Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
LazorFace

Marshall Class 5 for bedroom level?

Hello Forum,
At the moment i own a 80-watt amp (Fender USA M-80 Chorus) but this is way to loud for playing in my bedroom. Also this amp is not the one for me tone-wise.
I really like the Marshall sound John Frusciante and Jimi Hendrix get with their Plexi stacks.

With this i automaticly found myself loving the Marshall Class 5 head. But im not really liking the cab it comes with. Im thinking of getting the Head and then a Marshall 2x12 cab (maybe 2x10 of 4x10 but i have not found them yet) but Im afraid that this will make it too loud again.

show

Also, I've heard that you can use different Outputs, 8ohm, 16 ohm and headphone. Is the volume lower when using the Headphone output to power the cab?

If you have any suggestion how to install the cab so it has low volume, or maybe know a good cab for this purpose: I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Greet, Erwin
LazorFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
paul w1

I had the class 5 combo and it was ok ish but that's all. How about the DSL 15w combo, i'm going to try one myself soon for use at home. For what you will spend on a H&C you could get the DSL and still have low levels and Marshall tone, here is a clip.
paul w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Jyrgen
Used Register

I dunno, to unleash the best sound you can get out of it you pretty much need to crank it which will be loud. It might sound good at whisper levels... but then you're never utilizing its true potential. As a consumer, I'd find this a philosophical problem

Attenuators might be a solution but they're going to cost you extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
ikey_

you gotta find an amp that has very user friendly controls / tapers on the gain and volume knobs, and also sounds good at low levels.

some amps can easily sound "dead" until you open them up. to a degree, every amp will as almost all tube amps sound better loud. but in terms of low volume some better than others.

the amp you want might just not be the amp you want for bedroom playing.

i bought a DV MARK lil 40 to get down to 0.5 watts, still a no go, bought a tweaker 40, changed all preamp tubes and now i am finally happy with my bedroom tone. a lot of fuss over an amp....

and yeah. at 0.5 watts trying to overdrive el-34s...the DV MARK was still loud enough to get the cops called. i sounded like malcolm young in ACDC....but that doesnt matter if i get evicted.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)

Last edited by ikey_ : 12-17-2012 at 09:07 AM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
jpnyc

If you want good distortion tones at low volumes just get a distortion pedal to use through the clean channel of a practice amp.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

FWIW, the newer Class 5 has a low power switch which allows you to get some overdrive at very, very low volumes, low enough to play and not be heard in the next room.

I really like the class 5, it does a great old-school tone reminiscent of cream or some hendrix. If I had an extra $400 laying around, I would grab one in a heartbeat.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

The new DSL series is not that great. If you have the chance to try one out go ahead and see for yourself. I owned a 401 for a bit and then recently tried the 100 ad 15. Not as good as the old models in my opinion. That being said you should try th yourself to see if you like them. I only tried them for twenty minutes each and that was with stock cheap tubes.

You might want to consider the DSL401. You can find them used at decent prices.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
gregs1020
Hi mom!

or an old DSL201. the 20 watt version of the old amp which is somewhat rare but shows up used from time to time. one to keep an eye out for.

the new class 5 is good at lower volume playing in low power mode.

i was very unimpressed with the new DSL15c that i tried. i absolutely hated it with a passion. ymmv

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time

Low power mode would be a nice perk with the class 5. The new DSLs are fizzy and not like the older ones. Also, while an attenuator might not be bad in this situation I doubt it would be worth shelling out the extra cash for the benefit it confers. Maybe go for an OD pedal if you don't have one to get more gain at low volumes. No, it's not true power tube distortion but it should bring you closer to finding a sound you love without shaking the house down.

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
GeetarHeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
LazorFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
FWIW, the newer Class 5 has a low power switch which allows you to get some overdrive at very, very low volumes, low enough to play and not be heard in the next room.

I heard about this. I thought it was only in the combo version. Or am i wrong? If the head has this attenuator then i think my problem just got solved.

I guess the headphone out could be used to power the cab right?

Here's a shot of the back of the Class 5 head, it has a headphone out.
show

Here's a shot of the back of the Class 5 combo, it also has a headphone out, this turns the amp to low wattage when the plug is switched on and not used.
show
Old 12-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i think what you are picturing is the new version of the back of the combo and the first version of the head.

it should say "low power option".

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

I think it depends on what you're looking to get out of it an what your bedroom is, do you live in an apartment/dorm or like bedroom with your family?
I have a 5 watt as my main amp and at levels where it doesn't disturb everyone (about half volume) it sounds great, and when no ones home or whenever I'll turn it up all the way and it's awesome. Either way it will be a lot more practical than your old amp.
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Check out my soundcloud - Cold Things Never Catch Fire
jesus=dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul w1
I had the class 5 combo and it was ok ish but that's all. How about the DSL 15w combo, i'm going to try one myself soon for use at home. For what you will spend on a H&C you could get the DSL and still have low levels and Marshall tone, here is a clip.

That was just awful.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
LazorFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus=dinosaur
I think it depends on what you're looking to get out of it an what your bedroom is, do you live in an apartment/dorm or like bedroom with your family?
I have a 5 watt as my main amp and at levels where it doesn't disturb everyone (about half volume) it sounds great, and when no ones home or whenever I'll turn it up all the way and it's awesome. Either way it will be a lot more practical than your old amp.

I play in my room, wich is on the top floor of my folks detached home (is that the term?). My parents don't really tell me im to loud, it's mostly because of my own hearing. I don't want to get eardamage, my older brother has a permanent beep and i want to avoid that.

So i guess im looking for an amp that is less loud than a 80watt 2x12 but one that is not a shitty little practice amp.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

Ylu should look into getting good earplugs then. That way if your playing loud an it doesn't bother anyone else in the house it doesn't damage your hearing from being right next to it. Everybody should have some anyway if they gig, play with others, or even go to shows. If been made fun of for wearing them before but hearing damage is a lot less cool
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
LazorFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus=dinosaur
Ylu should look into getting good earplugs then. That way if your playing loud an it doesn't bother anyone else in the house it doesn't damage your hearing from being right next to it. Everybody should have some anyway if they gig, play with others, or even go to shows. If been made fun of for wearing them before but hearing damage is a lot less cool

Funny story bout that. I recently got tickets for a muse concert so i thought i need some plugs. So i went to the store and bought some. but then i forgot them at the counter. I was home when i realized...

Anyhow, I don't like to wear earplugs at home. Because i guess it makes playing guitar less excessable when you need to wear the plugs whenever playing.
Even though im getting earplugs, i still want a lower volume amp.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

Usually big stadium shows I don't feel them as necessary, but like smaller shows where your 10 ft from the amps drums and pa it can do some damage without them. I know what you mean it can be annoying, I only use them if I have my amp all the way up because that's the only time it's loud enough to make me feel weary.
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

There is some stupid in here.

No ear plugs necessary with a DSL401. It has a master volume and can get great sounds any volume and also work well in a band situation as it is 40w. It also as an effects loop which the new DSL 15 does not.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
There is some stupid in here.

No ear plugs necessary with a DSL401. It has a master volume and can get great sounds any volume and also work well in a band situation as it is 40w. It also as an effects loop which the new DSL 15 does not.

+1

also, the dsl is perfect for you, man
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I would think that non master volume amps of any wattage would not be good for use in the bedroom.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: