Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Tab Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
nelliewilson

What is the tuning for Roots Of Oak by Donovan?

This has been bugging me for a while now. I cannot figure out what tuning Donovan is using on his song "Roots Of Oak". Anyone else want to take a guess?

Listen to it here: Roots Of Oak by Donovan
nelliewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

I think it's in standard but tuned to C instead of E.

Based on the harmonics and the low C.
RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
DON CZARSKI

DON CZARSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
crmrz

RealUnrealBob is right. The tuning is Standard, tuned down 2 steps. (C F A# D#G c)
You can tell by the harmonics intro. (x x 12+ 12+ 12+ 12+--- x x7+7+7+7+)

Verse starts with Em, D C...
crmrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Jhon marvi

Bla-bla-bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliewilson
This has been bugging me for a while now. I cannot figure out what tuning Donovan is using on his song "Roots Of Oak". Anyone else want to take a guess?

Listen to it here: Roots Of Oak by Donovan

I had never heard that song, but found it on youtube quickly enough.

You can easily start out by tuning your guitar to standard tuning intervals, but starting at C.

It does sound like he has a 'pair' of drone notes in there, so there will be some adjustments to make, but it will put you in the right neighborhood, so to speak.

I believe that the harmonics in the opening, give a really good clue.
Jhon marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
nelliewilson

Thanks for the input, guys. Donovan doesn't use a lot of alternate tunings so I was a little confused on where to begin to tab the song. Once I get a minute I'll get the chords posted.

Thanks RealUnrealRob and crmrz
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
nelliewilson

Alright. This is what I got. Any corrections are welcome.

Code:
(Tuning: C F A# D# G C) Intro: (Sounds of wind blowing) |--(12)-------(7)-------(12)-------(7)--------| |--(12)-------(7)-------(12)-------(7)--------| |--(12)-------(7)-------(12)-------(7)--------| <---Harmonics |--(12)-------(7)-------(12)-------(7)--------| |---------------------------------------------| |---------------------------------------------| |--------------------------------0------------| |----0-0--0--0--0--0--0--0-0--0--0------------| |---------------------------------------------| |----2-0-------------------------2------------| |---------2--0----------------2---------------| |--0------------3--2--3--2-0------------------| Verse: Em Shadow of cloud falls D And with it a chill C High o'er heather Em Hawk hover the hill Em Just begun is my journey D And Dono's my name C I am the juggler Em Of fortune and fame Chorus: E Let me not hear facts figures and logic G Fain would I hear lore legends and magic Feathers of raven Slithers of coal Armour of silver In the mackerel shoal Sun in the west T'is ruby blood red Travelers a-weary Do make their bed Let me not hear facts figures and logic Fain would I hear lore legends and magic Outro riffs: |-----------------| |-----------------| |--5p3------------| |------3h5-5------| |------4/2--0-----| & |--2/4------------| |--------------2--| |-------------2---| |-----------------| |-----------------| |-----------------| |-----------------|

Rate This Thread: