Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Staplerebels

Demo recording questions - Portastudio 424mkIII

Hey UG, Ive recently picked up a Tascam Portastudio 424mkiii. I've previously used Logic Pro to mix but felt that I wasnt getting the dirty grungy type sound I was looking for. So my band wants to record some songs using the portastudio. I've been messing with the thing for about two weeks now with what equipment we have available which is next to nothing, but I just wanted to ask what I can do to get the best sound out of the ports studio with what we have

We want to record drums bass guitar live and vocals separately

We have
A shure sm57 for guitar
Bass direct in
and some meh mike for drums

What's the best way to approach this? What settings should we use on the portastudio? We're a punk band so we want everything to sound really loud. Thanks
Staplerebels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Staplerebels

I apologize in advance for being a complete newbie but help would be greatly appreciated!
Staplerebels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Assuming you're using decent guitar/amp, the SM57 should be plenty to get a good recording. DI for bass will be OK, the 'meh' mic for drums could be limiting though. Never recorded real drums, so can't comment there.

As for using the 2488 though, the manual is pretty easy to follow - if you've been playing around with it for a couple of weeks you should already know most of what you need to know to create your recordings - when I got mine I had all the basics sussed out within a couple of hours.

Despite the fact that you say you want everything loud, just set up all the tracks you're recording so there's no clipping, aim at a level averaging around 3/4s on the display. Then experiment with all the mixing & mastering options to get the sound you want - aiming at volume alone won't create a good sound. Getting the mix right will, then you can play it as loud as you want.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: