Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
*.*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Not to be redundant...but best acoustic-electric around $500?

When I first joined the boards I played bass. After a year I picked up an Ibanez acoustic guitar and actually played it more than the bass. I quit playing for a few years because of 68 hour work weeks + full time online student, and in the process of taking a History of Rock class that has made me decide to start playing again.

So basically, I'm looking for a decent acoustic-electric guitar around $500 that would be good to practice and take with me at parties to play(and let others play). I've been reading a lot on it, and most seem to pick the same guitar(or at least have it in the top 5 discussion) but figured I'd get more opinions here.

I'll be playing rock.
*.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
arunawayslave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Fender CD220CE, highly recommended. It's $399 new, and its a great guitar.
__________________
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w
arunawayslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
 
patticake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Right under the Hollywood sign
these are all solid tops. i avoid laminate tops except for beaters.

more bass and martiny sound than others in this price range
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...0ce/52948/53455

good quality, nice tone.
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.co...electric-guitar

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.co...electric-guitar
although if you could find a sale or B stock original s6 acoustic electric, that would probably be better.

if you could go up a few bucks, i'd recommend trying this one as it's all solid rather than solid top, and yes, that does make a difference
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.co...518106000091631
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
*.*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
these are all solid tops. i avoid laminate tops except for beaters.

more bass and martiny sound than others in this price range
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...0ce/52948/53455

good quality, nice tone.
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.co...electric-guitar

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.co...electric-guitar
although if you could find a sale or B stock original s6 acoustic electric, that would probably be better.

if you could go up a few bucks, i'd recommend trying this one as it's all solid rather than solid top, and yes, that does make a difference
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.co...518106000091631


Epiphone has been the main brand I've been looking at. I've been really considering their hummingbird which is only about $300. I've heard great things about it, and the other $200 or so could go towards the main guitar I'll be getting in a few months.
*.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
 
patticake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Right under the Hollywood sign
except for the masterbilt line, i avoid epiphones. the ones i've tried don't have the level of tone or of quality control or hardcore quality that yamaha, seagull and blueridge have to offer. i have also read a lot of positive things about the epi hummingbird, but then if you read reviews of the worst guitars out there - which i'm not saying the eh is - you'll also see loads of positive comments.

if it were me, i'd probably buy an all solid blueridge and use a soundhole pickup till i could afford a k&k pure western mini or something of that type. failing that, i'dstick with the ones i listed above or the masterbilt line - gc and mf will probably have another sale for fathers day, so you can get probably one in store for a price you can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *.*
Epiphone has been the main brand I've been looking at. I've been really considering their hummingbird which is only about $300. I've heard great things about it, and the other $200 or so could go towards the main guitar I'll be getting in a few months.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!

Last edited by patticake : 06-09-2011 at 05:29 PM.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
*.*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
except for the masterbilt line, i avoid epiphones. the ones i've tried don't have the level of tone or of quality control or hardcore quality that yamaha, seagull and blueridge have to offer. i have also read a lot of positive things about the epi hummingbird, but then if you read reviews of the worst guitars out there - which i'm not saying the eh is - you'll also see loads of positive comments.

if it were me, i'd probably buy an all solid blueridge and use a soundhole pickup till i could afford a k&k pure western mini or something of that type. failing that, i'dstick with the ones i listed above or the masterbilt line - gc and mf will probably have another sale for fathers day, so you can get probably one in store for a price you can afford.


Well I'm not looking for a guitar to use until I can buy a top quality one. In a week I will be doing a huge work project that will require 2 months of 68 hour weeks and I'll be coming home with 7 grand or so. I just figured $500 would be a price I'd be willing to pay for a guitar that would give good quality but not freak out if it gets damaged. I'm mostly going to be taking it to parties, where we sit out late at night, make a fire, get drunk, have a good time, and play some music.

I never have really been a fan of Yamaha, but never had anything against them. I also noticed Seagull's do have a lot of top sellers for guitars under $500 on MF.com.
*.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
GorillaBreath
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by *.*
I'm mostly going to be taking it to parties, where we sit out late at night, make a fire, get drunk, have a good time, and play some music.

you might as well just get an all laminate guitar if you are going to get drunk and play the guitar LOL
GorillaBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
1500 meanstreak
Registered User
 
1500 meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I have two Epi Masterbilts, the AJ-500M and the DR-500M. Both are totally awesome guitars. I put L.R. Baggs pickups in both (element in the AJ, iBeam in the DR) and they easily sound 90% as good as their Gibson couterparts at about 30% of the price.

If you have the $500 forget the Hummingbird and go with the Masterbilt for sure. I also have an Epi H-bird, it's a 1994 Korean made model, the new ones are not nearly as good. If you are stuck on a Hummingbird I'd say get the $249 Hummingbird Artist, still a solid top and I think they sound better than the regular H-bird.

If you'd like some pics of my guits let me know!
__________________
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and Facebook
1500 meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
*.*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 meanstreak
I have two Epi Masterbilts, the AJ-500M and the DR-500M. Both are totally awesome guitars. I put L.R. Baggs pickups in both (element in the AJ, iBeam in the DR) and they easily sound 90% as good as their Gibson couterparts at about 30% of the price.

If you have the $500 forget the Hummingbird and go with the Masterbilt for sure. I also have an Epi H-bird, it's a 1994 Korean made model, the new ones are not nearly as good. If you are stuck on a Hummingbird I'd say get the $249 Hummingbird Artist, still a solid top and I think they sound better than the regular H-bird.

If you'd like some pics of my guits let me know!


Thanks the the post man. All opinions/information is appreciated.

I will check into those guitars. And pictures are always a good thing!
*.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Jirud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Here is 10 of the best greatest acoustic electric guitars under $500 for everyone who are looking for a top acoustic electric guitar under $500.

Cordoba C5-CE Acoustic Electric Classical Guitar
Price: $399.99 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Epiphone PR-4E Acoustic-Electric Guitar Player Pack
Price: $199.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Fender T-BUCKET-300CE Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar
Price: $188.12 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Takamine G Series EG340SC Dreadnought Acoustic Electric Guitar, Natural
Price: $342.02 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Seagull Entourage Rustic CW QIT Acoustic-Electric Guitar Rustic
Price: $499.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Jasmine by Takamine ES33C Acoustic Guitar Pack
Price: $188.12 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Luna Oracle Acoustic-Electric Guitar, Crane
Price: $349.00 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Yamaha APX500 Acoustic Electric Guitar, Oriental Blue Burst
Price: $299.99 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Jasmine by Takamine ES31C Acoustic Electric Guitar
Price: $159.95 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Ovation Celebrity CC28 Acoustic-electric Guitar, Black
Price: $316.17 & ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

You can see and listen to the guitar sound examples at http://acousticelectricguitarz.com/...tars-under-500/

That's a bunch of good options for you. Hope it helps. Good luck!
Jirud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.