Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
n3wb1e

Need recommendation for first acoustic guitar

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here, so hopefully I'm asking this in the right forum! If not, feel free to move it, moderators!

I've always wanted to play the guitar but never had the opportunity to take lessons. I've recently decided that I'm going to learn on my own and so I need to buy a guitar. I'm not interested in the electric guitar, only acoustic. This might be a bad decision, but I'd kind of rather buy from an online retailer such as Amazon as opposed to a guitar store, mainly because I know absolutely nothing about guitars and want to make sure I get a good one (also because Amazon is fantastic about returns..). My budget is $500 max, but the cheaper the better. I'm a guy, 6', with long arms, so I probably need a fairly large guitar.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks
n3wb1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wb1e
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here, so hopefully I'm asking this in the right forum! If not, feel free to move it, moderators!)

You're in the wrong forum. You should ask here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...isplay.php?f=27

Also, welcome to UG.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
whoomit

yup, wrong forum

if you get a chance then you should try out a vintage v300

fantastic guitars for the price
Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat

what you really need is a new amp

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
stepchildusmc

forget the idiots..you knocked on the right door. welcome to the beginning of your guitar life newb. first things first... did you read the sticky at the top of the page about how to buy a guitar? it's an excellent guide as to what to look for. i do disagree with you about online stores. if you aren't sure what your looking for, only an experienced salesperson can effectively help you( keyword is "experienced") if you have a friend that plays guitar, you should take them shopping with you( actually, for you)
with the budget that you have in mind you should easily find something that will last you years of playing time before needing an upgrade. there are so many variables in purchasing a new guitar... cutaway/non-cutaway( really handy if it has one) music style preferred, geographic location.... very long list.
most here will tell you to buy what they have first and another choice as a second. from what i see, usually the Seagull S6 or Yamaha's FG series is everyone's second( which actually should make them first).
i do hope you stick with it, its very frustrating for the first few weeks but don't worry about having to ingest it all in at once...we have our own language so to speak and it looks intimidating from the outside... ever meet someone that learned to speak fluent russian in a month?
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: