how much do you recommend I turn it?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

People are far too scared of truss rods. So long as you don't go mental with them, you're never going to do any harm.

Back off the truss rod in 1/4 turn increments by turning the truss rod anti-clockwise. Leave the guitar for 20 mins every 1/4 turn and see if that makes a difference.

(・ω・`)
Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

Where about's in NI are you? Im in Bangor.. sucks about the guitar. I ordered an amp from thomann but everything went well and i really cant complain about it.
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: