Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #81
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
i thought matchetts did a pretty decent setup on my rg. granted that was ages back.

there's that guy peter griffin (yes i know ) who (from what i her) is in music matters (lisburn) occasionally. he's an actual luthier, and he did a really good fret crown for me. and his guitars are good too. I'm guessing he could do a setup.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #82
JJlespaul
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i thought matchetts did a pretty decent setup on my rg. granted that was ages back.

there's that guy peter griffin (yes i know ) who (from what i her) is in music matters (lisburn) occasionally. he's an actual luthier, and he did a really good fret crown for me. and his guitars are good too. I'm guessing he could do a setup.


Really man don't ever go near them again. They basically ruined my Epi (this was last year) before an amazing friend of mine salvaged it. Seriously I did a better set up on this shitty les Paul I'm sending back lol they're very overpriced and they have conned a few people I know, any time I've been there they've also always been completely rude, just because I was kind of young they automatically assumed I was there to just mess around.

Haha I'm going to sound like an idiot ringing up music matters asking for Peter griffin! But that's the only actual luthier I have heard of in northern Ireland, and that shops only like 25mins from me so I'm definitely checking that out to see if he can do set ups. Thanks mann
JJlespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #83
gerrywm
Registered User
 
gerrywm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJlespaul
To be honest I don't know what to do. I can order a guitar from England, where I can get it set up but I can't try it out. I can get one from Dublin and try it out but the travel will take at least 4 hours total. Or I can get one ordered in locally, where I can try it out AND get it set up, but I can't send it back if I don't like it.

So confused..


It aint easy man, I spent 6 months trying to find one that suited me, drove all over Ireland and got a the train to Dublin and Cork but eventually found my Gibson below in Carlow of all places.....Totally worth it, I will never sell it, its brilliant...see my thread on it if you like....Moral is, dont panic buy hold tough and get the guitar you really want

Some cool 2nd stuff floating about too and not too far from you, some traditional s going for nothing in Dublin too...
http://www.adverts.ie/electric-guit...sunrise/2418397
That s the red version of my guitar great value for money when you convert to

http://www.adverts.ie/electric-guit...l-model/2091363
Way better than any studio I have ever played.....

If you do decide to go to Dublin I am living there now and would show you around to the different shops....any excuse to go guitar shopping!!!
__________________
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #84
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJlespaul
Really man don't ever go near them again. They basically ruined my Epi (this was last year) before an amazing friend of mine salvaged it. Seriously I did a better set up on this shitty les Paul I'm sending back lol they're very overpriced and they have conned a few people I know, any time I've been there they've also always been completely rude, just because I was kind of young they automatically assumed I was there to just mess around.

Haha I'm going to sound like an idiot ringing up music matters asking for Peter griffin! But that's the only actual luthier I have heard of in northern Ireland, and that shops only like 25mins from me so I'm definitely checking that out to see if he can do set ups. Thanks mann


he might go by "pete" rather than "peter".

http://forum.musicradar.com/showthr...tech-good-work! there's a thread about him on music radar.

that sucks about matchetts, by the way. It does seem to be a sort of jekyll and hyde kind of shop. I sort of only started playing when i was about 18, so i didn't really get the "being messed around because i'm young" thing (though for the first year or two, maybe), but then when i got old enough not to look like a kid i always thought they were pretty good.

But obviously if they ripped you then avoid them, lol.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.



Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-18-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #85
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Well, I know of good shops in the UK who will give you a good guitar, that have the Studio that you want and will set it up and fret polish it etc and then ship it to you. I can PM you some details if you want.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #86
JJlespaul
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
he might go by "pete" rather than "peter".

http://forum.musicradar.com/showthr...tech-good-work! there's a thread about him on music radar.

that sucks about matchetts, by the way. It does seem to be a sort of jekyll and hyde kind of shop. I sort of only started playing when i was about 18, so i didn't really get the "being messed around because i'm young" thing (though for the first year or two, maybe), but then when i got old enough not to look like a kid i always thought they were pretty good.

But obviously if they ripped you then avoid them, lol.


I'm gonna check that article out now, hope he still does servicing

And yeh just watch out with them dude, I only use them for buying strings because it's free p&p
JJlespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #87
JJlespaul
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Well, I know of good shops in the UK who will give you a good guitar, that have the Studio that you want and will set it up and fret polish it etc and then ship it to you. I can PM you some details if you want.


That would be awesome man thanks, I think andertons would be very reliable too
JJlespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #88
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alberta, Canada
Hey come on, except for the finish complaints none of the issues are QC related.
This guitar has travelled halfway across the world, exposed to who knows what temp, humidity and altitude changes. Anyone expecting a non-plastic coated guitar to do this and be the same (set up) as it left the factory is either inexperienced or ?.
The fret sprout comes from the shrinkage of the fretboard due to the differences in the environment from where it was made in a climate controlled facility.
The fret buzz is probably due to the neck relief changing as well for the same reasons.
The tuning stability can be several factors.....old strings (I trust you didn't just keep the factory strings on??!!!) They could be poorly wound on the posts, the posts could be loose due to wood shrinkage and the nuts that clamp the tuners down loose as well. You should also lube a Les Paul nut, the 17 degree pitch on the headstock adds more resistance to the string as it travels through the nut.
Again any finish quality issues are QC but to be honest the studio models are their cheapest LPs and some corners are cut.
__________________
Moving on.....

Last edited by KenG : 12-18-2012 at 08:36 PM.
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #89
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJlespaul
I'm gonna check that article out now, hope he still does servicing

And yeh just watch out with them dude, I only use them for buying strings because it's free p&p


thanks

i imagine he still does it. that thread was only made in the last couple of days.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #90
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJlespaul
True. Although I tried doing countless things to cure the buzz but to no avail

Temp + humidity are not an excuse for strings not staying in tune, fretwork that actually cut me and a shoddy paint job though


i cut my hand on a $950 ibanez premium after it was unboxed while i was at GC. gibson isn't the only company that will have an issue here or there.

i had one jackson that i ordered (i don't really count owning it) it was brand new and half of the neck had dead frets and then i figured out the neck was warped. sent it back right away, got a steeper discount on the same guitar, and that one was much better both playing, smooth and sounded great.

some guitars from whatever company are going to be put for sale with issues.

and in your situation the weather and shipping was more of a factor than QC with the scratch you have (which i don't recall seeing pics of) being the only problem with gibson.
__________________
5f1 parts coming around the 11/11/14

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #91
JJlespaul
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i cut my hand on a $950 ibanez premium after it was unboxed while i was at GC. gibson isn't the only company that will have an issue here or there.

i had one jackson that i ordered (i don't really count owning it) it was brand new and half of the neck had dead frets and then i figured out the neck was warped. sent it back right away, got a steeper discount on the same guitar, and that one was much better both playing, smooth and sounded great.

some guitars from whatever company are going to be put for sale with issues.

and in your situation the weather and shipping was more of a factor than QC with the scratch you have (which i don't recall seeing pics of) being the only problem with gibson.


Understand what your saying man, but in my position I can't try before I buy so I'm always running the risk of buying one the guitar companies put on sale with issues. And since I'm sending it back I didn't see the point in posting pics, I felt its more important to get my full 529 back (I had to post it ASAP a my 30 day warranty was running out) rather than documenting the guitars flaws.

Ah well, guess j'll have to save for a 2013 studio. Im selling a fender mustang III, line 6 spider II, half of fame reverb, takimine gs330s all with original boxes in great condition. Will give free pedal board if you buy any of those things. Just pm me with an offer, I can ship took
JJlespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #92
Supernaut2k
Blackmore Worshipper
 
Supernaut2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bath, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
The problem with Gibson (and it's also true with MIA Fenders) is that since a lot of the processes used to make those guitars are largely done by hand, so you will get a lot of variance between guitars of the same model. But that also becomes and advantage because if you go to a shop and try before you buy, you can find a Gibson that fits you absolutely perfectly.



Too much of a simplification, I'd guarantee the problems are 90% quality control and work ethic.

Supernaut2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #93
JJlespaul
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
So.. I'll save for a 2013 studio. Anyone have opinions on em?
JJlespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #94
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
They're solid guitars.

You can try before you buy, you just need to raise your determination by a day and 100 or so.

I have faith, you can do it!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #95
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut2k
Too much of a simplification, I'd guarantee the problems are 90% quality control and work ethic.


It's true that guitars are all hand-made, but how hand-made is where the differences lie. Gibsons are clearly more hand-made then some cheap strat copy from China. That video is overgeneralizing the affair.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bonta
If you want to follow your gut, you must first acquire a gut.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-19-2012 at 12:48 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #96
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
if you buy a guitar built before the mass use of CNC machines you get about as close as you ever will to a 100% hand made guitar.







TS - i saw you are saving for a 2013 Gibson LP studio.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #97
JJlespaul
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
They're solid guitars.

You can try before you buy, you just need to raise your determination by a day and 100 or so.

I have faith, you can do it!


Thanks man, once I get some of this gear I don't use shifted I'll be pretty close to the budget. I also get a bonus of around 100 soon from work so it's a start
JJlespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #98
JJlespaul
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
if you buy a guitar built before the mass use of CNC machines you get about as close as you ever will to a 100% hand made guitar.







TS - i saw you are saving for a 2013 Gibson LP studio.


Saving is a kind term - I prefer frantically-selling-everything-I-don't-need-for-money but yes once I have the money I'll order one from andertons, but this time I'll get them to set it up for me first. I like the pickups it has, it's basically the same as the one i sent back, but it has coil tapping and a nitro finish I think 375 to go!
JJlespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #99
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd
 
MegadethFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut2k
Too much of a simplification, I'd guarantee the problems are 90% quality control and work ethic.



They are hand assembled (or built as this guy put it) but the CNC machines get the wood to the stage where a person can "build" it into a guitar. It makes no sense to have a machine assemble them. Measuring a neck pocket and cutting it in the right place to the right dimensions, depth and is some cases angle is difficult, which is why a machine does it. Putting a machine head into a hole that a computerized machine drilled is not difficult, which is why people do it.

I don't get why people think machines are bad when it comes to making guitars, they are very accurate, consistent and save a lot of time. Even "handmade" stuff is at some degree made with the aid form machines, for example using a machine made neck pocket template.

Last edited by MegadethFan18 : 12-19-2012 at 02:36 PM.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #100
lfcagger
twat
 
lfcagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
he might go by "pete" rather than "peter".

http://forum.musicradar.com/showthr...tech-good-work! there's a thread about him on music radar.

that sucks about matchetts, by the way. It does seem to be a sort of jekyll and hyde kind of shop. I sort of only started playing when i was about 18, so i didn't really get the "being messed around because i'm young" thing (though for the first year or two, maybe), but then when i got old enough not to look like a kid i always thought they were pretty good.

But obviously if they ripped you then avoid them, lol.

i know pete, he did a great job stoning and polishing the frets on my ibanez a while back. He's a good guy and if you still want it done, get him to do it.

Also, I know for a fact machett's have one of those LP Studio 50s guitars in store; or they did when I was in a couple of weeks ago
__________________
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
lfcagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.