User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #101
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
If you're going to talk such unrelenting shit against this guy, you might as well back it up lol.

I'm just messing around

I don't seriously HATE him. Though he does delete almost everything that someone who isn't a 'regular' posts in the forums which gets really annoying. :/

I just enjoy the funny and cool articles Cracked posts more. So I don't read his or Cheese's. They come off as really pretentious and condescending imo. Like someone else in this thread said, they have this 'dad vibe' like they are talking to their children that they are so much wiser than.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #102
blake1221
‭‭

But is that a bad thing? Surely there's at least some truth to some of their articles. Just because you don't like their tone doesn't mean they're "full of shit."

That just makes you seem like an angst-y, spoiled teen.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #103
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

I'm happy with my life. I don't need some daft asshole giving me advice.
homeless-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #104
Eastwinn
minoan bull leaper

Quote:
But is that a bad thing? Surely there's at least some truth to some of their articles. Just because you don't like their tone doesn't mean they're "full of shit."

not to beat a dead horse but most of the advice columns on cracked start with an oversimplified model of human interaction supported by a single anecdote or a YouTube video or what some other dickweed wrote on their blog. all of the advice draws from that model, and much of it is kind of shitty advice. again with the horse thing, if these guys dolling out advice about living knew more about psychology, i think they would find themselves less certain about the advice they give.

also this is not exclusive to cracked.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #105
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
not to beat a dead horse but most of the advice columns on cracked start with an oversimplified model of human interaction supported by a single anecdote or a YouTube video or what some other dickweed wrote on their blog. all of the advice draws from that model, and much of it is kind of shitty advice. again with the horse thing, if these guys dolling out advice about living knew more about psychology, i think they would find themselves less certain about the advice they give.

wow. Way to prove the article.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #106
Thrashtastic15
CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

Quote:

Based on what?

It's a pretty pathetic mindset to base the sum of your worth and who you are as a person off the needs and desires of others. I read through that badly written trainwreck and didn't find a single compelling or reasonable piece of advice given. Just a bunch of infantile, juvenile garbage to help people towards living an unfulfilled and shallow life.

and I'm pretty successful/poised to be successful in the present given my age, even by this guys standards.

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
19 - 9 - 3

fuckin willis im gonna run that cunt
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #107
bradulator
new sincerity

Why does this thread have so many pages.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #108
Thrashtastic15
CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

magic

19 - 9 - 3

Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #109
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
Based on what?

It's a pretty pathetic mindset to base the sum of your worth and who you are as a person off the needs and desires of others.
I read through that badly written trainwreck and didn't find a single compelling or reasonable piece of advice given. Just a bunch of infantile, juvenile garbage to help people towards living an unfulfilled and shallow life.

and I'm pretty successful/poised to be successful in the present given my age, even by this guys standards.

That's not what he said. He said your worth to society is measured by what you can contribute to society, he didn't say to lead your life wondering if what you're doing is the most maximum you can do FOR SOCIETY because SOCIETY demands it.
He's basing one extreme off the other, because in its essence it's a comedy article filled with hyperboly. He's using the lazy, unemployed, 30-something, skill-less slob as the people who do nothing. The kind of people where playing guitar is some bizarre magic they can't even begin to imagine. He's contrasting it against the biggest rich asshole from a movie he could think of.
I mean seriously, do you people even read things and think about them, or do you just skim through them and add the rest of the things in your head?
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #110
Thrashtastic15
CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

hyperbole

pretty much sums that up no offense mate im not wasting my time on this childish drivel

19 - 9 - 3

Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #111
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Based on what?

It's a pretty pathetic mindset to base the sum of your worth and who you are as a person off the needs and desires of others. I read through that badly written trainwreck and didn't find a single compelling or reasonable piece of advice given. Just a bunch of infantile, juvenile garbage to help people towards living an unfulfilled and shallow life.

I wasn't referring to this article, just his opinion on the two writers and articles akin to this.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #112
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
hyperbole

pretty much sums that up no offense mate im not wasting my time on this childish drivel

I'm sure your success is calling you, best not keep it waiting.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #113
WizMystery
WizMystery

Quote:

You don't need to know about psychology to be able to say that you should get up and actually do things. It's irrelevant to the message because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what stress you've gone through or what's preventing you from working, it only matters whether or not you've actually done it. This article is about motivation and not much else, so any other nuances that differ from this model are negligible or have nothing to do with the premise.
WizMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #114
Thrashtastic15
CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
I'm sure your success is calling you, best not keep it waiting.

Thats true actually, I have a date.

19 - 9 - 3

Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #115
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

Quote:

I did a degree in psychology, nothing I learned during it makes me in any way well equipped to advise anyone about anything ever.

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #116
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Are people still mad at Cheese for making fun of puns?

I always liked his articles. They're very true. Or is this a "I don't want discussion of serious issues on my comedy website" thing?

No, it's because all he does is bitch about his childhood and alcoholism. He's intolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naedauuf
He is the WORST of the worst! I remember when he hosted Attack of the Show (back when it wasn't shit) for a little bit. He is such a pretentious **** sucking macho dickhead. His writing style sucks too. Always has this undertone of douchiness.

No offense, not attacking you, just him.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/11201-m...errible-advice/

Read that or any of his other articles about advice books and tell me again how bad he sucks. Best Cracked writer IMO.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #117
Eastwinn
minoan bull leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
I did a degree in psychology, nothing I learned during it makes me in any way well equipped to advise anyone about anything ever.

didn't say it would. i said i thought it would make one feel less equipped to give advice (in self-help fashion like the article).

i was also mocking the writers of cracked. they write lists about psychology all the time but, as the comments section always reveals, they're not too good with it.

Dreadnought: i'm criticizing all of their stupid advice lists. get off it
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #118
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

Quote:
didn't say it would. i said i thought it would make one feel less equipped to give advice (in self-help fashion like the article).

i was also mocking the writers of cracked. they write lists about psychology all the time but, as the comments section always reveals, they're not too good with it.

Dreadnought: i'm criticizing all of their stupid advice lists. get off it

It wouldn't make me feel less equipped to give advice either, it doesn't have any effect at all. As a discipline psychology itself has nothing to do with life-coachy, self helpy stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised that articles designed to be funny are not scientifically accurate, science is seldom hilarious.

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #119
Eastwinn
minoan bull leaper

Quote:
It wouldn't make me feel less equipped to give advice either, it doesn't have any effect at all. As a discipline psychology itself has nothing to do with life-coachy, self helpy stuff.

you don't think that some of the results of social psychology betray the way self-help books simplify social behavior?

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised that articles designed to be funny are not scientifically accurate, science is seldom hilarious.

i mean, they're not funny at all so assumed they're trying to be accurate.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #120
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:

The skin on your elbow is called "wenis".
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: