Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
TaDoey

Play What You Hear Program

I made a thread in the wrong section so I'm posting it here instead. I'm a total noob and I want to start fingerstyling as well as being able to play what I hear. So when I came across Tomi Paldanius' program I thought it'd be perfect. He teaches fingerstyle and how to play what you hear, but it costs $300 and it doesn't have that many reviews. http://www.allears.co/index.php/ico...-tomi-paldanius. It's live over the internet so I guess it's similar to having a real teacher. I was hoping that maybe someone here on UG has tried it or if there is some better alternative. I know that Jam Play is offering a one year subscription to their website for $100, but I'm also not too sure about that either. Please, someone help me figure out how to start playing the guitar. Its been sitting there for 2 months.

Last edited by TaDoey : 12-26-2012 at 02:05 AM.
TaDoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Geldin

Neither of those is gonna benefit you at a basic beginner level. If you can, get lessons with a local instructor to learn the very basics of the guitar. Once you start to get a handle on how you learn best, online courses and programs might or might not be viable options, but I recommend strongly against them until you have some understanding of rudimentary technique.

$300 for a beginner is pretty steep and a lot of it won't make much sense to you. An instructor will be much cheaper and will probably give way better feedback in real time.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I wouldn't pay anything close to that kind of money for anything that wasn't face to face tuition in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
TaDoey

So does anybody have advice on where I should start? And it is kind of face to face, it's live and we could both see each other.
TaDoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Go to Google.com enter Guitar Teachers into the search field and find one near you.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-26-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDoey
So does anybody have advice on where I should start? And it is kind of face to face, it's live and we could both see each other.

Go to a local music store and ask the guy at the counter if he knows of any instructors for guitar. If they don't have an in-house teacher, they'll know a few in town. I have always said on here, the #3 thing a beginner should have (after a guitar and a metronome) is an instructor. If you can get a decent instructor to show you the ropes, you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of self-taught guys.

As a beginner, you don't know how to learn or self-motivate yet, which is what you need for those kinds of systems, along with an understanding of the rudiments of how to play. Once you know some musical jargon and how it applies to the guitar and have a handle on basic technique, it's up to you to decide if a $300 program is right for you. In my experience, though, those kinds of things aren't generally worth it unless you set out with specific goals in mind with a program designed to meet those goals.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: