Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #141
Primus2112
gortar hero

i love seanbaby, and i love that you all love seanbaby too

edit:

Quote:
2010. When staying with relatives, intentionally choose to sleep together in a single bed.

This is less for romance and more for politeness. Godek and his wife seep so much pizza grease while they sleep that it's cheaper for his relatives to replace a smaller mattress. So I guess he's not a total monster

Last edited by Primus2112 : 12-18-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Primus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #142
Saint78
julian wells

Those weren't even harsh.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #143
fail
Custom Mandy Moore avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Y
What bothers me is that he professes this as the one and only truth about the world. The article has the tone of a sermon, he is basically preaching. It does not allow other world views. He disintegrates people with their hopes, dreams, desires into the language of a marketplace. In"What You Produce Does Not Have to Make Money, But It Does Have to Benefit People" he uses ''a woman'' as an example. His examples do not reach further than a job(/money) and women, which he seems to equate with happiness. You have to conform to these rules (''How can I become the type of person employers want?", "How can I become the type of person that pretty girls like?") instead of constructing your own idea of success, which might be different for everyone.

Yeah, but he's addressing a certain audience. Young guys have written to him telling him that is their idea of success -- money and women. It's not mine, but I still think the basic principles behind it would be useful to me because living for myself is not making me happy.

Quote:
Society might end up slightly happier if it didn't encourage success.

Please explain. Do you mean monetary success or success as in getting what you want?

Quote:
He emphasizes that you must change yourself the way society, businesses, 'women' want you to change, which I think is a sure way of losing touch with yourself and making it seem like you're a failure. I think doing things that resound with your own sense of joy is a better way of getting out of a period of feeling down. He addresses this to people who are not satisfied in some way. Let's view this as mild form of depression. I have some experience/knowledge on the matter, this being my fourth year in college studying psychology. When people come to a psychologist, the things the author of the article sums up as important only scratch the surface, successful businessmen might find themselves unsatisfied despite of their success. And here the view of the person himself is important, not in what way he does or does not conform to any standard of success. The author seems not to believe in a change of perspective.

On the other hand, tips he gives in the article might be useful to some people, he emphasizes own responsibility, which I think is a good thing (although there are people whose problems are out of their control).

The thing is, most people get a sense of joy from things that have to do with other people.

As someone who's adopted the "human being, not human doing" mindset, probably as a way of justifying my uselessness to society, it hasn't served me because as a social creature I crave things that I can't get without being of some use to others. I didn't take away from the article that I'm not allowed to enjoy anything for myself ever, just that I need more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
I think people that attack the article are really the people it outlines in one of the first points it makes.

That, or they don't need the advice because they're not stuck in the situation of feeling useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
maybe they attack the article because it is pretentious and doesn't give any insight you couldn't get from a quick skim of a good book on social psychology, especially one that focuses on western cultures.

How do you know he's pretentious? Worst insult ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
He's not even asian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, what?

My life is a lie
fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #144
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw

I been living my life like that article says for the past year and a half. I'm not all the way there, but I'm making progress.
genghisgandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #145
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

I never heard of Glengarry Glen Ross, but I liked that clip haha. On #3 I checked out "the last psychiatrists" article, and found it much more interesting and well written. Here's the link to the article "Hipsters On Food Stamps", kind of a quirky title but it's a very insightful look into the reality of college and capitalism, a good read if you've got half an hour or so:

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012...ood_stamps.html
Old 12-19-2012, 02:20 AM   #146
MAC2322
UG's Twilight Sparkle

I believe that people who don't enjoy Cracked don't read it right. That article was great.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #147
spitonastranger
Kinski Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglingfreak
That's what's funny. The article said they would do that too:

*Focusing on the Tone to Avoid Hearing the Content

Oh my god it must be correct because he listed the reasons people will think its bullshit but called them 'excuses'!

Jesus some people will believe anything if they're presented as 'hard truths' by some circumlocutory jackass with a superiority complex.
spitonastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 AM   #148
fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitonastranger
Oh my god it must be correct because he listed the reasons people will think its bullshit but called them 'excuses'!

It shows he's at least considered the criticisms of what he wrote.

Quote:
Jesus some people will believe anything if they're presented as 'hard truths' by some circumlocutory jackass with a superiority complex.

And some will reject anything for the same reason.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #149
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus2112
i love seanbaby, and i love that you all love seanbaby too

edit:

Seanbaby is amazing, and his Godek articles are just on another level.

Quote:
Strings of pearls have also been presented to "A String of Pearls" by Glenn Miller.

"What Godek is saying is that most women are happy to ignore your lack of wit if you give them expensive things. Godek had to buy his wife a car to get his first blowjob. And the entire time she was doing it, he handed her blow-pops and screamed, "Get it? Get it!?"
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #150
mystical_1
**** it

I'm not going to critique the validity of the article or any of the points made. It actually helped me figure out a couple of ways to go about some things that I was doing completely opposite.

There were a couple of things in there that I actually did need to be reminded of that I had forgotten, too, such as reveling in my own self importance (for who the hell knows why now that I think about it, no-one else notices it but me). And, I know someone else that probably can get some good out of it too. Its not perfect but I gotta say thanks for posting it Fail.

Merry Xmas.

mystical_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #151
Dregen
andy, you're a star

holy shit that made me depressed. probably because it's why i'm depressed for the most part. felt like i was getting my mind read or something.
Dregen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #152
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

Pretty much what the article said. The world doesn't give a shit if you're nice or how many times it's ****ed you over, it just cares about what you can offer it.

look at you scared now hoe
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #153
gabcd86
isn't French.

I think part of what annoyed me, tbh, about the article, is that it's a bit "no shit, Sherlock". The problem isn't that people don't realise they have to have something to offer, it's that for a lot of us, that "something to offer" is a pretty vague concept. I mean, what were his closing suggestions - learn karate, learn to cook - hardly going to make you champion of the new austerity is it?

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better

UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #154
jugglingfreak
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm mute
But that isn't hard to say.

He could have literally said any dumb bullshit idea that popped in his head followed with that and they would still do that. It doesn't mean anything he said has merit.

It isn't hard to sit on your ass and criticize either. That was his point. It shows he knows his audience well, including his critics, something any good writer should know.

Also, he hit on one of my favorite things when he was talking about the people "praying for some group" or "keeping them in your thought" and the Kony 2012 crap. Or any stupid online petition (my addition). People do those things because they chose the one type of "help" that doesn't require them to get off the sofa and actually do anything.

Last edited by jugglingfreak : 12-19-2012 at 10:03 AM.
jugglingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #155
donender
Get back to work

I generally like Cracked articles, even though some of them are a bit condescending. This one was bordering on it, but i liked it.

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #156
TooktheAtrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglingfreak
It isn't hard to sit on your ass and criticize either. That was his point. It shows he knows his audience well, including his critics, something any good writer should know.

Also, he hit on one of my favorite things when he was talking about the people "praying for some group" or "keeping them in your thought" and the Kony 2012 crap. Or any stupid online petition (my addition). People do those things because they chose the one type of "help" that doesn't require them to get off the sofa and actually do anything.

Well, altruistic spirit and empathy are prerequisites for positive action. That 'crap' you're talking about is fertile ground for action. (crap, as a matter of coincidence, happens to be a very good fertiliser)

It does not matter how easy or hard it is to criticise. What does matter is whether or not that criticism has merit.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #157
fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabcd86
I think part of what annoyed me, tbh, about the article, is that it's a bit "no shit, Sherlock". The problem isn't that people don't realise they have to have something to offer, it's that for a lot of us, that "something to offer" is a pretty vague concept.

Well, with so many different needs, there are a lot of different things to offer. It's not a matter of vagueness, it's just too broad a topic for that same article.

Quote:
I mean, what were his closing suggestions - learn karate, learn to cook - hardly going to make you champion of the new austerity is it?

Why not?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #158
gabcd86
isn't French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fail
Why not?

Really? If life's problems could be solved by learning karate, we'd be living in a far more pleasant world.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better

UG Amplified
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #159
fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabcd86
Really? If life's problems could be solved by learning karate, we'd be living in a far more pleasant world.

Solving everything was not the point.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #160
gabcd86
isn't French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fail
Solving everything was not the point.

But what does it solve? Making yourself more marketable to employers? Making yourself more attractive to women? With the economy the way it is becoming, there aren't enough jobs to go around, and not everyone has some "selling point". I mean, he quoted the film throughout, but what are we supposed to 'close'?

The only interest in the article, the "get off your arse and do something" is so general and weak as to be of no value whatsoever. The whole point is that 'something' either doesn't pay the bills, or just isn't there.

I mean, would a good business advice article be "sell something"?

Quote:

UG Amplified

Rate This Thread: