Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #101
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter
 
Dreadnought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
not to beat a dead horse but most of the advice columns on cracked start with an oversimplified model of human interaction supported by a single anecdote or a YouTube video or what some other dickweed wrote on their blog. all of the advice draws from that model, and much of it is kind of shitty advice. again with the horse thing, if these guys dolling out advice about living knew more about psychology, i think they would find themselves less certain about the advice they give.

also this is not exclusive to cracked.


wow. Way to prove the article.
__________________
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #102
Thrashtastic15
clayton stoner
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
But is that a bad thing? Surely there's at least some truth to some of their articles. Just because you don't like their tone doesn't mean they're "full of shit."

That just makes you seem like an angst-y, spoiled teen.

Based on what?

It's a pretty pathetic mindset to base the sum of your worth and who you are as a person off the needs and desires of others. I read through that badly written trainwreck and didn't find a single compelling or reasonable piece of advice given. Just a bunch of infantile, juvenile garbage to help people towards living an unfulfilled and shallow life.

and I'm pretty successful/poised to be successful in the present given my age, even by this guys standards.
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #103
bradulator
new sincerity
 
bradulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Why does this thread have so many pages.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #104
Thrashtastic15
clayton stoner
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
magic
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #105
CoreysMonster
Banned
 
CoreysMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
Based on what?

It's a pretty pathetic mindset to base the sum of your worth and who you are as a person off the needs and desires of others.
I read through that badly written trainwreck and didn't find a single compelling or reasonable piece of advice given. Just a bunch of infantile, juvenile garbage to help people towards living an unfulfilled and shallow life.

and I'm pretty successful/poised to be successful in the present given my age, even by this guys standards.

That's not what he said. He said your worth to society is measured by what you can contribute to society, he didn't say to lead your life wondering if what you're doing is the most maximum you can do FOR SOCIETY because SOCIETY demands it.
He's basing one extreme off the other, because in its essence it's a comedy article filled with hyperboly. He's using the lazy, unemployed, 30-something, skill-less slob as the people who do nothing. The kind of people where playing guitar is some bizarre magic they can't even begin to imagine. He's contrasting it against the biggest rich asshole from a movie he could think of.
I mean seriously, do you people even read things and think about them, or do you just skim through them and add the rest of the things in your head?
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #106
Thrashtastic15
clayton stoner
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
hyperbole

pretty much sums that up no offense mate im not wasting my time on this childish drivel
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #107
blake1221
‭‭
 
blake1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
Based on what?

It's a pretty pathetic mindset to base the sum of your worth and who you are as a person off the needs and desires of others. I read through that badly written trainwreck and didn't find a single compelling or reasonable piece of advice given. Just a bunch of infantile, juvenile garbage to help people towards living an unfulfilled and shallow life.

and I'm pretty successful/poised to be successful in the present given my age, even by this guys standards.


I wasn't referring to this article, just his opinion on the two writers and articles akin to this.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #108
CoreysMonster
Banned
 
CoreysMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
hyperbole

pretty much sums that up no offense mate im not wasting my time on this childish drivel

I'm sure your success is calling you, best not keep it waiting.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #109
WizMystery
WizMystery
 
WizMystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WizMystery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
not to beat a dead horse but most of the advice columns on cracked start with an oversimplified model of human interaction supported by a single anecdote or a YouTube video or what some other dickweed wrote on their blog. all of the advice draws from that model, and much of it is kind of shitty advice. again with the horse thing, if these guys dolling out advice about living knew more about psychology, i think they would find themselves less certain about the advice they give.

also this is not exclusive to cracked.


You don't need to know about psychology to be able to say that you should get up and actually do things. It's irrelevant to the message because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what stress you've gone through or what's preventing you from working, it only matters whether or not you've actually done it. This article is about motivation and not much else, so any other nuances that differ from this model are negligible or have nothing to do with the premise.
WizMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #110
Thrashtastic15
clayton stoner
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
I'm sure your success is calling you, best not keep it waiting.

Thats true actually, I have a date.
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #111
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection
 
Ur all $h1t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
not to beat a dead horse but most of the advice columns on cracked start with an oversimplified model of human interaction supported by a single anecdote or a YouTube video or what some other dickweed wrote on their blog. all of the advice draws from that model, and much of it is kind of shitty advice. again with the horse thing, if these guys dolling out advice about living knew more about psychology, i think they would find themselves less certain about the advice they give.

also this is not exclusive to cracked.

I did a degree in psychology, nothing I learned during it makes me in any way well equipped to advise anyone about anything ever.
__________________
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #112
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008
 
TheChaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Are people still mad at Cheese for making fun of puns?

I always liked his articles. They're very true. Or is this a "I don't want discussion of serious issues on my comedy website" thing?

No, it's because all he does is bitch about his childhood and alcoholism. He's intolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naedauuf
He is the WORST of the worst! I remember when he hosted Attack of the Show (back when it wasn't shit) for a little bit. He is such a pretentious **** sucking macho dickhead. His writing style sucks too. Always has this undertone of douchiness.

No offense, not attacking you, just him.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/11201-m...errible-advice/

Read that or any of his other articles about advice books and tell me again how bad he sucks. Best Cracked writer IMO.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #113
Eastwinn
locks from the inside
 
Eastwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
I did a degree in psychology, nothing I learned during it makes me in any way well equipped to advise anyone about anything ever.


didn't say it would. i said i thought it would make one feel less equipped to give advice (in self-help fashion like the article).

i was also mocking the writers of cracked. they write lists about psychology all the time but, as the comments section always reveals, they're not too good with it.

Dreadnought: i'm criticizing all of their stupid advice lists. get off it
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #114
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection
 
Ur all $h1t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
didn't say it would. i said i thought it would make one feel less equipped to give advice (in self-help fashion like the article).

i was also mocking the writers of cracked. they write lists about psychology all the time but, as the comments section always reveals, they're not too good with it.

Dreadnought: i'm criticizing all of their stupid advice lists. get off it

It wouldn't make me feel less equipped to give advice either, it doesn't have any effect at all. As a discipline psychology itself has nothing to do with life-coachy, self helpy stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised that articles designed to be funny are not scientifically accurate, science is seldom hilarious.
__________________
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #115
Eastwinn
locks from the inside
 
Eastwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
It wouldn't make me feel less equipped to give advice either, it doesn't have any effect at all. As a discipline psychology itself has nothing to do with life-coachy, self helpy stuff.


you don't think that some of the results of social psychology betray the way self-help books simplify social behavior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
I wouldn't be surprised that articles designed to be funny are not scientifically accurate, science is seldom hilarious.


i mean, they're not funny at all so assumed they're trying to be accurate.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #116
CoreysMonster
Banned
 
CoreysMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
The skin on your elbow is called "wenis".

Holy shit that's actually true
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #117
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton
 
necrosis1193's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Moon
Taking a Cracked article seriously is like drawing on your beliefs about society from a comedy routine.

Wait a minute...
__________________
Hey you! Yes, you! Buy my music! It's cool and stuff!

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 10-6
2014 Pick 'Em: 173-79-3
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #118
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action
 
homeless-john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow
I had a friend who started reading Cracked regularly and became a pretentious asshole that used unecessarily long and fancy words to make himself seem smarter. I'm not saying Cracked was the only factor but yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
It wouldn't make me feel less equipped to give advice either, it doesn't have any effect at all. As a discipline psychology itself has nothing to do with life-coachy, self helpy stuff.

Truth but a lot of people don't get that. A lot of people actually end up in psychology courses because they like to help friends by giving them advice and such. To be fair there is counselling psychology but that's a relatively small area in a huge field and even then it's not really focused on advice giving.
__________________
PSN: leo-da-bam
Steam ID: chunkadelic
XBL: LovelyGodzilla

Last edited by homeless-john : 12-18-2012 at 05:57 PM.
homeless-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #119
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
 
Xiaoxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: libtard Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
http://www.cracked.com/blog/11201-m...errible-advice/

Read that or any of his other articles about advice books and tell me again how bad he sucks. Best Cracked writer IMO.

LOL yea I read all of his rants against Godek. Pretty goddamn entertaining.

My favorite line:

Quote:
Godek, you would need a ghost writer to help make a grocery list.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarnedeGraaf
I want to reconcile the violence in your heart
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart


Last edited by Xiaoxi : 12-18-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #120
jugglingfreak
UG Newbie
 
jugglingfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
But is that a bad thing? Surely there's at least some truth to some of their articles. Just because you don't like their tone doesn't mean they're "full of shit."

That just makes you seem like an angst-y, spoiled teen.



That's what's funny. The article said they would do that too:

*Focusing on the Tone to Avoid Hearing the Content
jugglingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2015
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.