Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
bradwilson88

2 Cabinets, Different Ohms

Hey everyone,
I've searched around and haven't really found the answer I'm looking for. OK so here's the background. I have an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30s (i believer at 16 ohms each). I had the multiswitch put in. This allows for 2 8ohm inputs (stereo), or a 4ohm mono, or 16 ohm mono. I also have a 4x12 Line 6 cab with 8 ohm celestions in it. Currently you have to use both plugs on the back in order to run it (i am not above re-wiring the cabinet if it will solve my problem).

My amp peavey triple xxx has 3 selectable ohm levels (4, 8, and 16 ohms) with 2 outputs. Is there ANY way i can make both of these cabinets work together? I would much rather not rewire the avatar cab if possible. The line 6 I am fine with.

Thanks in advance
Brad
bradwilson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
fender

correct me if i am wrong on this but they carry a stereo cord where one end has 2 plugs and other end is single. use that for line 6 cab and then use regular speaker cable for the avatar cab. I think the option you are looking for is set both amps to 16ohms and put the amp at 8ohms you can also put both at 8ohms and run amp at 4ohms if it allows
fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
bradwilson88

wouldn't using that stereo cord split the ohms though? so if i put the amp switch at 4 ohms and run that directly into the avatar cab at 4ohms, and split going into the line 6 would it end up at 8ohms? if so i could definetely do that.
bradwilson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwilson88
Hey everyone,
I've searched around and haven't really found the answer I'm looking for. OK so here's the background. I have an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30s (i believer at 16 ohms each). I had the multiswitch put in. This allows for 2 8ohm inputs (stereo), or a 4ohm mono, or 16 ohm mono. I also have a 4x12 Line 6 cab with 8 ohm celestions in it. Currently you have to use both plugs on the back in order to run it (i am not above re-wiring the cabinet if it will solve my problem).

My amp peavey triple xxx has 3 selectable ohm levels (4, 8, and 16 ohms) with 2 outputs. Is there ANY way i can make both of these cabinets work together? I would much rather not rewire the avatar cab if possible. The line 6 I am fine with.

Thanks in advance
Brad

Means your Avatar's speakers are 8 ohms each. Stereo to each individually is then 8 ohms, mono parallel is 4 ohms and mono series is 16 ohms.

The four 8 ohm speakers in your L6 cab can be wired as two 4 OR 16 ohm stereo sets or an 8 ohm mono set.

So no, given the gear you've got there's no practical method of running all 6 speakers simultaneously from your XXX.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
ne14t

It really depends on what the actual resistance of each driver is. When you are working with resistance in series you can increase the amount of overall resistance, when you work with it in parallel you can lower the amount of overall resistance. So if you could wire your Line 6 cab up to be 16 ohms overall you could use the two 16ohm cabs in parallel and it would act like one 8ohm cab which your amp can power. Or if you can wire the Line 6 cab up to be 4 ohms you can set your Avatar cab to it's 4ohm setting then run the two cabs in series this would provide you with your 8ohm overall resistance which again of course your amp can run. It's a little bit of a gong show with changing wiring but technically it's not impossible.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Means your Avatar's speakers are 8 ohms each. Stereo to each individually is then 8 ohms, mono parallel is 4 ohms and mono series is 16 ohms.

The four 8 ohm speakers in your L6 cab can be wired as two 4 OR 16 ohm stereo sets or an 8 ohm mono set.

So no, given the gear you've got there's no practical method of running all 6 speakers simultaneously from your XXX.

I thought those Line 6 cabs had a stereo/mono option (like a Marshall cab) where he can just run it mono at 8 ohms total.

If that was the case, then can he daisy chain these 2 - 8 ohms cabs together and set the amp to 4 ohms?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911

given the information provided i came up with the same conclusion. this is assuming you want a matched nominal rating from amp to cab and you wanted to utilize all the speakers.

there are methods for you to run some of the speakers, but not all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I thought those Line 6 cabs had a stereo/mono option (like a Marshall cab) where he can just run it mono at 8 ohms total.

he'll have to tell us if it does have more than stereo capability. if it does have 8 ohms then he can wire it for mono 8 ohm operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
If that was the case, then can he daisy chain these 2 - 8 ohms cabs together and set the amp to 4 ohms?

the 2x12 only has 16 or 4 ohm mono operation. he'd have to use stereo operation and leave out one side of the 2x12 for that to work. that is one of those limitations arby was talking about with the "no practical method of running all 6 speakers simultaneously"

some people (like cath maybe) would just say fuggit and run both cabs in parallel and damn the mismatch.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 12-18-2012 at 05:39 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I suck at this
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Guitar-KID125
UG's Hottest MoFo

The ohms you set the amp to are only a loose guideline and can sometimes be 1-1.5 ohms out. Running a mismatch is fine provided you're in the same ballpark. Not recommended, but it'll work.
People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Guitar-KID125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: