Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #41
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

The way I see it I have several favorite foods, but there isn't one restaurant that makes them all. In order to get all my favorite foods I have to go to several different vendors.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #42
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysD
"arrogence and self-awareness rarely go together...."

You need a mirror...

And language comprehension lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
The way I see it I have several favorite foods, but there isn't one restaurant that makes them all. In order to get all my favorite foods I have to go to several different vendors.

If you weren't so lazy, you could cook them all at home with better ingredients and a lower cost...

Last edited by Arby911 : 12-19-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #43
gumbilicious
beginner

i mainly use stand alone pedals because when i was younger the digital MFX setups were expensive, complex and in some cases didn't sound that good. there was basically more bang for the buck in pedals. (i still acquired a top-of-the-line rp20 at one point though, it was a bit disappointing)

today i still own quite a few pedals, but i do use much more digital effects and computer software effects. the DSP style effects have improved considerably (esp amp emulation), but the other big thing is i can get all these programs and effects for free. not much reason for me to ignore them.

maybe one day i'll get a standalone MFX hardware unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysD
i find that having to bend down and adjust a setting every time i need to switch fx is a hassle

its easier to just use individual stompboxes to get the sound you need at any given moment... plus lots of fun ways rearrange your fx chain to get diff sounds... as well as combining fx... which doesn't really happen with multifx pedals, unless you're going to buy something really high end.

this... this is a bad argument, i don't feel the need to address all the particulars but this is an over-generalized and grossly misrepresented interpretation of the problem.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 12-19-2012 at 03:19 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #44
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit190
is there any high quality multi effect that will give the same quality of a train of different delays,distortions and so?
Sure.... Because saying separate pedals has bearing on quality. If you want to be able to iteratively keeps swapping components until you achieve your tone nirvana then separate pedals are probably the only way to do this. And it can be very expensive.

IMO Cathbard has been owning the narrative. Gigging pros use digital multifx because they offer the simplest method to quickly change your tone up, which is necessary for bands covering a wide range of material. And because contrary to some belief even the distortion isn't necessarily crap. Sure you've got guys that will say the touch and feel to the tone doesn't inspire them like a tube amp. But a pro knows the job is done when the audience is thrilled with what they hear, not how the player feels the sound.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #45
Kato10

Never, ever heard a distortion on any multi-effects that I liked and distortion is the main effect I use other than reverb. And I really prefer spring reverb so that counts out multi-effects again. I also find that when running multi-effects in front of a good tube amp, the effects unit tends to make all of my guitars seem similar and doesn't let the true character of the guitar shine through. Maybe I'm just a cork sniffer, but after 30 years of gigging I know none of my friends use anything but stomp box pedals.

Gigging pros use digital multi-effects...really? And a pro cares more about the audience than the tone huh? A couple very questionable points of view you have there.

Last edited by Kato10 : 12-19-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Kato10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #46
Kato10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Dude, how is that an opinion? What Cath said is a fact. MFX are set and forget. And because they're digital, you can't even accidentally mess them up like you can on a pedal. Explain your reasoning.

Convenience over tone? Spoken like a true pro.
Kato10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato10
Gigging pros use digital multi-effects...really? And a pro cares more about the audience than the tone huh? A couple very questionable points of view you have there.

what's questionable about either of these points?
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #48
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
So you don't think that there are gigging pros that use multifx? And you find it questionable that a gigging pro would care that the audience likes the music? Weird

But maybe you are a gigging pro that doesn't ever worry if his band is going to be booked, and never had a bar owner that cared if the dance floor stayed packed all night. Stranger things have happened.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #49
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Never, ever heard a distortion on any multi-effects that I liked and distortion is the main effect I use other than reverb. And I really prefer spring reverb so that counts out multi-effects again. I also find that when running multi-effects in front of a good tube amp, the effects unit tends to make all of my guitars seem similar and doesn't let the true character of the guitar shine through. Maybe I'm just a cork sniffer, but after 30 years of gigging I know none of my friends use anything but stomp box pedals

you are a gigging pro, you don't like MFX: therefore all gigging pros don't like/use MFX.

i think that is a pretty questionable conclusion.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #50
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:

The fact of the matter is that very large touring bands have been using MIDI based rigs for what's getting close to 30 years. It's a great way to sort out all of the troubles of tap dancing. Personally, the only multi-effect I could have and be happy with it is the AxeII, though I'd still need a fuzz pedal because the fuzz models on it are lousy.

And if a musician gives more of a shit about his tone than he does about the audience, he's not a pro musician. The entire point of being a pro musician is to entertain people. If all you want to do is dick around with your tone, sit in your damn bedroom.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #51
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

I feel like their are no absolutes. If you know what you need, you can get away with using individual pedals. By that same token, you can also know what you need and get away with a Line 6 m or some such multi-fx. Mike Einziger of Incubus uses a bunch of pedals and the audience is thrilled. Teppei Teranishi of Thrice uses a Line 6 M13 and their audience is also thrilled. It's up to the individual to determine what best suits them. The glove doesn't fit all hands.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #52
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Some people only need less than five different effects (for example chorus, delay, wah, compressor and phaser). I didn't count reverb or distortion because reverb is usually built in your amp and almost every amp has an OD channel (and if it doesn't, just crank it up and you'll get distortion). If you only need five or less effects, multi FX might not be the smartest thing to buy because you get so many useless effects. And a good multi FX will cost more than five individual pedals.

Also when you buy individual effects, you can buy what you need at the moment and when you feel that you need more effects, you can buy them.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #53
mark66saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Using individual pedals doesn't mean you have to bend over and adjust things less often - quite the opposite. In fact so wrong that what people like myself have gone away from individual pedals precisely to avoid doing what you are claiming to be a MFX unit's shortcomings. It's pedals that suffer from that, not proper MFX units.

But have you thought that this "shortcoming" could be an advantage? Every room is different and will take your tone differently, and the ability to tweak your pedals on stage means that you can sound your best in any situation.
What if you decide on the night that you want a bit more dirt on that big solo, but instead of just cranking up the pedal, you have to go and get your manual out and start patching in a new channel during your sound check? Plus, no crazy oscillation from your delay pedals.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
mark66saints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #54
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark66saints
Plus, no crazy oscillation from your delay pedals.

Another thing that I should have mentioned. Some people need that and not many digital devices do that well, (if at all). There are just types of music that work better with at least some individual pedals like an analog delay. There's no way around the fact that some people need one or the other. There can't be an absolute.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals
Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #55
monwobobbo

i confess that i'm kinda old school as pedals were what i was brought up on. having said that i also don't really use many fx so never felt the need to program a mfx unit. i also like the flexibility pedals offer. love the phaser but not the delay well you're stuck with a mfx unit all or nothing (and yes i know you can loop other fx in but that kinda defeats the purpose). my board only consists of an overdrive, wah, delay and phaser. never all on at once and usually not more than 2 at a time if that.

as far as touring "pros" not all of them use a bunch of fx and some hardly any at all. it's all about need, no right or wrong.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #56
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
If you weren't so lazy, you could cook them all at home with better ingredients and a lower cost...

Quote:
Convenience over tone? Spoken like a true pro.

...What? I don't sacrifice tone for convenience. I'm not using some $200 MFX, I have a GT-10. My tone altering stompboxes are an SD-1 and a CS-3, both black label. Yes there are more boutique options and always will be. But I'm not using crap by a long shot.

My stomboxes are always on, and in addition my GT gives me all the MIDI features I need, such as being able to switch from the Ultra channel of my JSX with EQ, reverb and slight delay, with optional synth & harmonizer FX on the aux controls, to the crunch channel on my JSX with just reverb and EQ with delay on an aux control, to a built in clean model into the poweramp of my JSX with a different EQ, reverb, delay and chorus on one of the aux controls.

All of that, all switched between instantaneously with "1", "2" and "3" on my GT.

Also not sure how people are calling stomboxes "flexible"... Good MFX are pretty much infinitely flexible. Yes, they take time to dial in, but that's not really the argument.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 12-19-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #57
gregs1020
Hi mom!

most of the gigging guys i know use a MFX.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #58
suffersystem
Death Valley Driver

Depends on the situation really. I've used my X3 Live at gigs, other times I have used my 6505+. Still thinking of just using the 4 cable method, but just can never seem to find the time to get it set up and play with the settings.
Epiphone Flying V
Epiphone SG with P90's
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4X12 cabinet
Line 6 POD X3 Live

http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyDriverPEI
suffersystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #59
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

I'm planning to go with 4CM and a multi effects unit for gigs. Going from from a clean to heavy distortion requires a lot of tap dancing for me otherwise.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #60
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

Maybe it's just me...but I've very rarely seen anyone using MFX, accept for guys playing bars when I visited Nashville and went 'touristing'. Most guys were just plugged straight into little tube combos though. I think it's just a Georgia/Florida thing. It's cool to be a touring act that has a pedalboard around these parts. I know some guys personally who love using MFX such as the PODHD500, but they also don't mind breaking out the pedals. One of my friends who is getting ready to tour pretty extensively, is a big fan of his Fulltone overdrive pedals.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals

Last edited by sg4ever : 12-19-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Rate This Thread: