Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i hate doing these. used cheap amp

i always am amp shopping, but its different this time.

i am sick of hauling around heavy and nicer gear everywhere i go. i hauled my probably 80lb musicman with other gear up three flights of stairs twice in the last week. or i haul my 18 watt and an orange 2x12. i am mic'd probably over 75% of the time.

i will be getting a Bogner Red Pedal and want a good platform to use it on. i also want the amp to sound good without it thouogh, as i would use it for other things.

i know they are only 30 watts, but how would a peavy classic 30 be at gigging volumes with a distortion pedal over it? i could just bring a different amp to un mic'd shows, which would solve most of the time. and places that are un mic'd are all ground level so it wouldn't

i don't want a VK. and can't think of any other options. i have heard the pedal on a twin in some videos, but not on a classic 30. i have played them, just not in the last few years.

i plan to do some modding and i have read that there are quite a few mods you can do to the classic 30, which i would probably do.

i DO NOT want anything solid state, modeling or anything bigger than a 1x12" i want something i could throw in the air and catch. a hybrid may work, it just depends, but i doubt it.

another thing is that why i don't like bringing some higher end gear is that at some point in the last month somebody was stabbed while a friend's band was playing i played there there one of the following weeks. so i would think that there may be higher threat of gear theft.

does any of this make sense? or have i drank too much?

inb4 klon. but i do want a clone...
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

What you need is a new guitar.

Free bump. Never played a classic 30.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
What you need is a new guitar.

Free bump. Never played a classic 30.

got plenty of them.

but i plan on picking up three this upcoming year (cheap gibson SG, Gibson V of some sort, and a Ibanez prestige for drop tuning thinking maybe C# std./drop B..

i need a few more so i can run different tunings.

after that if i buy one guitar i will sell one. i will have reached my limit. i would be at 24 with five being classicals, so 19 electrics.

how have you not ever played a classic 30? they are everywhere, like a disease.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 12-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Yeah the Classic 30 would be fine. Perhaps a DSL401 instead? I'd take the DSL401 any day. I can talk you through fixing the heat problem if you are unlucky enough to get one of the dodgey ones. It aint hard, you'd manage it ok.
A DSL401 with the right rectifier will slay a Classic 30 in every way. And of course it's a Marshall, not a shitty Peavey.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Yeah the Classic 30 would be fine. Perhaps a DSL401 instead? I'd take the DSL401 any day. I can talk you through fixing the heat problem if you are unlucky enough to get one of the dodgey ones. It aint hard, you'd manage it ok.
A DSL401 with the right rectifier will slay a Classic 30 in every way. And of course it's a Marshall, not a shitty Peavey.

what is the heat problem on the marshall? how would i know which ones are dodgey.

i am having a hard time getting a good clip for the DSL401 clean, do you know of any more 'true' sounding demos?

how do i know it has the right rectifier?

i don't have any experience with marshall other than clones i have built. i don't think i have ever tried a DSL. i have played a JCM800 and JCM900 but nothing after that.

sorry don't mean to be so clueless, again not really experienced with marshall.

how would it do with the bogner red pedal?
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 12-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
gumbilicious
beginner

i just have a 1x12 cabinet i bring around. it is convenient because i have a number of heads to use it with.

i also have a handful of smaller combos (2 supros, a silvertone, a fender princeton II, music man 115-65). i just waited around til i saw something cool, didn't really go after a particular amp so much.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i just have a 1x12 cabinet i bring around. it is convenient because i have a number of heads to use it with.

i also have a handful of smaller combos (2 supros, a silvertone, a fender princeton II, music man 115-65). i just waited around til i saw something cool, didn't really go after a particular amp so much.

yea i have two cabs that are built, i just need to finish the wood (black stain and oil). i built them pretty big though, one will get a 12" the other a 15" haven't decided on open backed or closed back.

i have two odd hybrid ampeg amps that are really cool, i haven't ever heard anything on the internet about them and i can't find the model name, and the cleans are fantastic, as well as the reverb. only question is that neither don't seem to like OD's, although i never have tried 'distortion' on them. i think one was 80 that i talked down to like $30 because he didn't have the footswitch. the other may have been $40 or $50.

i am really pushing for something that is simple, cheap, and reliable to use pretty much exclusively for light transport hopefully under 50lbs and the pedal. i really want it to take the pedal really well and sound well for use without the pedal.

what does the MM 115-65 sound like? 15" speaker i assume? i am still in love with my HD212 130.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 12-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
what is the heat problem on the marshall? how would i know which ones are dodgey.

i am having a hard time getting a good clip for the DSL401 clean, do you know of any more 'true' sounding demos?

how do i know it has the right rectifier?

i don't have any experience with marshall other than clones i have built. i don't think i have ever tried a DSL. i have played a JCM800 and JCM900 but nothing after that.

sorry don't mean to be so clueless, again not really experienced with marshall.

how would it do with the bogner red pedal?

I think it was revision 2 but that may have been the 50/100 versions. They had too small a rectifier and it overheated. Don't worry about it. If you buy one I can tell you what to look for and how to fix it when the time comes. It isn't a deal breaker, you just have to replace it if you are unlucky enough to score the wrong one. Most of them are fine. Would cost maybe $5 anyway. It's just a bridge and a heatsink. No big deal, you can solder.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Im with cath on this one. A DSL401 sounds great. The JCM DSLs have fantastic cleans for a marshall. Plus, with a good overdrive, you really wont need a Bogner pedal unless your looking for dimed Mesa Rectifier sounds. The DSL401 with an overdrive can get pretty heavy. A buddy of mine had one in an 80s cover band. I believe he has some demos of it clean. Not really demos, but just him messing around. Ill see if I can find one

Its a 1x12 and this isnt the highest quality recording. He did the everything himself. The clean tone is kinda thin in this video, but I think it has a lot to do with the recording process he used. here

Here is some blues he did and shows the touch responsiveness of the amp here

And if you skip to 2:06 this is a pretty decent sound you can get out without an overdrive. Here

Hes gonna kill me for posting these. Hahaha.

Last edited by nickdohle : 12-20-2012 at 04:46 AM.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #10
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

If you were going Classic 30, a speaker/tube swap would be best. Not saying the stock stuff is awful, but it really limits the amps potential. Stick a G12 and some JJ's in there and you'll be loving life. They have a bit of weight to them, but they're only roughly 20 kilos or so. Great clean headroom, nice crunchy overdrive and the boost pushes it pretty far. I'm sure you could find one used easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
mattrusso

The Classic 30 is a great amp. You could definitely go with that.

You should also check out the Egnater Rebel 30 112 combo. I have one and I love it.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
blackmore11

The Classic 30 is a great amp! I have no problems playing out with it. Definitely not shitty!
blackmore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
monwobobbo

if you want an amp with good cleans that sounds good with a distortion pedal then look at the Crate V series. i had a V32 and it was a very nice little (30 wattt) amp. the amps distortion tones were way to dark for me but with my EH Metal Muff i got some really nice distortion tones. just a thought i know crate gets a lot of hate but the V series tube amps are pretty decent.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
woad_yurt

Go google Jammin' Jersey's in California. Altecs, JBLs, EVs, etc, etc, etc. You can get a killer 12' or 15" for $150-$200 and when they say it's mint, it is. I love the place. One of the above speakers will dust any 2 of the herd.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
Im with cath on this one. A DSL401 sounds great. The JCM DSLs have fantastic cleans for a marshall. Plus, with a good overdrive, you really wont need a Bogner pedal unless your looking for dimed Mesa Rectifier sounds. The DSL401 with an overdrive can get pretty heavy. A buddy of mine had one in an 80s cover band. I believe he has some demos of it clean. Not really demos, but just him messing around. Ill see if I can find one

Its a 1x12 and this isnt the highest quality recording. He did the everything himself. The clean tone is kinda thin in this video, but I think it has a lot to do with the recording process he used. here

Here is some blues he did and shows the touch responsiveness of the amp here

And if you skip to 2:06 this is a pretty decent sound you can get out without an overdrive. Here

Hes gonna kill me for posting these. Hahaha.

i am getting this amp exclusively for extremely high gain from the bogner pedal. i want a easy to transport big sounding metal rig that i could just mic.

if i like it i may use it for a blues gig or something., but i am mainly using it as a platform.

thanks for the demos i will check them out.

eppikurt - tube and speaker swap is a must, i do tubes in any amp i buy, and speakers when i need them. 20 kilos is nothing. my trace 1x12" is like 40 kilos. thats a little much.

when you say "G12" what speaker are you referring to, every celestion i own says g12. G12H30 G12T75, etc. what would you throw in there?
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
gregs1020
Hi mom!

was going to suggest an ampeg j-20 or j-12 until you said you wanted it as a metal amp.

great blues/rock amps.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Why limit yourself to just a clean amp? The 401 has three channels. You might find you like 1 or both of the OD channels.

It would be just fine on the clean channel with a dirt pedal up front for the brootz.

Be aware they do have scratchy pots- when you test one out you should turn the volume up with no guitar plugged in and turn each of the knobs. If you find a scratchy pot they are $8 and you could use that to talk him down.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #18
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
was going to suggest an ampeg j-20 or j-12 until you said you wanted it as a metal amp.

great blues/rock amps.

He is using his pedal for dirt.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #19
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
He is using his pedal for dirt.

yeah but.

i dunno.

just seems wrong somehow.

my ampeg r50h does a good vh tone, but the combos are really more blues type tone based.

worth a shot guess, my j-12 was $200 used. the j-20 amps go for $300-350 now used.

the worst thing that could happen is he'd end up with a great cheap blues amp.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #20
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
yeah but.

i dunno.

just seems wrong somehow.

my ampeg r50h does a good vh tone, but the combos are really more blues type tone based.

worth a shot guess, my j-12 was $200 used. the j-20 amps go for $300-350 now used.

the worst thing that could happen is he'd end up with a great cheap blues amp.

exactly

Rate This Thread: