Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #21
.30over

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
I would imagine that there are quality differences in the wood, they use lower quality wood of the same type for the Omen than they do for the Stiletto. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense at all.

must have magic tuners that never need to be adjusted and know instantly what tuning you wish to play in and adjust accordingly!
.30over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
.30over

Just spent some time at GC going over almost every bass amp they had in stock.

Ampeg SVT classic was enough to make me want to do nasty, nasty things right there in the store!

Markbass combo with 2x8 had a good sound with alot of punch but a bit too much fart for me.

TC Electronics 250 watt combo had alot of options and some built in effects, didnt sound bad at all.

GK 700rb didnt seem to have much range in the settings...or maybe I didn't have the time needed to go thru the wide array of adjustments that it offered.

Gallien Krueger 200w combo was IMO the best sounding for my purposes (outside of the Ampeg of course.) They only had the 1x15 combo....gonna be looking into the 500 watt 2x12 or maybe even the 4x10 combos.!!!! Did have kind of a sterile sound...but my sansamp will clear that right up.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #23
Sliide90027

My interpretation on Beg. inter. and Pro is purely on price point which will commonly dictate build quality and resale value.

Probases are usually very well thought out and do not commonly wind up in the hands of beginners, In all reality, it does not pay well to make alterations to such Boutique instruments because of their point of origin and the planning that was put into their make up.

Beginner Basses are in my book new $300 and lower. Making alterations to these instruments one may find the electronics out pacing the stability of the build. One will never get any money out of their alterations.

Intermediate -$300 to $850 (well below the Boutique instruments) In this range you could have the attention of a second owner regarding the alterations that you make. It is a competetive market, and most of these instruments will come out of the factory ready to compete. Some will go for a Modulous Neck, change the Pickups, or the Preamp, even the Bridge. They are enough base value that the owner can jusify the modification.

So, we are talking purely price.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #24
Sliide90027

Quote:
Originally Posted by .30over
Just spent some time at GC going over almost every bass amp they had in stock.

Ampeg SVT classic was enough to make me want to do nasty, nasty things right there in the store!

Markbass combo with 2x8 had a good sound with alot of punch but a bit too much fart for me.

TC Electronics 250 watt combo had alot of options and some built in effects, didnt sound bad at all.

GK 700rb didnt seem to have much range in the settings...or maybe I didn't have the time needed to go thru the wide array of adjustments that it offered.

Gallien Krueger 200w combo was IMO the best sounding for my purposes (outside of the Ampeg of course.) They only had the 1x15 combo....gonna be looking into the 500 watt 2x12 or maybe even the 4x10 combos.!!!! Did have kind of a sterile sound...but my sansamp will clear that right up.

Was that with your Bass?

Interesting how your taste is between a Solid State amp and a Tube amp.

I prefer the 2x12. Play before you pay.

So you can see then how much a different animal any one of these Amps is to your present amp.

Good to hear you are making progress.

P.S. Million options to shape tone:
Yep, 3 band on Bass, 11 Band 9 Programs in the EQ20, 4 band on the First BP8, another 4 band on the Second BP8, 3 Band tone Shaper on Amp, 5 Band EQ on AMp, Tweeter attenuators on 2 cabinets, S/S Pre on Amp. Tube Pre on Amp, Tube Pre on First BP8, Tube Pre on Second BP8.

GEEEEZE!!!!!!! So even if I relegate one BP8 as a distortion Wah Pedal set up, I only dropped one preamp and one EQ.

Madness. Oh the Humanity

Last edited by Sliide90027 : 12-27-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #25
.30over

yes with my bass...Svt alone was enough.....but who can afford that.....Thinking the GK along with my sans amp will be plenty....tone achieved!

But since they only have the 1x15 in stock i will have to bu the 2 x 10 sight unseen

crap!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
.30over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliide90027

My interpretation on Beg. inter. and Pro is purely on price point which will commonly dictate build quality and resale value.

Probases are usually very well thought out and do not commonly wind up in the hands of beginners, In all reality, it does not pay well to make alterations to such Boutique instruments because of their point of origin and the planning that was put into their make up.

Beginner Basses are in my book new $300 and lower. Making alterations to these instruments one may find the electronics out pacing the stability of the build. One will never get any money out of their alterations.

Intermediate -$300 to $850 (well below the Boutique instruments) In this range you could have the attention of a second owner regarding the alterations that you make. It is a competetive market, and most of these instruments will come out of the factory ready to compete. Some will go for a Modulous Neck, change the Pickups, or the Preamp, even the Bridge. They are enough base value that the owner can jusify the modification.

So, we are talking purely price.

and I think that that is where I fall.....I could either change my bridge, or change electronics..or both and have a much better sounding bass. But could also take that money trade the bass in and get something with what I think Im looking for. So it works out bout the same. I end up with the same bass either way. Now my search for a better "sounding" bass might come down simply to which paint job I like better. Sounds stupid I know.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #27
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by .30over
yes with my bass...Svt alone was enough.....but who can afford that.....Thinking the GK along with my sans amp will be plenty....tone achieved!

But since they only have the 1x15 in stock i will have to bu the 2 x 10 sight unseen

crap!

If it's for full backline work I'd go for the 15.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #28
Sliide90027

Get the 2x12. Really.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #29
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliide90027
Get the 2x12. Really.

Are you a regular gigger and have you compared on stage 15 to 2x12?
The same with a 2x10 combo which is only usable as backline when augmented through the PA
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #30
.30over

I have not myself compared the GK 15 to the 2x10 or 2x12...wish I had that kind of cash though! I do own a 200w Acoustic Head with a 4x10 and 1x15 And I have noticed that I would much rather play through the 4x10 than the 1x15 in that instance. The 4x10 comes out clear and solid while I have to fight the EQ and gain structures to get anything but muddled low end nonsense out of the 1x15. Just going off of that example I have gained a distast for 1x15s. I like being able to plug in and already being close to where I want to be instead of screwing around with the amp-cab all night.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #31
.30over

For that reason Im really considering the GK mb410 and trading in my active Schecter for the Schecter Diamond Pbass 5 string along with my Sansamp pedal. And still have enough left for a bottle of JIm Beam Devils Cut Bourbon to break it all in.

Just havent seen much for reviews on the mb410!

Last edited by .30over : 12-31-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #32
Sliide90027

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swift
Are you a regular gigger and have you compared on stage 15 to 2x12?
The same with a 2x10 combo which is only usable as backline when augmented through the PA

I beat out 3 Stacks, that is 24 speakers, and the guitarist fired me for being too loud. That is with 425x, so 500 would be no problem as the OP said was possible if he waits.

People gravitate to my sound, and the musicians I have worked with are in awe. Even when I am down to 1 12.

I have had a 15" 2255 JBL running under a Crown MicroTech 1000 and 2 5" 8110's. I am extremely satisfied and shocked by this liitle 2x12 rig. Ieven over the Eden 410xlt under a Crown CE 2000. I prefer the clarity of the 12's.

I have absolutely no hesitations in recommending this direction.

I am sorry you doubt me.

Like you, I would not have chosen this direction from sight, only spec of cabinet freq. response and baltic birch cosntruction.

Rate This Thread: