Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #121
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King

I loved the article, it made me realize that I'm that asshole writer who never actually writes anything (but with music) and that I need to just do that even if it's shit.
Bob_Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #122
WCPhils
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
http://www.cracked.com/blog/11201-m...errible-advice/

Read that or any of his other articles about advice books and tell me again how bad he sucks. Best Cracked writer IMO.

Love him

Quote:
Touch Your Partner - - With Your Eyes

"What the hell does that mean? Is that Presbyterian for "stare at her tits?"

Quote:
Go Digging For Clams

"I guess I know what you call it when you're porking your fat wife now. Thanks, Godek."

Last edited by WCPhils : 12-18-2012 at 06:30 PM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #123
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

It's decent advice, although nothing out of the obvious. Also, it seems to repeat the same point 6 times. Having said that, I don't know many people of my age who really have their shit together. Maybe stating the obvious is the push that someone needs to get going.

I'll probably forget I ever read this article in a few days.

Last edited by sashki : 12-18-2012 at 07:30 PM.
sashki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #124
CoreysMonster
Banned

I'm watching the movie that the video from the article is from. Half an hour in, it's pretty damn good, and it really puts the idea behind the video into perspective, especially once you get to know all of the workers he's yelling at.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #125
Jackal58
Pit Daddy

Good movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Jackal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #126
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki
It's decent advice, although nothing out of the obvious. Also, it seems to repeat the same point 6 times. Having said that, I don't know many people of my age who really have their shit together. Maybe stating the obvious is the push that someone needs to get going.

I'll probably forget I ever read this article in a few days.

It does repeat the same point, but it does so in a way designed to get rid of excuses. Basically, the article was "6 Excuses You Need to Stop Making, If You Want to Get Your Shit Together".
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #127
TheChaz
UG Newbie

From another Godek article:

Quote:
Outdoor Adventures #2
Play miniature golf... while dressed in your wedding gown and tuxedo!

"Godek re-used this tip four years later in his book Enchanted Evenings because it's the best thing he's ever thought of. Gregory J.P. Godek is the reason the terrorists hate our freedom. Mohammed Ahta was just some Lutheran named Mike Jenkins playing miniature golf before Godek and his wife showed up."
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #128
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Before Seanbaby, I had never heard of Godek. But after, I just wish him nothing but AIDS.

...modes and scales are still useless.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #129
Ninja Vampirate
up the hoods

If I believed half the bollocks in that article, I would probably kill myself. And I like to think I'm doing quite well with my life.
Ninja Vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #130
gunsnroses#1
Banned

Meh. As soon as any article starts the whole "I know exactly how to get chicks and why other guys can't" spiel, I stop reading.
gunsnroses#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #131
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses#1
Meh. As soon as any article starts the whole "I know exactly how to get chicks and why other guys can't" spiel, I stop reading.

Napoleon Dynamite said, "Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."
Replace "Girls" and "Boyfriends" with "Society" and "Individuals" respectively, and you basically have a summary of the article without the asshole tone.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #132
TheChaz
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki
Napoleon Dynamite said, "Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."
Replace "Girls" and "Boyfriends" with "Society" and "Individuals" respectively, and you basically have a summary of the article without the asshole tone.

Add in Batman Begins: "It's not who are underneath. It's what you do that defines you." Now you have the whole package.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #133
palm mute
Reserved User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglingfreak
That's what's funny. The article said they would do that too:

*Focusing on the Tone to Avoid Hearing the Content

But that isn't hard to say.

He could have literally said any dumb bullshit idea that popped in his head followed with that and they would still do that. It doesn't mean anything he said has merit.

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #134
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

Anticipating criticism does not make you above criticism. I happen to agree with his point but that doesn't make him any less of an asshole. He goes out of his way to really make you hate him, and then he shames you for it. Not exactly a good way to win over the audience.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #135
palm mute
Reserved User

It reminds me of the conspiracy theory people. Paint anyone who disagrees with you as part of the "problem", you are exactly all of the bad things I was just talking about if you disagree with me.

If you are going to take anything away from this article it is that Glengarry Glen Ross is a pretty good movie.

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #136
Primus2112
gortar hero

i love seanbaby, and i love that you all love seanbaby too

edit:

Quote:
2010. When staying with relatives, intentionally choose to sleep together in a single bed.

This is less for romance and more for politeness. Godek and his wife seep so much pizza grease while they sleep that it's cheaper for his relatives to replace a smaller mattress. So I guess he's not a total monster

Last edited by Primus2112 : 12-18-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Primus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #137
Saint78
julian wells

Those weren't even harsh.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #138
fail
Custom Mandy Moore avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Y
What bothers me is that he professes this as the one and only truth about the world. The article has the tone of a sermon, he is basically preaching. It does not allow other world views. He disintegrates people with their hopes, dreams, desires into the language of a marketplace. In"What You Produce Does Not Have to Make Money, But It Does Have to Benefit People" he uses ''a woman'' as an example. His examples do not reach further than a job(/money) and women, which he seems to equate with happiness. You have to conform to these rules (''How can I become the type of person employers want?", "How can I become the type of person that pretty girls like?") instead of constructing your own idea of success, which might be different for everyone.

Yeah, but he's addressing a certain audience. Young guys have written to him telling him that is their idea of success -- money and women. It's not mine, but I still think the basic principles behind it would be useful to me because living for myself is not making me happy.

Quote:
Society might end up slightly happier if it didn't encourage success.

Please explain. Do you mean monetary success or success as in getting what you want?

Quote:
He emphasizes that you must change yourself the way society, businesses, 'women' want you to change, which I think is a sure way of losing touch with yourself and making it seem like you're a failure. I think doing things that resound with your own sense of joy is a better way of getting out of a period of feeling down. He addresses this to people who are not satisfied in some way. Let's view this as mild form of depression. I have some experience/knowledge on the matter, this being my fourth year in college studying psychology. When people come to a psychologist, the things the author of the article sums up as important only scratch the surface, successful businessmen might find themselves unsatisfied despite of their success. And here the view of the person himself is important, not in what way he does or does not conform to any standard of success. The author seems not to believe in a change of perspective.

On the other hand, tips he gives in the article might be useful to some people, he emphasizes own responsibility, which I think is a good thing (although there are people whose problems are out of their control).

The thing is, most people get a sense of joy from things that have to do with other people.

As someone who's adopted the "human being, not human doing" mindset, probably as a way of justifying my uselessness to society, it hasn't served me because as a social creature I crave things that I can't get without being of some use to others. I didn't take away from the article that I'm not allowed to enjoy anything for myself ever, just that I need more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
I think people that attack the article are really the people it outlines in one of the first points it makes.

That, or they don't need the advice because they're not stuck in the situation of feeling useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
maybe they attack the article because it is pretentious and doesn't give any insight you couldn't get from a quick skim of a good book on social psychology, especially one that focuses on western cultures.

How do you know he's pretentious? Worst insult ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
He's not even asian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, what?

My life is a lie
fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #139
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw

I been living my life like that article says for the past year and a half. I'm not all the way there, but I'm making progress.
genghisgandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #140
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

I never heard of Glengarry Glen Ross, but I liked that clip haha. On #3 I checked out "the last psychiatrists" article, and found it much more interesting and well written. Here's the link to the article "Hipsters On Food Stamps", kind of a quirky title but it's a very insightful look into the reality of college and capitalism, a good read if you've got half an hour or so:

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012...ood_stamps.html

Rate This Thread: