Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
xAnon125X
is a married man

How to Extend Vocal Range

hello, im 16yo and currently have a vocal range of G2-Eb5 (basically, im a tenor). I was wondering if there was someone out there who could give me some more pointers in terms of rasing my vocal range.

to have an idea of how high id like my voice to get, just youtube Sleeping With Sirens or Chiodos. thanks in advance
Old 12-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAnon125X
hello, im 16yo and currently have a vocal range of G2-Eb5 (basically, im a tenor). I was wondering if there was someone out there who could give me some more pointers in terms of rasing my vocal range.

to have an idea of how high id like my voice to get, just youtube Sleeping With Sirens or Chiodos. thanks in advance

Practice scales and exercises and spend time doing them at the extremes of your range. Over time you might be able to extend your range a couple notes, but it's not going to go through any extreme changes. If you haven't had lessons they might help you use your full range if you aren't using it yet.
RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Just to make sure we're talking the same thing:

G2 = 6th string, third fret
Eb5 = 1st string, eleventh fret

Yes?

If so, this is already just shy of three full octaves. If you are doing this WITHOUT ANY falsetto, your range is already freakishly large. Like Bruce Dickenson.

I'm going to guess that the Eb is in falsetto, as maybe one male singer in 10 000 can sing that high - at least with any kind of convincing "full voice."

I'd say your first task is to find out what your range is without falsetto.

Based on your lowest note being a G2, this is consistent with a baritone, which is what 80% of male singers are. Based on that, your highest "natural" note in full voice is probably somewhere around G4 or a little better. Statistically, this is much more likely that you are among the 80% of male singers as opposed to being the 1 in 10 000.

This being the case, start in the middle of your range - say G3. (open G) Find some excercises that stay within a third or so and gradually move them upwards and downwards towards the top and bottom of your range. When you have to start clenching and pushing and squawking, you've gone too far. Stop when you can nail it nice and clean in full voice, and then go up maybe one more semitone. Do the same thing going downards.

Always start in the middle and work your way to the outer limits, but don't over-extend those outer limits. It will take time, and forcing it won't get you there any faster.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: