Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
It's okay Cath, calm down
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
What can you say except

__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
sysD
Registered User
 
sysD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: underground
I was talking about multi-effect pedals in contrast to single effect pedals.

Did you miss your shot of insulin or something...?
__________________
sigless
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Yes and you're wrong. MultiFX units make it easier to change settings, not harder. You only have to program it once.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
sysD
Registered User
 
sysD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: underground


you're so deadset on your opinion that i'm just going to continue to antagonize you.
__________________
sigless

Last edited by sysD : 12-19-2012 at 09:43 AM.
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Dude, how is that an opinion? What Cath said is a fact. MFX are set and forget. And because they're digital, you can't even accidentally mess them up like you can on a pedal. Explain your reasoning.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
It's my opinion that selecting a patch with a single button which changes ALL your settings is easier than having to adjust individual pedals between songs? That's not just an opinion, that's reality. It IS easier to change settings on a well programmed MFX unit. How is that an opinion?
You don't know what the **** you are talking about. Now go away.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #28
sysD
Registered User
 
sysD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: underground
i've never used a rack system, the only experience i have with multifx is one or two pedals i used (not mine) that required manual switching (via scrolling_) of fx. this meant that you'd have to scroll past "x" amount of fx to get to the one you wanted.

based on my experience, i found it much easier to have a pedalboard. plus, i like my analog. with a line switcher, different possibilities open up as far as presets... but more pedals are involved.

i've never really considered getting an fx unit >$300 because it never really seemed worth it. but then again i'm a creature of habit, and like i said - i likes my analogs.

however, imho, if digital is where you want to go, i think software is the way to do it. instead of having a rack, though, why not just have a laptop set up instead? you can have a virtually unlimited amount of presets with that option, as well as whatever amp modelling software and a DAW for recording at the same time...
__________________
sigless
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #29
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
TS - we do it for the TOAN.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...

Last edited by gregs1020 : 12-19-2012 at 10:08 AM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #30
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
The advantage of a rack is that it's all there ready to go, more reliable, no screwing around with computers, everything linked via MIDI. Dedicated units that do exactly what you want every time. Just turn it on, plug in and go. Laptops are fine for screwing around at home but keep that shit off my stage.
Your opinions are based on what inferior units do. To say it as a blanket statement about MFX units is simply wrong. Buy something decent and everything you said was totally wrong. People use racks for convenience. You program it once and never have to worry about it again.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #31
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
 
AcousticMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
no one cares about digital effects.
__________________
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
AcousticMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #32
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
no one cares about digital effects.


__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #33
sysD
Registered User
 
sysD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: underground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
The advantage of a rack is that it's all there ready to go, more reliable, no screwing around with computers, everything linked via MIDI. Dedicated units that do exactly what you want every time. Just turn it on, plug in and go. Laptops are fine for screwing around at home but keep that shit off my stage.
Your opinions are based on what inferior units do. To say it as a blanket statement about MFX units is simply wrong. Buy something decent and everything you said was totally wrong. People use racks for convenience. You program it once and never have to worry about it again.


Alright, noted.

Good dedicated dig units are expensive though - which is why I've never bothered with them.
If I can get a good OD, a wah, and a delay, all for under $500, I'm happy with that. There's a lot of superfluous fx that, honestly, I don't see myself using too often. eg ring mod

and i think you may be underestimating some of the pc software out there. i've gotten some pretty nice tones coming out of a program as simple as guitar rig running out to a cabinet. i think pc fx have their place on a stage
__________________
sigless
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #34
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysD
i've never used a rack system, the only experience i have with multifx is one or two pedals i used (not mine) that required manual switching (via scrolling_) of fx. this meant that you'd have to scroll past "x" amount of fx to get to the one you wanted.

By your logic I could say that Multi's sound better and are more durable than individual pedals because the GT-100 sounds better than a Behringer HM300 and is more durable.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #35
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
I've used pc's on stage. They shit me to tears. The amount of EM interference on most stages often locks them up - and it always happens at the worst possible time. The lights start going crazy at the climax of the song and the computer locks up. I have never had a rack unit lock up ever.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #36
sysD
Registered User
 
sysD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: underground
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
By your logic I could say that Multi's sound better and are more durable than individual pedals because the GT-100 sounds better than a Behringer HM300 and is more durable.


Lol alright, I admit my original post/argument was flawed.

I still think analogs sound better though.
__________________
sigless
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #37
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
 
Tempoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: On an Island
That way you just buy what you need/want, not a bunch of crap you'll never use
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #38
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Ah, gotcha there too. My GP-8 is mostly analog (apart from chorus and delay) with digital control.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #39
sysD
Registered User
 
sysD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: underground
*retreats into cave to ponder the meaning of life*
__________________
sigless
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #40
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow
 
darkwolf291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
At the end of the day, it all depends on what you want.
I have no use for a multieffects because I don't use enough effects to make one worth it.
I usually have to change from a clean tone with chorus, to a dirty tone, which I can do in one stomp.
Other than that, it's just turning on EQ and/or delay for a solo, or using wah.

Both have their uses, their downfalls, and their shortcomings.
The cheap ones usually are lackluster in everything, but are good for getting your feet wet.
__________________
My Name is Frank

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic


Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]


Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.



GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.