Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #21
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i hear you about northern ireland. i'm in NI too. FWIW, any of my dealings with thomann have generally been pretty good. it's entirely probable that they'll sort you out.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

just because the guitar is also made in nashville doesn't mean that it's going to be the same level as a reissue.

the custom shop is an entirely different department.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.bark
Where about's in NI are you? Im in Bangor.. sucks about the guitar. I ordered an amp from thomann but everything went well and i really cant complain about it.

I'm from Antrim. Funny enough I bought an amp from someone in bangor
JJlespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

I have a tribute 60 LP studio (with p90s though) and I had a few problems with it as well. The frets, while not being as annoying as yours, aren't particularly perfectly filed, and I have a stain in my finish. I also have some weird finishing near the edges (but it's meant to be this way, it's supposed to make it look slightly relic'd). No fret buzz, however, but I did set it up and take my time doing so.

Frankly, for the price, there are a lot of better guitars indeed. However, the neck just feels so good it compensates in my opinion. I actually forked out 2k last friday, waiting for a Les Paul Traditional, just because I know it'll feel unique based on my experience with the studio. Is there no way you could learn adjusting it yourself to your liking? Then you'll be even more proud of yourself =)
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #25
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJlespaul
Like I've tried raising the bridge changing strings etc. everything short of a truss rod adjustment, which to be fair shouldn't be required on a 6 month old guitar that has been safely tucked away in its case. Basically what I'm saying is its unnecessary hassle which I should not have to do, considering the money I've spent (albeit on an "entry" Gibson) but its made in the Nashville plant and hence the standard of quality should be the same between it and a 3000 reissue.

Yes it should.

The extremes of conditions its been through, it would actually be a miracle if it didnt need a tweak.

Learn to work on your guitars yourself, its a very rewarding skill, I love working on mine.

I dont mean to be rude, but you need to sort of man up a bit, shit happens and things arent always perfect but you need to get over the idea that its all aimed at you and you alone. You have every right to return the guitar even if you tweak the hit out of it, your a part of the EU and if its not fit for purpose in your opinion then Thomann have to accept it back thanks to distance selling laws in place to protect you.

So have a tweak of the truss rod, get a bit of relief on there and see how it feels.

you need to be realistic a 649 Studio will not be on par with the Standards or Trads, but they are a solid base to work with considering its still a MIA guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70

Last edited by Tom 1.0 : 12-17-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #26
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
People are far too scared of truss rods. So long as you don't go mental with them, you're never going to do any harm.

Back off the truss rod in 1/4 turn increments by turning the truss rod anti-clockwise. Leave the guitar for 20 mins every 1/4 turn and see if that makes a difference.

Is this with the guitars front facing towards you or away from you?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #27
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Yes it should.

The extremes of conditions its based through, it would actually be a miracle if it didnt need a tweak.

It's only been in a case for 6 months?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

especially if it's been in a case for six months.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #29
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
I have a tribute 60 LP studio (with p90s though) and I had a few problems with it as well. The frets, while not being as annoying as yours, aren't particularly perfectly filed, and I have a stain in my finish. I also have some weird finishing near the edges (but it's meant to be this way, it's supposed to make it look slightly relic'd). No fret buzz, however, but I did set it up and take my time doing so.

Frankly, for the price, there are a lot of better guitars indeed. However, the neck just feels so good it compensates in my opinion. I actually forked out 2k last friday, waiting for a Les Paul Traditional, just because I know it'll feel unique based on my experience with the studio. Is there no way you could learn adjusting it yourself to your liking? Then you'll be even more proud of yourself =)

I've tried adjusting my epiphone when I first got it myself and it was an extreme pain. No matter what I did withthe saddles the intonation was always off. Ended up having to replace the saddle as there was a faulty little secure wire that was causing rattling issues too. Never mind the fret buzz I ended up sending it to England to get a proper set up from a proper guitar store, costing over 100, which I dare not pay again

I'm going to try adjusting the truss rod myself though, if it doesn't completely cure the buzz the guitar will be going straight back to thomann
Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #30
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
It's only been in a case for 6 months?

Temperature and weather changes affect wood. Unless you have a climate controlled case, it isn't going to be immune to such things.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #31
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
especially if it's been in a case for six months.

Well you learn something new every day
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #32
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Is this with the guitars front facing towards you or away from you?

Facing looking down the headstock. In other words, rotate the wrench towards the treble strings of the guitar to loosen the truss rod and towards the bass strings to tighten it.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-17-2012 at 08:46 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

1/4 turn at a time (or less), wait a day it's easy to get the relief perfect
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #34
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Yes it should.

The extremes of conditions its been through, it would actually be a miracle if it didnt need a tweak.

Learn to work on your guitars yourself, its a very rewarding skill, I love working on mine.

I dont mean to be rude, but you need to sort of man up a bit, shit happens and things arent always perfect but you need to get over the idea that its all aimed at you and you alone. You have every right to return the guitar even if you tweak the hit out of it, your a part of the EU and if its not fit for purpose in your opinion then Thomann have to accept it back thanks to distance selling laws in place to protect you.

So have a tweak of the truss rod, get a bit of relief on there and see how it feels.

you need to be realistic a 649 Studio will not be on par with the Standards or Trads, but they are a solid base to work with considering its still a MIA guitar.

the odds are the guitar was bagged and boxed and shipped to the retailer through very different conditions, potentially freezing cold temperature to room temperature in another warehouse and the cool down from there and all the weather changed getting delivered. i grew up in MN (US) and it has sup-zero temps up there now.

wood expands and contracts, things move, it gets jarred around a ton and it is going to need a setup. period. whether it be gibson, fender or ibanez.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #35
JJlespaul
Banned

So I need to loosen the truss rod and give the neck some relief, there's already a slight bow (not a back bow) so how do I know once I've loosened it enough, once the buzz goes away?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #36
gerrywm

Quote:
I'm from Antrim. Funny enough I bought an amp from someone in bangor

Get a bus to Dublin, Some neck guitars and music maker stock real quality gear.... Waltons are the main importer of Gibsons in the country and supply the rest of the shops and keep most of the good stuff for them selfs......

Also, Adverts.ie is excellent source of quality used gear, I got my Gibson 2nd hand off it and its a champ, plenty of sellers on the site from Ulster so you might not have to travel and you could save a bunch....

If you do return the guitar and get your money there are other avenues on this Island for getting very decent gear.... Good luck!
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #37
gerrywm

Quote:
So I need to loosen the truss rod and give the neck some relief, there's already a slight bow (not a back bow) so how do I know once I've loosened it enough, once the buzz goes away?

Do not go at the neck of a gibson unless you know what you are doing - sage advice I got for my local friendly guitar maker who preferred doing it for me for free than see me wreck my guitar....
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)

Last edited by gerrywm : 12-18-2012 at 05:43 AM.
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #38
JJlespaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywm
Do not go at the neck of a gibson unless you know what you are doing - sage advice I got for my local friendly guitar maker who preferred doing it for me for free than see me wreck my guitar....

Firstly, I'm not travelling 2 and a half hours on a train four times to leave my guitar to get fixed then coming back, then going again to get it and coming back.

And there arent any component techs in within driving distance that I know of never mind in my local area. Our country has one main music store and it's utter shit

I'll try and adjust the rod myself when I get home from work, If that doesn't cure the problem, I'll send the guitar back get a refund and sell all my gear and give up guitar. I've tried everything short of adjusting the rod
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #39
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

You're in NI. That means you're in the UK. That means www.DV247.com and www.pmtonline.co.uk will ship to you. They also price match. They price matched my new LP Traditional to 1200 the other day from 1700, and it's Europe wide, so they'll price match to Thommann great prices.

I get everything from PMT and it's always excellent. I'm sure if you called the Southend, which I think is their main store they'd pick out the best one for you if you ask them to make sure that it's not got any issues like poor fret work etc. Also, they include a setup in the price so you can ask then to look at the frets and set the action how you want it.

Send the Studio back to Thomanns, get your money back, call PMT get a nice guitar.

My LP Studio faded was great quality. Also the neck felt great. But the Traditional is a different level completely. Still, I wouldn't expect the quality you're speaking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-18-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #40
JJlespaul
Banned

So for fixing the fret buzz, should I try raising the bridge first, or loosening the truss? I've been reading about both for a few hours so I'm fairly confident doing each

Rate This Thread: