Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
steelfool

Question Pinch Harmonics: Mids and highs

Sup, babies.
I'm completely brand new wiff forums and stuff, but I am NOT a beginner with guitar performance and music.

So I have a Schecter Omen-6; not a great guitar, but I can do A LOT with it--had it for years and have loved it.....she mah baby.
I have Dimarzio PAF pro in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge. I LOVE the tone zone when it comes to playing jazz and classical, but whenever I play metal it sucks poop, and for some reason I CAN NOT get any good pinch harmonics from it. I used to have EMG's in it and the harmonics were awesome, but ever since I swapped them for the new set, I can't get pinch harmonics if my life depended on it. I know it's usually about the bridge pickup. Tried resoldering to make sure the connection was cute, but nothing.
I'm pretty sure it's just the pickup, so I wanted to know what I can swap the Tone zone out with? I've been looking at a lot of Dimarzio pickups and I see a bunch with really low or high mids. And I'm not too sure which will produce better harmonics. Tone Zones have low highs and high mids, soooo I'm kind of assuming there needs to be some highs in there but I'm not so sure on mids.
I need help. What can I do?
I don't want a metal pickup; I want a versatile pickup. The metal I play is very Progressive so I don't want an ultra hot pickup like the x2n.

Thanks.
steelfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Well, pinch harmonics are usually ALWAYS your technique.

Raise the action a bit? Turn up the gain a bit on your amp? (actives have more gain)
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong

Try your pinch harmonic technique all over the picking section, some 'parts' of the string aren't very capable of giving those nice and nasty harmonics you're probably looking for. Same goes for fretting, some notes are better for pinch harmonics than others.

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
The actual correct answer
TuningGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

I practiced my pinch harmonics by doing scales all throughout the fret board. Some people have different methods but I use this when my technique slips.

EDIT: Also, did you swap out the electronics (Pots really) when you swapped the pups? I dont know how much effect this would have, but I do know that actives use 25k if im correct wile singles and humbuckers use 250k and 500k respectively. As in most of the time. I know you can use 250k for buckers and 500k for singles with different effects but Ive never heard of anyone using 25k for non actives.

Last edited by nickdohle : 12-06-2012 at 06:40 PM.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

the tone zone has killer harmonics, certainly considering how dark it is (i'd say killer full stop, really).

^ good call. yeah you need different value pots for active and passive pickups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Work on your technique. Super hot pickups do help to bring out the pinch harmonics, but they aren't necessary. You should be able to do them on any pickup, single coil, PAF, P90, it doesn't matter.

If you can't do pinch harmonics unplugged on every string and every fret, then you have some work to do.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
KrymsinViking

You might have been relying on the actives a little and now you probably just need to clean up your technique a little. Or the pots, it could definately be that.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Work on your technique. Super hot pickups do help to bring out the pinch harmonics, but they aren't necessary. You should be able to do them on any pickup, single coil, PAF, P90, it doesn't matter.

If you can't do pinch harmonics unplugged on every string and every fret, then you have some work to do.

+1 purely technique. practice. i learned mine up and down scales as somebody else said. that was quite a while ago. i never miss.

and if you chose to play the 'different guitar' card, look through my profile, i can do it on every guitar in there. every time. after a while of practice you probably won't have any limitations.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Chance are when you changed pickups you also changed the action marginally. It can be surprising how the smallest change can alter how you need to do pinch harmonics on any given guitar.

So, practise. It certainly is not the pickups.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
steelfool

Trust me, it's NOT my technique. I've been playing for years.

I can play harmonics on any guitar, but for some reason this specific pickup isn't picking it up.

You know, it can actually be the pots. I didn't change them when I changed from active to passive. Completely forgot about that.

By the way, will this dramatically affect the tone of the Tone Zone or any other pickup that I'm using? Do the actual pots make a difference in sound?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfool

I can play harmonics on any guitar, but for some reason this specific pickup isn't picking it up.

You know, it can actually be the pots. I didn't change them when I changed from active to passive. Completely forgot about that.

By the way, will this dramatically affect the tone of the Tone Zone or any other pickup that I'm using? Do the actual pots make a difference in sound?

Yes, low circuit impedance can certainly cause the harmonics to be lost in the noise and filtered by the amp.

That carries for any passive pick up.

You should be able to play a pinch with the guitar clean.
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #12
steelfool

Alright, cool. So I'm assuming my pots are 25k since they were for actives? What should I get, 250 or 500?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #13
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
Alright, cool. So I'm assuming my pots are 25k since they were for actives? What should I get, 250 or 500?

That would vary by pickup, shoot the vendors for your pups an e-mail and see what they recommend. This is one of those mileage may vary things.

I can explain how the pick-up works and why that resistance in the pots is important, but its boring.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #14
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Preference. If I am correct, and Im sure I will be corrected if not, 500ks roll off a little more treble and are what most Humbucker players use.

And 250k roll off more mids? Idk I might be getting those two mixed up.

Go for the 500k. I use them in my bucker guitars and like them.

EDIT. Googled it and found this.

1Meg = bright HB...shrill SC
500K = warm HB...bright SC
250K = muddy HB, warm SC

HB = humbucker
SC = single coil

...the HIGHER the pot resistance value, the LESS high-frequencies are attenuated.
...the LOWER the pot resistance value, the MORE high-frequencies are attenduated.

Last edited by nickdohle : 12-17-2012 at 03:12 AM.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #15
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
Preference. If I am correct, and Im sure I will be corrected if not, 500ks roll off a little more treble and are what most Humbucker players use.

Well, due to more magnets humbuckers put out more current, however the amp doesn't want current it wants voltage, so the more impedance you present the higher the voltage generated at the cost of curret. Hence 250k being used more prevalently in singles, less magents, mean you have less current to work with, and if you go to high with the impedance you basically stop the current which means no sound, so there is a balancing act.

All of the potentiometers do is throttle the impedance up and down to generate a bigger or smaller voltage to send to the amp.

With actives it matters less because the current is supplied by the battery, so all of that is done in the pcikup itself.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #16
JAHellraiser

Quote:

any guitar you say? so if I gave you an acoustic you could do it on there with no problem?
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #17
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle

EDIT. Googled it and found this.

1Meg = bright HB...shrill SC
500K = warm HB...bright SC
250K = muddy HB, warm SC

HB = humbucker
SC = single coil

...the HIGHER the pot resistance value, the LESS high-frequencies are attenuated.
...the LOWER the pot resistance value, the MORE high-frequencies are attenduated.

Yes, due the reactive nature of coils, the more resistance you stack in the more high frequencies are affected.

....This is why many guitars have "tone caps" which are capacitors that are added in-line to balance the tone back out.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #18
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
any guitar you say? so if I gave you an acoustic you could do it on there with no problem?

Unless it has nylon or silkwound strings, yes you can pinch on an acoustic. It may sound a bit funny, but a pinch harmonic is a byproduct of string length and nodes along that length.

Not the nature of the guitar really.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I'd be tempted to go for 1 meg pots with the Tone Zone, for me it's a bit too muddy and lacking in top end with 500 meg pots, having said that there's plenty of other players out there who like it fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
steelfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
I'd be tempted to go for 1 meg pots with the Tone Zone, for me it's a bit too muddy and lacking in top end with 500 meg pots, having said that there's plenty of other players out there who like it fine.

Yea, I found out first hand that it was a little muddy, especially when playing distorted chords, 'cause I do that a lot with progressive metal stuff. It was free though, so not like I lost or regret anything. It's a FANTASTIC pickup for jazz though (especially when combined with the neck pickup), probably classical too.

I want to be red.

Alright, looks like I'm gown have to ayusk dem people for pot recommendations.

Thanks to those who actually helped.

Last edited by steelfool : 12-17-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Rate This Thread: