Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
cob666hc
Metal is 'til death

Jackson or Ibanez

Okay, so I'm looking for a new guitar, and I've narrowed it down to two options:

Jackson DKXT
or
Ibanez RGD321
(Also quite like the ESP Horizon NT-2, however is quite expensive)
Budget of about $1500

I play metal, mostly Death and Thrash. I have no desire for nice cleans and will most likely be replacing the pickups on either option anyway.

As I'm not the most informed when it comes to what makes a guitar I thought this would be the best place to come for some quality opinions.

Please offer reasons for your opinions

Cheers

Last edited by cob666hc : 12-17-2012 at 09:54 PM.
cob666hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
ChrisBlock

I'd personally say Ibanez, i own a very low-end model and the neck feels way better than a more expensive jackson ! The stock pickups are half decent and the price is surprising.
Fender Am. Std. Tele
Guild D-6
Amps :
EVH 5150III/Matching cab
ChrisBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
ryan_nadon
ass brain

I'd go with the Ibanez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
ryan_nadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
Sparky-MMA
UG's Ginger

i've had a mid level ibanez and a mid level jackson, the ibanez is a lot more comfortable to play, ibanez's when you get the feel for them feel like a guitar should, like an extension of you, jacksons feel a little bulky and a little cumbersome to play, at least to me they do, to some people its the other way round, the best thing to do is to play them both and see which you prefer.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
thewoodsterix

Ibanez for sure. They sure know how to make their necks!
thewoodsterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
halfj06

I've owned a ibanez s470 and an art300..I've also had midlevel jackson dinky and id say the jackson just overall felt like it was built to last longer.. the fretwork, the neck pocket was much tighter.. the licenced trem vs ibanez's trem. The pickups sounded better and to me the compound radius jackson neck was easier to play on then the wizard was, but that's subjective

Last edited by halfj06 : 12-17-2012 at 11:10 PM.
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
Alucard817

Only way you're gonna know which to get is to play them. There are a lot of Ibanez fans here who will say to get the ibby, and there are Jackson fans who will say to get a Jackson.

Hell some will even tell you to get something else.

Most of what you want to know will only come to light once you pick those beasts up and play the crap out of them.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Well, the RGD has a longer scale, if you're okay with that... I love it on my 7, personally, and my Jackson is lovely. It's great.

But it really comes down to if you want the longer scale length. Some people claim to not be able to play the longer scale. I adjusted easily, but I'm a fast learner. Also, the AANJ on the Ibanez is comfy as hell. It makes me look at block bolt-ons and cringe.

So if you're fine with the 26.5" scale, get the RGD. If not, look at another Ibanez or get the Jackson
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
cob666hc
Metal is 'til death

Thanks for all the help guys!

At the moment I'm definitely leaning toward the Ibanez

Quote:
Well, the RGD has a longer scale, if you're okay with that... I love it on my 7, personally, and my Jackson is lovely. It's great.
Yeah I'd like the extended scale! I play in mainley D or C standard.

Quote:
Only way you're gonna know which to get is to play them.
Yeah, I agree fully, however, It would be hard to get my hands on them. I'd have to get them ordered in at the guitar shop and they'd want a deposit to do that.

Quote:
the licenced trem vs ibanez's trem
Both of these guitars are string thru models. I have a FR on my Schecter and I'm not really a fan, I do agree though, I prefer real FR's to Ibanez's Edge.
cob666hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

I'm a big fan of Jackson's, but i'd get the Ibanez in your case.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i had two jacksons, then i bought two ibbys, then sold the jacksons (thinning heard, i sold probably around 15 guitars that winter). i have nothing against jackson, i just didn't need them and the ibbys suited me better.

they are both nice, two ibanez prestiges and the jacksons were MIJ as well, but were cheaper models.

either way both companies make a nice guitar. MIJ FTW.

ESP makes a nice guitar, but i would never buy an LTD. i have only played one or two ESP's but i loved them. i had an EC400 EC1000 and EC401. the 400 was on par with the 1000, just less bling, the 401 was shit. they switched facilities for the 401 and whoever built the 401 must of had brain damage. but IMO LTD's aren't that great. ESP's are nice though.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
Offworld92
One among the fence.

All the longer scale means is that you can use thinner strings to get the same amount of tension with other scales. My EC-1000 is in C standard, and it has a short scale (24.75"). I just use 12-60s on it. My H-301 is in D standard & Drop C, I use 11-56 on it. A 26.5" scale would probably let me use 11-56 for C standard. Just so you get an idea of how the scale lengths affect tension.

Anyway, you don't really seem to know exactly what you're looking for... Considering you're looking at guitars with different scales. if you answer these questions here, we'll be able to give you suggestions that really suit your needs. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1497696

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
resum

I had an >1200 Ibanez Prestige and a Jackson DKMGT.
I prefered the Jackson way more.

Just that you see that it's all about personal preference.
You really have to try both guitars if it's porssible.
resum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
t1mman

The main reason Ibanez players like ibanez is because the neck is slimmer than most others out there. It's realy a matter of taste in the end, so the only real recommendation would be to try em out and see if you are a lover of the slim neck.

Then you'll be able to see if you fit as a "slim lover" or not.

I, for one, as gone trough a series of brands and tested a lot of guitars, I do prefer ibanez.
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman
The main reason Ibanez players like ibanez is because the neck is slimmer than most others out there. It's realy a matter of taste in the end, so the only real recommendation would be to try em out and see if you are a lover of the slim neck.

Then you'll be able to see if you fit as a "slim lover" or not.

I, for one, as gone trough a series of brands and tested a lot of guitars, I do prefer ibanez.

there is a lot more to it than a thin neck. the prestige series guitars are some of the best made guitars within a few hundred of its price range. they make high quality instruments.

yes the slim neck may not be comfortable for some, i didn't like it at first, but you get used to it. i have never gotten a hand cramp or anything ridiculous, you just adapt.

if you don't want to adapt, buy something else.

everybody should be able to play any properly set up guitar fine. i play on a 50's style gibson neck half the time, and the wizard prestige necks are just as comfortable. just gotta to get used to it.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #16
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Jackson necks are pretty damn slim. The neck on my DKMG is damn near the same size at my RG770DX. The RG might be a thinner, but just slightly. Personally, I think Jackson and Ibanez have some of the best necks out there. You can't go wrong with either one if you like thin necks.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
t1mman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
there is a lot more to it than a thin neck. the prestige series guitars are some of the best made guitars within a few hundred of its price range. they make high quality instruments.

yes the slim neck may not be comfortable for some, i didn't like it at first, but you get used to it. i have never gotten a hand cramp or anything ridiculous, you just adapt.

if you don't want to adapt, buy something else.

everybody should be able to play any properly set up guitar fine. i play on a 50's style gibson neck half the time, and the wizard prestige necks are just as comfortable. just gotta to get used to it.

I'm not saying it's the only reason to buy an Ibanez, I'm saying it's the main difference (I have concluded) that put them apparts from others.

I'm not saying if you like the slim Ibanez Profile, you won't be able to play anything else, I'm saying you might fit in this category.

I might be an exception, I don't know (but I don't think so), but I tryed a lot of instrument of a lot of range, I always felt "meh!" on many brands, but I always enjoy a slim Ibanez neck when I get my hands on one.

Even when I tried the Ibanez SA, I was "left on my apetite", and when I looked her up, I realised that the neck was thicker than most of the Ibanez...

Anyway, my recommendation still stand, get to try them before, it's a matter of how you feel the instrument in your hands.
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

If you're a serious shredder, go for an Ibanez. But me, as a rhythm player, I'm planning on getting a Jackson.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #19
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
If you're a serious shredder, go for an Ibanez. But me, as a rhythm player, I'm planning on getting a Jackson.

what are you basing that on?

either guitar would be fine at both, i have seen shredders on jacksons too.

i saw a shredder on a jackson and a MIJ strat tonight at the bar i was at, great technique (although not my style) thankfully he was just the first hour i don't care for full on shredd.

i sold my jacksons and kept my ibanezes, i am sure i will get another jackson if a soloist pops up at the right place and time, but probably another prestige as well, as i want one guitar with a good trem to drop-tune.

ymmv

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #20
Offworld92
One among the fence.

There is no such thing as a neck that is good or bad for anything. The best neck for you is the neck that fits most comfortably in your hand. Some people shred best on Ibanez, some people shred best on Gibson. It's asinine to recommend a brand based on a playstyle. End of story, no discussion.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: